FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Reserve game today

Guest HowdenEndHibs

Guest HowdenEndHibs

Does any one ken when the reserve game today kicks off at the Tulloch?? Cant see anything about it on the site or the Courier.

cheers.

3-0 to ICT. First goal was a bit of a scramble and could have been an OG, although we had McAllister who looked like he had a foot out and Park there or there abouts with Gillespie chasing in (i.e. The ball was going in one way or another...lol). Then a double by Shane Sutherland who came on as a sub.

Lineups........

ICT

Esson

Scott-Woodhouse

Djebi-Zadi

Munro

Proctor

Duncan

Wilson

Gillespie

McAllister

Park

Sutherland Z

Subs - Allison (GK), Finnie, Rennie, Morrison, Sutherland S

HIBS

Grof

McCann

Hanlon

Thicot

Gatheussi

McCormack

Tantorno

Wilson

Pinay

Campbell

Cropley

Subs - Flynn (GK), Wotherspoon, Welsh, Currie, Moyes

Game was a bit slow to get going. A bit like Saturday where we never looked in danger but weren't producing that final ball. We then scored from a lovely cross ball which scrambled around a bit before finally dropping in to the back of the net.

Duncan came off at half-time and was replaced by Connor Rennie and then Shane Sutherland replaced Daniel Park at the front and scored within seconds of coming on to the park and then squeezed a second one under the keeper to put the game beyond Hibs.

Some brilliant play and passing by ICT in all areas of the pitch and Barry Wilson was encouraging the young boys and working well with them...calling them in to position and having them make runs etc. On the opposit side of the pitch Zander Sutherland was running up and down the wing for fun and tackling back like really well when needed.

Djebi-Zadi had a fairly solid game although his passes were a little astray when he was pushing forward and looking to play the diagonal ball.

And yet again Rory McAllister plays a blinder for the reserves.....he worked flat out for 90 minutes, was controlling long balls that were coming to him and was strong on the turn and in holding the play waiting for support....unlucky not to have bagged a couple of goals for himself.

Esson didn't have much to do.....quite literally. He only had one save to make the whole game. Hard to judge a keepers shot stopping in a situation like that, bit his positioning and awareness of what's going on in front of him and the ability to ping a quick ball to a player for a counter-attack is head and shoulders above Fraser IMO. I remember someone commenting about his kicking being suspect in the cup match (?)...I can assure you it was spot on today.

An enjoyable game and worth the wander down to the Stadium.

Great to hear.

A much needed confidence boost for quite a few of the boys who haven't been involved in the first team recently. I'd imagine the likes of Rory, Barry and Proctor might get a look in for the Morton game. Here's hoping Zander makes the most of any subs appearances that come his way, as I don't think he'll be starting anytime soon :rotflmao:

3-0 to ICT. First goal was a bit of a scramble and could have been an OG, although we had McAllister who looked like he had a foot out and Park there or there abouts with Gillespie chasing in (i.e. The ball was going in one way or another...lol). Then a double by Shane Sutherland who came on as a sub.

Lineups........

ICT

Esson

Scott-Woodhouse

Djebi-Zadi

Munro

Proctor

Duncan

Wilson

Gillespie

McAllister

Park

Sutherland Z

Subs - Allison (GK), Finnie, Rennie, Morrison, Sutherland S

HIBS

Grof

McCann

Hanlon

Thicot

Gatheussi

McCormack

Tantorno

Wilson

Pinay

Campbell

Cropley

Subs - Flynn (GK), Wotherspoon, Welsh, Currie, Moyes

Game was a bit slow to get going. A bit like Saturday where we never looked in danger but weren't producing that final ball. We then scored from a lovely cross ball which scrambled around a bit before finally dropping in to the back of the net.

Duncan came off at half-time and was replaced by Connor Rennie and then Shane Sutherland replaced Daniel Park at the front and scored within seconds of coming on to the park and then squeezed a second one under the keeper to put the game beyond Hibs.

Some brilliant play and passing by ICT in all areas of the pitch and Barry Wilson was encouraging the young boys and working well with them...calling them in to position and having them make runs etc. On the opposit side of the pitch Zander Sutherland was running up and down the wing for fun and tackling back like really well when needed.

Djebi-Zadi had a fairly solid game although his passes were a little astray when he was pushing forward and looking to play the diagonal ball.

And yet again Rory McAllister plays a blinder for the reserves.....he worked flat out for 90 minutes, was controlling long balls that were coming to him and was strong on the turn and in holding the play waiting for support....unlucky not to have bagged a couple of goals for himself.

Esson didn't have much to do.....quite literally. He only had one save to make the whole game. Hard to judge a keepers shot stopping in a situation like that, bit his positioning and awareness of what's going on in front of him and the ability to ping a quick ball to a player for a counter-attack is head and shoulders above Fraser IMO. I remember someone commenting about his kicking being suspect in the cup match (?)...I can assure you it was spot on today.

An enjoyable game and worth the wander down to the Stadium.

Don - or anyone else who gets to reserve matches - does Zander look worth a chance in the first team to you, even half an hour as a sub or whatever? On one hand people are criticising Brewster for sticking with the young players on Saturday (although having been at Falkirk I thought it was a justified decision); on the other, some are calling for Zander to get a run. Midfield's probably the hardest part of the team to break into, but maybe his creativity's what we need?

Struan stays just up the road from me. Good to see him progressing well.

Who's the lad Park up front?

he's from aberdeen, well i think he is, he played for cove rangers before going to caley's youth system.

Edited by CaleyP

Don - or anyone else who gets to reserve matches - does Zander look worth a chance in the first team to you, even half an hour as a sub or whatever? On one hand people are criticising Brewster for sticking with the young players on Saturday (although having been at Falkirk I thought it was a justified decision); on the other, some are calling for Zander to get a run. Midfield's probably the hardest part of the team to break into, but maybe his creativity's what we need?

I don't think it's so much about whether or not he is worth a chance as opposed to just biding his time till the chance comes along (and it will). I've said for a while that I'd love to see Wilson starting on the wing and tiring out defences and then Zander coming on to run circles round a tiring opposition...part of my logic was that he wasn't the strongest person on the ball, but from what I saw of him today he's muscled up a bit and isn't knocked around as easily as he used to be so could very well do a job from the start.

Some of his balls into the box today were on a par with what we used to see from a young Barry Robson and I think he (Zander) is the closest thing we've had to an out and out winger since Robson left....Wilson was equally efficient on the opposite side of the park.

St Mirren used the width of our pitch against us on Saturday, but today I watched a game where we were the ones using the width to great effect....that's what we need to be doing at home and Zander and Wilson are the type of players to do it.

One big advantage from going to reserve matches is that you can hear everything that is said among the players and Zander was getting a lot of plaudits, encouragement and direction from his team mates.....as were all the young lads. In fact, Esson, Wilson and Munro were real leaders on the pitch today and working the younger lads through the game really well, and the younger lads were responding to great effect.

Granted it wasn't the most experienced of Hibs squads, even for a reserves, but our mix of youth and experience seemed to work really well out on the park today and everyone seemed to understand what the other was up to for the most part.

As you said, our midfield is probably one of the hardest areas of the team to break in to at the moment and with Imrie, Cowie, Wilson & McBain seemingly ahead of him in the pecking order he'll just have to bide his time and be ready to do as the other young lads have done and give Brewster no excuse to drop him again when the opportunity does arise.

Away to Hearts might not be the best time for him to get that opportunity given the hacking physical nature of their game and the narrow pitch, but Zander playing wide at home is a good prospect IMO.

Incidentally, Wilson played 90 minutes today and worked hard all the way through....I may have to reconsider my opinion that he's no longer capable of lasting a full match and I certainly think he's wasted as a 10 minute "super-sub" at the end of games.

When Brewster plays we lose.

When brewster doesnt play we win.

Strange isnt it.

That is a remarkably strange post...

Cheers Don. You're voicing pretty much what I suspected. Was interested though, because as far as I remember, Zander got first tem experience before Vigurs and has been our "next big thing" for at least a season now, but Vigurs seems to have overtaken him in the pecking order. Possibly less competition in Vigurs preferred area of midfield, or has Vigurs simply developed more quickly.

Strange isnt it.

Cheers Don. You're voicing pretty much what I suspected. Was interested though, because as far as I remember, Zander got first tem experience before Vigurs and has been our "next big thing" for at least a season now, but Vigurs seems to have overtaken him in the pecking order. Possibly less competition in Vigurs preferred area of midfield, or has Vigurs simply developed more quickly.

yeah i would say vigurs has overtaken him but that might be down the fact that vigurs is physically a lot stronger than zander but once zander gets physically stronger which he will do, he'll be in with a shout. you cant compare vigurs and zander though because they are different players with different footballing styles. although iain is being played on the wing iain is a centre midfielder and zander is an out and out winger. i would like to see zander givin his chance this season but i wouldnt compare iain and zander for the above reasons.

Strange isnt it.

yeah i would say vigurs has overtaken him but that might be down the fact that vigurs is physically a lot stronger than zander but once zander gets physically stronger which he will do, he'll be in with a shout. you cant compare vigurs and zander though because they are different players with different footballing styles. although iain is being played on the wing iain is a centre midfielder and zander is an out and out winger. i would like to see zander givin his chance this season but i wouldnt compare iain and zander for the above reasons.

Yeah, having seen Vigurs at Killie last season, I always assumed he was a central midfielder. Was surprised to see him playing as our widest player at Falkirk. That suggests that Brewster does feel we need options on the wings but also, as you suggest, that he thinks Zander hasn't developed sufficiently to perform that role in the first team yet.