Great books on football

TopSix

After listening to Steve Paterson on Off the Ball yesterday, I'm looking forward to reading his Confessions book.

I've read a few football related books over the years but my favourite still remains David Winner's Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football. I liked the way he intertwines the study of Dutch football with the way in which Dutch society is organised. Anyone got any other 'must read' books they would recommend?

I've read a few football related books over the years but my favourite still remains David Winner's Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football. I liked the way he intertwines the study of Dutch football with the way in which Dutch society is organised.

In that case you should read 'Football Against the Enemy' by Simon Kuper.

A great chapter about the Netherlands v Germany.

Also a chapter about the Old Firm and of course, Dingwall v Inverness.

OK, I made the last bit up.

After listening to Steve Paterson on Off the Ball yesterday, I'm looking forward to reading his Confessions book.

I've read a few football related books over the years but my favourite still remains David Winner's Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football. I liked the way he intertwines the study of Dutch football with the way in which Dutch society is organised. Anyone got any other 'must read' books they would recommend?

If you weren't too intoxicated on bridies, Bovril and Southern Comfort, you'll maybe remember Chris talking about A Season in Verona by Tim Parks after the game on Saturday. Well worth getting hold of.

I also enjoyed:

All Played Out, Phil Davies' book about England in the 1990 World Cup (a little jingoistic in places but interesting if you can get past that, and also containing a lengthy interview with Butcher);

Among the Thugs by Bill Buford (much more about hooliganism than football, but again fascinating and provides a nice counterpoint to All Played Out);

Only a Game? by Eamon Dunphy (written while he was still a professional, at Millwall);

As Long as You Don't Kiss Me: 20 Years with Brian Clough by Duncan Hamilton (written by the Nottingham-based journalist who interviewed Clough more than any other during his career).

Edited by alternative maryhill

Only a Game? by Eamon Dunphy (written while he was still a professional, at Millwall);

Glad to see this book on someone else's list. I thought at the time I read it that it was the best football book I'd read.

I also quite enjoyed Denis Law's autobiography. I can't remember the title, but I think 'King' features in it.

I'm really looking forward to Pele's book which I know I'm getting 'as a surprise' Xmas present.

Yes, Dunphy's book is a classic.

I also read one by Hunter Davies where he spent a whole season with Tottenham - The Glory Game (1972)

A really good Scottish book is 'We'll Support You Evermore' edited by Ian Archer and Trevor Royle. An anthology of Scottish fitba which really gets over what it means to support the national team but written by journalists and professional writers.

Edited by The Mantis

I like books on Dutch football Mantis so I'll give Football Against the Enemy a read. I read one of Kupers other books called Ajax, the Dutch, the war. In fact I've still got a hardback copy of it in the house. It was pretty good too. Alternative Maryhill, I'm definately going to give A season in Verona a read.

I've read a good few and none has come near to 'The Miracle of Castel di Sangro' by Joe McGinniss

It's about Castel di Sangro Calcio, a football club from Castel di Sangro in the Province of L'Aquila in the Abruzzo region of Italy. It covers their moment of greatness came in 1996, when they were promoted to Serie B, a noteworthy accomplishment for a team coming from a town of only 5,500 residents. Even greater, they were able to survive in that league another year'

a book I couldn't put down till I'd finished it, only ?8 from Amazon

If you're bored get it, you won't regret it

I enjoy any book about ICT so AAO and GB! are on the list ... and I am sure Pele's book will be added to that list once it finally arrives in my paws !!!!! Other than that I dont read many football books but Penthouse and Pavement by Bill Leckie is definitely one I enjoyed a few years ago.

I enjoy any book about ICT so AAO and GB! are on the list ... and I am sure Pele's book will be added to that list once it finally arrives in my paws !!!!! Other than that I dont read many football books but Penthouse and Pavement by Bill Leckie is definitely one I enjoyed a few years ago.

I've not read the books on ICT. I just listened to the rest of Saturday's Off the Ball on the iPlayer and Pele stated that Graham Spiers has given his book a good review:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/col...icle6960928.ece

If you're into stadiums then any of Simon Inglis' books are excellent. There is a British one and a European one and I actually got two editions of the British one as it was completely rewritten with new photos. He's an architect so he has loads of technical knowhow although his books don't read like a fan's perspective.