Good ending to a terrible game

RedCard

Well we scraped through against a poor Partick team today and we even won on penalties which was a slight bonus after our last trip to Firhill.

Happy we won and great to see a defence consisting of Golly and Granty, we just needed big Bobby and it would be 2002 all over again :lol:

Well we scraped through against a poor Partick team today and we even won on penalties which was a slight bonus after our last trip to Firhill.

Happy we won and great to see a defence consisting of Golly and Granty, we just needed big Bobby and it would be 2002 all over again :)

I will accept that your knowledge of the strength of the PT team is better than mine!

Listening to the BBC radio broadcast, it was evident that this was a tactical game in the main, with our plan being better than theirs in the first half and their and our changes at half time putting them on top.

It was remarked upon that our players individually were 'good buys' but still to knit into a team. They underlined this by stating that for years the ICT players names were known to them pre the team sheets and now they had difficulty identifying them.

Following this game I bet our management team would like to sign a few of the 'poor' PT players if they had an option!!

I thought i was a pretty awful game to watch myself... Neither team did much in the final third, the first half was ours and the second half definitely theirs. Not entertaining stuff at all, pretty hard work and as soon as Thistle equalised it was always going to penalties.

Plus points - defence looked a lot stronger, certainly more confident. There wasn't the sharp intake of breath every time our left back got the ball! Golly looked solid and fit, touch wood that continues. Granty looked lot more comfortable yesterday too and Bulvitis continues to improve. If the 5 at the back (Esson, Tokely, Munro, Bulvitis, Golabek) stay injury free and settle then it looks promising for a good defensive season, lot of cool, experienced heads in there.

Still not convinced by the midfield though, maybe it's a experience thing - Hayes, Stratford, Cox, Eagles are all pretty young and and without much first team time anywhere else. I'd like to see 4-3-3 and how that would work, Duncan or McBain coming in to add experience to the midfield with Stratford and Cox then Foran as a target man with Hayes and Eagles going up the sides and sitting on the opposition full backs. If the defence is solid we can afford the 'extra' attacker and probably makes us bit more difficult to play than most teams in this division who play a strict 4-4-2.

A win is a win. Good to win at Firhill.

Iv prematurly said that we were out both of the cups. Not anymore :lol:

Oops :lol: If we win at Motherwell (even though we lost 3.0 to Dundee United) i will be amazed.