FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Hayes offer, is he worth it

lukemackay

http://www.highland-...on-30012012.htm

confirmed ?50,000 so i say plop the lot on hayes contract

Cant just go pying certain players way more than others. It causes resentment and division. Stick to the wage structure.....if Johnny goes...so be it, i reckon he may well regret it, for all sorts of reasons

As footballers they should be glad to get to play with a player of his quality and shouldn't care about what wages he's on

confirmed £50,000 so i say plop the lot on hayes contract

Cant just go pying certain players way more than others. It causes resentment and division. Stick to the wage structure.....if Johnny goes...so be it, i reckon he may well regret it, for all sorts of reasons

As footballers they should be glad to get to play with a player of his quality and shouldn't care about what wages he's on

Very simplistic view that. You put Johnny Hayes on a higher contract...its human nature that others will want the same

confirmed £50,000 so i say plop the lot on hayes contract

Very simplistic view that. You put Johnny Hayes on a higher contract...its human nature that others will want the same

hayes is our best player and has earned himself the right to be paid more than his teamates should use that as an incentive to play well and earn themselves improved contracts

This topic was split from another thread and it was the first post that sparked the off topic conversation. The £50K was the alleged offer for Lee Cox, nothing to do with Hayes, but the rest of the thread is about Hayes.

carry on folks......................................................

• Agree 1

Exactly mannie. Ther's been no offer for Hayes, so no debate to be had. All that ICT have to do is turn down any offer and let him leave (as he might well do) in the summer. If he plays as he can between now and then, he might well earn more for the club than what they would stand to lose as payment in this window. What would scoring the winner on saturday be worth, for instance? The board can trouser the 50K, it's not needed for this one.

Whatever Swindon paid for Cox is probably press speculation but that aside no Luke we shouldn't hand it all to Hayes. This club has a structure of reward for players and it has served us well for many years and kept us out of debt. Hayes will be offered the best we can afford to pay him, as will any other player. If he then feels, just like Blackie did, that earning big bucks is the way forward then he'll need to look elsewhere and we'll need to find a replacement. This club has a very difficult job trying to balance the books and, indeed, we are somewhat indebted to board members for puting their hands in their own pockets to keep us afloat this last couple of years. It would be follie to break away from the structure we have for one player. Perhaps if Jonny was bringing additional fans in by his performances then an increase could be justified but thats not happening.

• Agree 4

It gives me no pleasure to say but I would be amazed if Hayes stays. Even if they did lump in £50k extra into what they were going to pay him, i'm sure he'll still get a better deal elsewhere. The only reason he'll stay is if Butcher convinces him that he could still develop further here. I can't see that happening either. To be fair to Jonny though, I think he deserves to go onto better things and i'm sure we'll find someone to replace him.

Johnny's gone in the summer and there isn't any point trying to sit around and hope he signs like what happened with Rooney. We should of course offer him the best we can but we should now be out looking for new wingers for signing in the summer when we need to replace him.

I think Luke's case is a good one. On the one hand Jonny is probably ambitious to play at the best level he can. On the other hand he is very settled in Inverness with Sarah. That makes it a tough choice for him.

You know that c.£150k windfall we're getting from the cup replay against Dunfermline and the tie versus Celtic? Well that would have been £0 if Jonny hadn't chased a lost cause in the 94th minute and stuck it in the back of the net on the 7th January. I don't think it's asking too much to give Butcher a third of that cash to boost the offer he can make to Hayes.

All the squad know Hayes is our best player, anyone who follows them on Twitter can see that, so I don't think any one of them would resent him getting an extra £500 a week on a two year contract.

IMO, Jonny isn't going to go anywhere he's not going to be playing....not in his nature.

I don't think he'll go in this window...and whether or not he goes in the Summer will depend on what he can do between now and the end of the season (to attract interest) where he thinks ICT are heading next season and whether or not he thinks that will provide him with room to grow/develop any more.

I don't buy the argument that we should blow any money coming in on giving him an enhanced contract. The club can't break even as it is, and getting the books to balance is far more important than any individual player. I we can't afford to give proper childs prices for a 5th round cup match, then there's no way we can afford to blow money on increased player wages.

• Agree 3

The fortunes of Adam Rooney may possibly make Johnny think twice about going to grab the money quick. He may well think another year as the stand out attacker might produce him an even bigger contract a year later with a higher ranking club or league

The fortunes of Adam Rooney may possibly make Johnny think twice about going to grab the money quick. He may well think another year as the stand out attacker might produce him an even bigger contract a year later with a higher ranking club or league

Rooney has done well since leaving (this season 12 starts plus 6 sub and 6 goals) and will continue to improve as a player. His bank balance will also have improved dramatically.

I would suggest that looking at Rooney would make Hayes more likely to leave not less!

With Chris Wood going back to West Brom, Rooney's opertunities will only get better.

Having said that, I think Rooney has been very, very lucky. The Blues will know he can score else they wouldn't have signed him. With Zigic injuryed at the start of the campaign, and Woods away now, even as a 3rd striker behind these two (and/or marlon king) he's always going to get a chance.

Hayes, on the other hand, would find it harder to break into a team such as celtic, dundee united or any championship side, when you consider some of the class that is already on show. Hayes would be far better to pen a 2-3 year extention, produce his best, develop, and when he feels the time is right, move on to another club knowing ICT will get some dosh.

If an injured Lee Cox can go to Swindon for £50,000, I'm sure a fully fit Hayes would be worth a minimum £200k in a year or two

• Agree 2

Totally agree with Gringo Jnr - what would be the point in Hayes going to sit on the bench at Celtic next year - far netter for him to stay with us for another season and improve then he would probably get a move to a team where he would be guaranteed a start every week.

Totally agree with Gringo Jnr - what would be the point in Hayes going to sit on the bench at Celtic next year - far netter for him to stay with us for another season and improve then he would probably get a move to a team where he would be guaranteed a start every week.

I'm not convinced another season with ICT would make him a regular with Celtic the following year. He's still going to have to take the gamble of first team action whether he leaves here this summer or in 2 years. Hayes is 24 now and will be hitting his prime, he is already a class act but IMO if he is to improve he needs to be playing at a higher level. I bet Adam Rooney has grown as a player over the last 6 months by just being a part of the Birmingham squad. Training with a bigger team with better players is going to have an effect on a player and Hayes deserves his chance at a bigger club.

I want Hayes to stay badly, he's our best player but after seeing so many of our big name players leave i'm not confident at all he will be staying. We should be already looking for replacements so we don't fall into the same situation we had with Rooney last year.

ist2_5501731-british-money-background.jpg

Edited by RiG

I'd say Esson and Foran are better players than Hayes .

are you joking??? esson fair enough but foran better than hayes? this forum really is S**T and you do not know football!

You need to wind yer neck in.........the man's entitled to his opinion, that's what this forum is all about.