FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

How significant is Greg Tansey to the side

Eagle4Caley

Since Tansey has re-signed, he has only been on the losing side once.... how significant is his presence in the side, he seems to be the first name on the sheet (in midfield anyway)

I accept that Vincent, Watkins and Foran have all come back into the side over roughly the same period, but usually they haven't played full games as match fitness is being built up

Aaron Doran's form has also improved since mid- January is he getting more licence to roam with Tansey anchoring midfield

Is Tansey more of a replacement for Tudor-Jones than Vincent is?

Overall we are looking quite a bit stronger now than this time last year.

I wouldn't say he's the first name on the team sheet every week. The likes of Brill, Shinnie, Meekings, Warren, McKay and Foran are almost certainly going to start games if fit.

With the options available to us in midfield, it's likely Tansey could find himself on the bench at times this coming month when we've EIGHT games to play - it could very well be horses-for-courses. He's an integral part of the squad, a cog in the machine, but it's maybe too early to be lauding him as the key man. Things can change very quickly in football....Just a few games ago, Danny Williams was a regular starter and a sudden unlikely hero after his goal in the 1-0 win at Pittodrie. He's hardly been seen since and has not even featured in the recent matchday squads of 18.

I think it's Foran that we miss more than any other individual player.  And the recent run of better from has a lot to do with him being back.  When he's not been playing we struggle, this has been the case for a while now.

Either way we have probably the strongest squad we have ever had at the moment.

• Agree 1

Most significant in terms of being a very well-timed re-inforcement in an area where we were starting to look thin,

although the players who covered when Foran, Vincent and Draper have been out did much better than I expected,

kudos to Nick Ross and Liam Polwarth, neither of whom looked out of their depth.

Watkins, Williams and Doran have all put in good shifts recently as well - The whole midfield has been covering each other's backs well.

I would say Tansey's chief contribution is that he's fitted back in so quickly. Fair play to him.

I wouldn't say he's the first name on the team sheet every week. The likes of Brill, Shinnie, Meekings, Warren, McKay and Foran are almost certainly going to start games if fit.

With the options available to us in midfield, it's likely Tansey could find himself on the bench at times this coming month when we've EIGHT games to play - it could very well be horses-for-courses. He's an integral part of the squad, a cog in the machine, but it's maybe too early to be lauding him as the key man. Things can change very quickly in football....Just a few games ago, Danny Williams was a regular starter and a sudden unlikely hero after his goal in the 1-0 win at Pittodrie. He's hardly been seen since and has not even featured in the recent matchday squads of 18.

Isn't Danny Williams away at the moment cos something happened to a member of his family? Sure I read that somewhere....

I have to say that I was unsure initially. I was never really that enamoured by him the first time round but he has beefed up, he was always mobile but his spell in Stevenage has clearly sharpened his tactical awareness and he is twice the player that he was - and he can only improve. Could become a real dead ball player for us as well.

I'm very pleased with his signing and contribution thus far, he gives us an option by sitting in alongside Draper letting Foran play upfront and support Billy which is an area we are really lacking. if anything having him has helped Draper too as I feel he has become a bit stronger and more aggressive playing in the Foran mould and letting Tansey be a bit more creative.

Both derbies have been rather telling in terms of what a full strength team can do. We were very much down to the bear bones when we played County on New Years day. Foran and Vincent were both injured, Watkins only lasted about half an hour and Tansey hadnt rejoined by that point.

Tansey has brought a different dimension to the midfield, he sees passes that no one else can pick out and I dont know if its just me but he seems to have beefed up a bit during his time away. Foran's leadership was dreadfully missed during his spell injured, he lead the line like no other on Tuesday. Vincent and Watkins were probably the best 2 signings of the summer next to Brill. Vincent has offered a great go between for midfield and attack while Watkins has proven himself to be the best of the 3 wingers signed over pre season. 

You add all that up and it comes as no surprise that the return of these guys has seen a major change in form. We are chocca with quality and the last 2 games have been a huge step forward under Yogi and Russell's tenure...hoping that there will be more to come. 

• Agree 1

He's that player who is confident enough in his own ability to always want to play the killer pass. A cocky arrogant streak. Was a little debilitating 1st time round perhaps but now he's a more mature player. More astute and technically better also.

first time round we seen glimpses of ability, and a great work rate. now hes an absolute baller, his range of passings tremendous, and has the added impetus of being a danger from the edge of the box and from freekicks. his addition to the side has made our midfeild one of the best in the league. scott brown and co will have their hands full saturday, and i reckon if we hold off celtics early pressure we're in with a great shout of 3 points. it's great to see him back in an ict shirt and playing so well.

All interesting comments... sounds like Tansey has come back a more mature player, and importantly adding something to the balance of the side, as does Vincent. With Watkins adding a bit of flair to the attack, it has taken the burden off some of the others. Doran in particular seems to be becoming more of a threat. Glad that Foran seems to have come back reinvigorated and providing McKay some support...when I was up in the autumn against Partick, Foran looked like a headless chicken!