marley watkins

jagster

• 1 year later...

Marley's done a great job so far in his 'makeshift' role up top for us. He seems to have a knack of getting himself into goal-scoring positions - so, as much as I'd like us to eventually have a more natural striker, I'm happy with how Hughes has managed to adapt the team after Billy.

I see that Watkins is now just one booking away from a suspension! It'll almost certainly occur at some stage soon. Will be interesting to see what formation we play if/when it happens!

I only saw Watkins up front, live, at Partick last week, and just the highlights this week.  But I really like his strength there.  Yes, he has missed a few chances, but who doesn't? Billy's 'one on one' record was not great.  At least Watkins showed he can get in goal scoring positions.  The goals will come.  I only hope we can hang on to him.

• Agree 1

Marley's done a great job so far in his 'makeshift' role up top for us. He seems to have a knack of getting himself into goal-scoring positions - so, as much as I'd like us to eventually have a more natural striker, I'm happy with how Hughes has managed to adapt the team after Billy.

I see that Watkins is now just one booking away from a suspension! It'll almost certainly occur at some stage soon. Will be interesting to see what formation we play if/when it happens!

...and a silly booking on Saturday (dissent). Hopefully a back-up plan is at the ready....Christie? Ferguson? Trialist?

• Agree 1

Agreed. 

By the way, one of the gripes I have with the English language is that "resign" and "re-sign" are so similar, and yet so different!

Yes, it's a funny one (albeit not very amusing!) and is made worse by the different meanings of "resign".  If you resign from a post it means you no longer wish to accept the terms and conditions etc of that post.  Yet if Marley does not re-sign, we will have to resign outselves to that fact in the sense that we have to accept it whether we like it or not.

I only saw Watkins up front, live, at Partick last week, and just the highlights this week.  But I really like his strength there.  Yes, he has missed a few chances, but who doesn't? Billy's 'one on one' record was not great.  At least Watkins showed he can get in goal scoring positions.  The goals will come.  I only hope we can hang on to him.

Agree with that.  Everyone assumes a one-on-one should be a certain goal, but keepers train for them as well!  Watkins movement and pace is creating the chances, and his finishing is bound to improve.

Most of our strikers (denzil, billy etc) were quite poor at one on ones. The only man with any composure was Iain Stewart. If you have enough composure to lift the ball rather than just drive it, you'll score nearly every time. Some strikers can play it through the goalie's legs but that takes composure too.