FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Sky TV and SPL agree deal for next 5 yrs

SMEE

In the details, there will be 30 SPL games shown live this season. Also....5 The Rangers FC games are to be shown live. Whether that comes out of the 30 games allocation im not sure

Edited by SMEE

Is the deal better money wise than the last, if not its a failure for me. The last tv deal with sky was worth less than what the Norwegian league get for crying out loud.

Hope it brings in a few bob and that it's distributed fairly though

I havent heard any other details than those i listed. I would imagine its a slightly improved offer than the last deal, but will be buttons in the grnd scheme of things...coz lets face facts...the quality of the product is very poor

In the details, there will be 30 SPL games shown live this season. Also....5 The Rangers FC games are to be shown live. Whether that comes out of the 30 games allocation im not sure

It's 25 SPL games + 5 The Rangers matches according to Sky.

So are ESPN pulling out or will they looking for a separate deal over and above what Sky are showing? I'm surprised at how few games there are, for both SPL and Rangers matches.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/4463718/Our-TV-deals-in-the-bag.html

"It’s understood Sky will show 30 matches per season and ESPN 35, with the new Rangers being shown live a minimum of 15 times in Division Three."

Are they seriously showing five "The Rangers" games next season?

Why not? Big fanbase still. If it was about competitive entertaining matches, they probably wouldn't have shown any Old Firm matches outside Rangers v Celtic in the last 15 seasons.

And, since Souness, OF fans have never cared about other clubs. Can't see many of them tuning in to see Hearts v Dundee Utd for second place. Rangers v Elgin? They'll be queuing up (although probably a good deal of ICT/RC fans will want to see that too). That and Peterhead for the obvious reasons. Wow! Looking at SFL3 - have Stirling dropped that low???

This new Sky/ESPN package is reported to be £13m a year, of which £1m goes to the SFL leaving £12m for the SPL clubs. At the time of the votes on readmitting Newco, did Doncaster & Co not warn teams that the TV money would drop from the current £15m to just £3m without Rangers?

It's just a sign of Scottish football when Sky would rather broadcast Rangers v Elgin when they could have Motherwell v Dundee United battling it out for second spot in the SPL. I know full well why they are doing it but it's sad that our game has become so skewed.

• Agree 4