FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Strengthen during transfer window?

Guest Mahonio

p.s

draw a line approx. from Fort William to Arbroath.

To my thinking and (Google Maps) above that line is North of Scotland.

I've been to ICT games in Montrose in the past, and believe me, I didn't feel like I was in the 'North of Scotland'!!

Edited by Sneckboy

The 1st time we got promoted to the spl was when?

The list shown above makes our current squad look like superstsrs!

"Northern" players from the side we won Division One with in 2004 were (including subs) -

• Ross Tokely
  • Michael Fraser
  • Richie Hart
  • Grant Munro
  • Stuart Golabek
  • Charlie Christie
  • Liam Keogh
  • Russell Duncan
  • Roy McBain
  • Darren Mackie (came in on loan for a while)

An all-Scottish team with a good chunk of it being northern players.

Edited by Renegade

Renegade! No! Please! You, Kingsmills, IHE, DoofersDad, Wyness101, TheMantis and tm4tj (and a few others) are my usual favourite posters to read! Always well informed, reasoned and insightful.

I can't believe with your in-depth knowledge of the football-landscape you would make such a schoolboy error of thinking Warren was suspended this weekend! I can only assume you're under hostage in your own home by theeagle

Anyway, I apologise if I misinterpreted you and fraser's posts. I assumed when he said 'the team that got us into the SPL' meant 'the team that got us into the SPL'

I took the question at face value. If I was promoted at work in a certain year but didn't cut it and so was demoted, fair do's. However, if I performed well and got re-instated back to my higher position, great. If I was asked when did I got promoted to my higher position, I certainly wouldn't think the questioner was referring to the first time!

That's why I responded with the team that got us promoted to the SPL. The 2010 version. But I've been drinking brandy.

Looking at the squad from our first promotion, it certainly had more North players than Butcher's squad of 5 North. (2 Highland, 3 Aberdeen)

Anyway, I'm joking about, Renegade. I do like reading certain posters comments more than others. Your views usually reflect my feelings...and your team line-up forecasts are often the closest. Kudos! 

We need another attacker this January. We have lost Curtis, Toby's future is in doubt and McKay's future is uncertain. We do have Pepper who should probably be offered another chance in the first team.

Some cover in midfield would also be useful. Particularly because Foran and JV are out.

What about Farid El Alagui?  Fallen out of favour at Brentford apparently.  Proven goalscorer in Division One at Falkirk, and offers something to Mckay.  Don't know if he'd come here, but he'd be a good signing I think.

Good chance we will see him at the TCS on Sunday. Unfortunately, not for us.

What about Farid El Alagui? Fallen out of favour at Brentford apparently. Proven goalscorer in Division One at Falkirk, and offers something to Mckay. Don't know if he'd come here, but he'd be a good signing I think.

We should have got him or Lyle Taylor.

• Agree 1

What about Farid El Alagui? Fallen out of favour at Brentford apparently. Proven goalscorer in Division One at Falkirk, and offers something to Mckay. Don't know if he'd come here, but he'd be a good signing I think.

We should have got him or Lyle Taylor.

Will be Daryl Duffy or Pedro Moutinho now I reckon  :tongueincheek:

In all seriousness another striker is definitely needed. Too risky relying on blooding youngsters. If they were making an impression then they would have dislodged Toby ages ago and he would have been away even earlier. Whether Billy is sold or gets injured it aint worth the risk. 

Our recent managerial appointment means that Europe is probably beyond us. Our good start to the season means that relegation is not an issue. Maybe the second half of this season is precisely the time to blood youngsters as cover for injury and suspension.

• Agree 1

Our recent managerial appointment means that Europe is probably beyond us. Our good start to the season means that relegation is not an issue. Maybe the second half of this season is precisely the time to blood youngsters as cover for injury and suspension.

It's positivity such as this that adds real value to every conversation on this forum at the moment.

• Agree 4

Kwesi Appiah....this guy would do a really good job for us, mobile, strong, eye for the goal, perhaps not had enough chances at CPFC, and unlikely to with them in the EPL level but ....

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Football-League-clubs-line-Crystal-Palace-striker/story-20415863-detail/story.html

Watched him at Cambridge and hes a top drawer player, would love him here

With TB leaving and taking his team he will have probably got a list of targets already lined up and potentially scouted from when they were still here. Do we even have a network at the moment and based on the limited time Yogi has been here can we expect an influx of quality players even if we had the budget? Tying key players to longer deals (Draper) has to be the Jan priority and keeping Billy here. Unless we can get real quality additions for midfield and up front then there is little point if they are going to be no better than what we have as we can play Polworth, Christie and Toby and give youth a chance.

Just to clarify something regarding the scouting at ICT....as I understand it.  Marsella was not the only scout, he was the chief scout.  What this meant was that ICT's other contacts would highlight potential targets and Marsella would then spend time travelling around to have a look at them for himself before giving the nod to TB on the ones he thought were worth consideration.

Yogi has added a few of his own contacts to that network and I believe there's 2 or 3 people he trusts in the same was as TB trusted Marsella.

Only time will tell on how effective the setup remains, but with Yogi looking inwards as well as outwards then hopefully we'll see more opportunity for our own youngsters and a reduced dependence on bringing players in from afar.

Seemingly Hughes (and Brian Rice), used to go down for matches in England quite regularly themselves looking for players when they were at Falkirk.  I wonder if they'll be doing that here?

I heard somewhere as well that Hughes was at Tannadice the other day watching our upcoming opposition.  I don't remember Butcher or Malpas ever doing that, unless it went unreported of course.

I see Rory Fallon is being released by St Johnstone.  There was a time just after the World Cup where I'd have taken him, but he was pretty poor at Aberdeen, before being supposedly horrifically bad in Perth!  I wonder if that's who Hughes is talking about.

Edited by Renegade

Guest Mahonio

Surely its more likely to be Maierhofer seeing as he was been rumoured about on Twitter a couple of days ago, as someone posted on thread about Agdestein?

I notice the boy is a free agent but on wiki it says he was with Koln in 2013 so must have been released in last week or 2.

Maierhofers pedigree is quite good and if he can do it Austria he should manage in Scotland to bang to bang them in. 98 goals in 247 games is a very good goals to game ratio. Better than 1 in 3. He's 2 metres tall so he's got aerial presence.

If we get him I'd be quite happy. I don't care if he's flopped at Koln. They're in the German 2nd league which is probably stronger than the SPL these days. he was good at Red Bull the year before -15 goals in 39 games.

he's vastly experienced too. Great for us. We have a young squad.

I doubt it would be Rory Fallon as he's only just been released. Touch wood.