FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

I was expecting Robbo to replace Dodds in the summer. It was common knowledge that there were issues between them and Robbo wanted him ousted during last season. I assume the cup reprieve stopped that happening.

I think the next two or three games will dictate what happens. Perhaps Robbo until the end of the season but I’d like to see Warren and / or Tremarco recruited to the coaching team to be a potential longer term appointment.

1 minute ago, Robert said:

I was expecting Robbo to replace Dodds in the summer. It was common knowledge that there were issues between them and Robbo wanted him ousted during last season. I assume the cup reprieve stopped that happening.

I think the next two or three games will dictate what happens. Perhaps Robbo until the end of the season but I’d like to see Warren and / or Tremarco recruited to the coaching team to be a potential longer term appointment.

I can't see them being interested under the current regime tbh. Time will tell though 

4 hours ago, Robert said:

This summary of his managerial doesn’t inspire me:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Kernaghan

He managed Clyde against us a few times but wasn’t a very good manager.
Think he inherited Alan Mainland’s side who were full of cloggers from the Juniors. 

3 hours ago, mazza20 said:

I may be misremembering Robbo's last stint, but felt he had us hard to beat but we lacked a proper goal threat, wonder if having Brooks and Mckay as options if his tactics would get better results this time

Had a quick look at Robbo’ s last spell. He kind of got us challenging eventually but the first 3 years or so we had players that would struggle to break into the current team… the era of Matty Elsdon, John Baird, Susan, Seedorf, Calder, Austin, White, plus Oakley whom some people rated but he couldnae hit a coo on the erse wi a banjo. It got better when Shane & Billy & Walsh came along but they were backed up by the likes of Allardice, Danny, Roddy and Welsh and even Deas. 

I know you can’t draw many conclusions by comparing manager’s win rates, due to them managing in different leagues etc, but I thought it was interesting to see that our managers ranked as:

1. 52% Robbo 1st spell

2. 47% Robbo 2nd spell

Also interesting to see that in 3rd place, Steve Paterson narrowly edges Billy Dodds, both on 44% - but what a contrast in the way they are remembered by fans! Bear in mind too that for some of his seasons with us, Pele had the luxury of a relatively expensive and eventually full time squad, in the part-time lower leagues.

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

I know you can’t draw many conclusions by comparing manager’s win rates, due to them managing in different leagues etc, but I thought it was interesting to see that our managers ranked as:

1. 52% Robbo 1st spell

2. 47% Robbo 2nd spell

Also interesting to see that in 3rd place, Steve Paterson narrowly edges Billy Dodds, both on 44% - but what a contrast in the way they are remembered by fans! Bear in mind too that for some of his seasons with us, Pele had the luxury of a relatively expensive and eventually full time squad, in the part-time lower leagues.

May be some rose-tinted glasses on my part, but I always thought the Pele era saw us play great attacking football utilising the full width and camber of our pitch, where we were just as liable to win 5-1 (quite a few of those scorelines back then) or lose 1-5. It was entertainment nonetheless and I seem to remember we also went some insane length of time without a 0-0 result. You always knew there would be goals, just not sure at which end or in what quantity! Ayr Utd in particular seemed to generate crazy scorelines. (even before TB's sermon in the stands). 

Nowadays, if it hits 1-0 (or 0-1) in favour of the opposition then you really wonder if we have the quality or tactical knowledge to get back into the game. Too often, the answer to that is no. 

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 2

The reason Pele is remembered so fondly, for me, is that he truly believed that his team could beat anyone, and he had the players believing it as well.  That meant that win, lose or draw, the football was always exciting to watch.

Unfortunately that became harder for any manager to maintain as we progressed through the leagues and the cost of failure brought with it a fear of losing.  Focus then shifts to being defensive and the priority being to avoid relegation.  It also becomes more expensive to just stand still as a team/club and whilst we've been blessed (for the most part) with people willing to throw money into the club, the returns diminish.

I have no issue with us being a Championship level club, or even a league 1 or 2 club, but it scunners me that we no longer have that sense of community and the entertainment has totally gone from the football.

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 2

3 hours ago, Yngwie said:

1. 52% Robbo 1st spell

2. 47% Robbo 2nd spell

We’d be in heaven if we thought we could get a 52% win rate again some time soon!!

It helps with context though, as does Moog’s post about Robbo’s issues a couple of years ago.

I also fully endorse STFU’s comments about the club’s lack of a sense of community. There needs to be a strong focus on healing wounds and being the community club we often say we are.

It is time for strong leadership both in terms of the football side but equally important in terms of the community side. But do we have anyone who can deliver that….??

12 minutes ago, Robert said:

We’d be in heaven if we thought we could get a 52% win rate again some time soon!!

It helps with context though, as does Moog’s post about Robbo’s issues a couple of years ago.

I also fully endorse STFU’s comments about the club’s lack of a sense of community. There needs to be a strong focus on healing wounds and being the community club we often say we are.

It is time for strong leadership both in terms of the football side but equally important in terms of the community side. But do we have anyone who can deliver that….??

In my mind club need to learn to listen again. Communication is a 2 way conversation. Been lacking for a long time now 

• Well Said 4

3 hours ago, STFU said:

The reason Pele is remembered so fondly, for me, is that he truly believed that his team could beat anyone, and he had the players believing it as well.  That meant that win, lose or draw, the football was always exciting to watch.

Unfortunately that became harder for any manager to maintain as we progressed through the leagues and the cost of failure brought with it a fear of losing.  Focus then shifts to being defensive and the priority being to avoid relegation.  It also becomes more expensive to just stand still as a team/club and whilst we've been blessed (for the most part) with people willing to throw money into the club, the returns diminish.

I have no issue with us being a Championship level club, or even a league 1 or 2 club, but it scunners me that we no longer have that sense of community and the entertainment has totally gone from the football.

Pretty well sums up how I feel too. Maybe an element of rose-tinted specs like Scotty but in all my years on the terracings I never enjoyed anything more than watching Pele’s teams win or lose whatever league we were in. Despite the euphoria of Helicopter Saturday when we beat St Johnstone I felt that it was never likely to be the same again, and I had that same feeling again in 2015 after the cup final win. Sadly my fears seem to have been well founded and my longing for a return of those magical Pele years now seems like a forlorn hope with the hierarchy we currently have. 

• Well Said 3

Looking through this evening if Charlie and Robbo get us the low end of Robbos  win rate at this level that would be 14 wins this season. 

That would keep us safe. 

That is our priority not some vitriolic attack on every employee of the club. 

The players are good enough. 

Let the players now prove it with support from Robbo and Charlie.

• Well Said 2

1 hour ago, Moogthurso said:

Looking through this evening if Charlie and Robbo get us the low end of Robbos  win rate at this level that would be 14 wins this season. 

That would keep us safe. 

That is our priority not some vitriolic attack on every employee of the club. 

The players are good enough. 

Let the players now prove it with support from Robbo and Charlie.

Charlie and Robbo are not being considered for the post according to CEO. 

I think as fans we are entitled to ask questions of how we got here tbh 

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic

On the radio tonight already, stealing Robb's Dingwall gig.

The guy has had a shocker and binned due to being utterly crap in management yet gets a gig on national radio giving his advice as an expert pundit just days later. Nepotism rife in the media as the old boys pat each other on the back.

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1