FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Paatelainen Given 6 Month Extension

johnnykipper

Marcus has done nothing to deserve this contract. Good of the club to help him out while injured but he has not cut it in the team whatsoever. I would like to be proved wrong but I don't think so.
he hasnt been given a long enough run in the team to prove himself

Guest CaleyJaggy

Sorry, this is a wind up yeah?  Markus has an(other) injury and we have extended his contract  :024:  This is too ludicrous for me to even go any further.  If he had shown some sort of promise I could understand but the guy seems to be injury prone and should be out the door if he can't stay fit, last time I checked ICT aren't a charity.

Dear people, I sincerely hope none of you become employers or injured employees. Imagine how you'd feel if you got injured carrying out your job and your employer dumped you. What ICT are doing here is ensuring this lad is able to afford to live through his recovery period. Recovering from an injury he recieved whilst in the employ of ICT. Had he been let go to fend for himself how many on here would be calling ICT all the heartless berstewards under the sun.

Tell me Alex. Lets say pantyliner gets injured again during his recouperation...do we just keep extending his contract indefinitley? I dont think so. That aside, he simply isnt up to the required standard.

Guest CaleyJaggy

Dear people, I sincerely hope none of you become employers or injured employees. Imagine how you'd feel if you got injured carrying out your job and your employer dumped you. What ICT are doing here is ensuring this lad is able to afford to live through his recovery period. Recovering from an injury he recieved whilst in the employ of ICT. Had he been let go to fend for himself how many on here would be calling ICT all the heartless berstewards under the sun.

His employer did not dump him, his contract was due to expire there is a huge difference there.  Gretna dumped Yantoro, although it was of his own asking, as they were skint and I would be against ICT doing that.

If, for example, I were self employed and was working a contract for another company and got injured, I'd not be rewarded with a new contract.  I would have to claim on insurance whilst recuperating.  Players should not rely on clubs feeling sorry for them, they should have their own health insurance or ensure adequate cover is written into their contracts.  In this case the club should pay markus' medical bills until healed and wages until contract expired.

At a time when the club appear to be making many decisions based on finances it seems ludicrous in the extreme that they have decided to continue paying the wages of a crocked player who has done little to break into the first team squad during his time here.

Some people may think that's harsh, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.  As many are so fond of saying....no one person is bigger than the team, and for us to be pissing away a wage in this manner when we desperately need to be bringing in new players defies belief.

Alex, you pointed out on another thread that the one difference in place we (surely) have maintained by drawing with St Mirren could secure that one extra player that could make all the difference, yet you seem to support the idea of wasting that wage on a player who is unlikely to bring anything to the table any time soon.....how does that work?

Fair play Blackieforce but when he has played I don't believe he has shown anything to make me think he is worth a new contract

hes shown more thna duncan and he got a new contract

True Duncan is no Ronaldo but he fights hard and occassionally has a good game, much more than Marcus I'm afraid.

This is not about wasting a wage. This is about good PR. Building a good reputation. Taking care of our own. Call it what you like. If the club is seen to care for its staff then there could well be long term benifits. Hibs starlets on loan to ICT? Players more willing to come because of the caring attitude? Who knows.

Would be good if you could direct me to that statement on another thread, about securing one extra player, though CD

I'm with Alex on this one, It's morally and ethically wrong to dump someone just because he is broken.  He broke whilst in our employment, we have to repair him then keep him or ship him on.

It's nice to be nice and mebbe's eh'm getting cynical in my old age but haveing watched Dundee nurture Lee Wilkie through his knee angst for several seasons and paid for trips to America for surgery etc,he, as all players these days,look after number one when push comes to shove.There's very little loyalty either way in football these days.

I'm with Alex on this one, It's morally and ethically wrong to dump someone just because he is broken.  He broke whilst in our employment, we have to repair him then keep him or ship him on.

I agree with Alex and M4TJ on this and it is right to help him out in this way. My point is that from a football perspective he should not get a new contract

Best PR coming out of the club for a while!

At the same time as we are trying to recruit and fighting against our geographical position and lower wage structure.

'Caring employer' is a selling factor!!

Maybe the club have an insurance plan that pays/part pays on a serious injury claim and it is not the cost to the club that we assume.  If not, maybe the cost to the club will be recouped by the aforementioned PR allowing a decent signing to be made due to this course of action.

This is not about wasting a wage. This is about good PR. Building a good reputation. Taking care of our own. Call it what you like. If the club is seen to care for its staff then there could well be long term benifits. Hibs starlets on loan to ICT? Players more willing to come because of the caring attitude? Who knows.

Would be good if you could direct me to that statement on another thread, about securing one extra player, though CD

I thought sure I read you say something about the ?70,000 "extra" we got for finishing above St Mirren could mean an additional player which would make all the difference on another thread, if it wasn't you then I apologise.

I can totally understand where people are coming from in terms of the "caring employer" thing, but I just feel that we can't afford to be caring and wasting a wage on someone who is very unlikely to kick a ball during the 6 month extension he's been given.  Perhaps if he'd been a long standing member of the squad and a large contributor over the season/past seasons that I could justify it in my head, but he hasn't.

I'd far rather see us spending that money on retaining the services of Wyness for another 6 months, at least he's (currently) fit and healthy and we know he is capable of making a positive contribution to the team.

If we had money to burn then yes, go for it, but for me, I just don't think we can afford to be making these gestures given the size of the club and it's tight financial position.