FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The next penalty

CELTIC1CALEY3

Who remembers Lord Lucan? Can you recall where you were when Jim Calder sat on his crossbar during a match? Did you see Thommo score against Stenhousemuir in the Scottish Cup? Did you ever see Denis Wyness get booked?

Trivia, but as modern day ICT supporters, can you recall the last penalty? I guess Rooney took it?

So when will an ICT be adjudged to have been fouled in the box - yet another Highland mystery. Ross County had their first penalty of the season Saturday. So is their bias against ICT and County or are our players just plain honest?

Who thinks our next penalty might in fact be five penalties at the end of extra time with Dunfermline?

Will five of our players know what to do or will the referee have to give them a demonstration?

Waiting to see if we go a whole season without one. I actually like that our players are honest but it probably doesnt help us gain anything.

Hope to goodness next week isnt decided on pens but if it is hope esson is on the pitch.

Edited by old caley girl
  • Agree 1

We actually had a penalty in one of the pre season friendlies (Yeovil I think), taken very competently by Tansey.

Its an interesting question as to who our penalty takers would be in the event of a penalty shoot out.

Subject to them being in the team I think I'd go for Tansey, Hayes Tokeley, Gillet and Foran.

As OCG said, if we were in a penalty shoot out I'd definitely want to see Esson in goal for us. After last Saturday surely there is no longer any doubt that he is our no. 1.

The whole "going a full calendar year without getting a penalty" thing isn't strictly true...yet.

We had a penalty against Celtic in the Scottish Cup on 16th March 2011....scored by Adam Rooney on 44 minutes. Celtic then equalised from the restart and again on 68 minutes to deny us a place in the Semi Finals.

The whole "going a full calendar year without getting a penalty" thing isn't strictly true...yet.

We had a penalty against Celtic in the Scottish Cup on 16th March 2011....scored by Adam Rooney on 44 minutes. Celtic then equalised from the restart and again on 68 minutes to deny us a place in the Semi Finals.

With any luck we can get a years worth of penalties in the one game in a couple of weeks time.

Can I agree with Capital Caley - please. ICT fans will be surprised and delighted with the next ? penalty awarded for us, But not in a penalty shoot-out v Dunfermline next Wednesday, please....

have we even had a penalty shout this year? we can't feel has if we're being hard done by if there's no reason to give us a penalty.

Three in the first game against Hibs and 2 against Rangers at Ibrox spring immediately to mind, I'm sure that others will come up with a few more.

Of course if we do actually ever get one, do you think it would be worth practising this ?

• 2 weeks later...

I can recall being present at 3 shoot outs.

1) Losing to Alloa in our first Challenge Cup Final

2) Winning at Dunfermline in the League Cup (when we were Div 1 and they were SPL)

3) Winning at Arbroath in the League Cup (when we were SPL)

Off the top of my head I can't think of any others but there were probably some more in the early early rounds of these wee cups.

In addition to that I can remember-

Losing to lower league Partick away in the Scottish Cup, live on Sky.

Beat Stranraer in Scottish cup in 2nd/3rd divison, and playing Hamilton in the next round at home and losing 3-1.

Lost to Motherwell in the League cup 4-1 on pens or something ridiculas like that.

Beat Partick at home in League cup in lower leagues

Beat 3rd division Montrose on pens in Challenge cup in 2009-10. (I remember this as I stuck £100 on Caley to win, for a potential gain of £20!!)

I'm sure there has been more as well.

• 1 month later...

In addition to that I can remember-

Losing to lower league Partick away in the Scottish Cup, live on Sky.

Beat Stranraer in Scottish cup in 2nd/3rd divison, and playing Hamilton in the next round at home and losing 3-1.

Lost to Motherwell in the League cup 4-1 on pens or something ridiculas like that.

Beat Partick at home in League cup in lower leagues

Beat 3rd division Montrose on pens in Challenge cup in 2009-10. (I remember this as I stuck £100 on Caley to win, for a potential gain of £20!!)

I'm sure there has been more as well.

We also beat East Fife on a Penalty shootout in a Scottish Cup replay after a last minute Alan Hercher equaliser. Those were the days.