FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

1 Year Deals

Harry Chibber

Eagle, Stratford, Hayes, Foran, Obdihambo (?) have all been signed on 1 year deals... not too sure how I feel about it. I can understand that the club are taking a risk taking on additional players but if one decent player is signed on a longer deal and sold at the end of the season then they could surely recoup money paid on salaries????

If we do get promoted then our players have no obligation to stay with us... if we don't where does that leave us?

I would understand if a few of the higher value contracts were on shorter contracts but not everyone

I would hope that, come january, when we have a good idea how we're doing and how the players are doing, we'll look to extending contracts for those with what it takes for SPL football. They could very well have clauses in their contracts giving us first option.

I agree, but in fairness they wont want to tie themselfs in for a longer hall when they may attract interst from bigger teams or as said they are i hope waiting to see come Jan.. It maybe just a way to get them to sign for a bit, but come a years time, we will be leaking alot of great players... danger me thinks. not happy days.

It's because we are taking a 1 season gamble on going back up.

If it doesn't work we'll be cutting back heavily on wages next season and these players, and the expensive management team, will be away. We then become just another First Division club for the next 5+ years like all who have gone before us.

I'm extremely confident that we will get promoted back up straight way as it has not been done for a while.

I'm even more confident than I was when I said we would not get relegated!

TB will make this happen.

If it doesn't work we'll be cutting back heavily on wages next season and these players, and the expensive management team, will be away. We then become just another First Division club for the next 5+ years like all who have gone before us.

I think that could be close to the mark, but with the squad we have assembled I think we have a great chance of going up this season

Looking at our squad now that it has been strengthened i have too say i'am fairly confident we can win the league as well. We kept some real key players, signed some very promising trialists and TB is still looking to add to that. The 1 year deal thing dosen't bother me that much because at the end of the day i'd rather see them sign 1 year deals to stay than not sign at all.

Arguably we have the best squad in the league so there is no reason why we shouldn't win it.

Unfortunately, I think this is the most accurate reason for the one year deals so we just have to get it done !

This could easily back fire as it has times before. But at the same time the players will feel that they are not tied down and wont feel under as much pressure which will hopefully help the team.

It can also work another way .... players on 1 year deals are looking for their next deal .... in some cases it may be with ICT, in others it may be with a "bigger" team. In either event, they should be motivated to do the best they can to catch the eye of someone who will offer them that better deal.

One year deals are good in these circumstances, because if we dont get promoted this year, the club might not have the funds to pay the wages of some of the players. It is also a good idea beacause if the player if not performing then we dont have to hold on to them.

One year deals are good in these circumstances, because if we dont get promoted this year, the club might not have the funds to pay the wages of some of the players. It is also a good idea beacause if the player if not performing then we dont have to hold on to them.

good post and I totally agree with you. Anyone who thinks ICT are going straight back up are probably a bit over confident. with us coming down many teams will see us as the team to beat. The main thing in our favour is that Dundee are "favourites" to win the league. Do Butcher and Malpas have 1 year of a contract left at the club? I seriously think that if butcher can't win the league he should give up on football management

Sorry but my own view is Board should be more convincing in their expectations for the season.

Sign them on at least 2 year contracts, if we go up then take stock, otherwise if we fail (hopefully not) then if they have shown promise then we should get a fee for them

Also concerned for TB et al as their contract also runs out at end of this season, Board only wanted to give them a 6 month contract but TB would only come for min 18 mth.

Again, if in running will Board put money where mouth is and extend player contracts including TB's

At some point the Board have to take ownership, as even wth 1 year contracts, if we go up, thes eplayers could walk, leaving us to rebuild again on promotion.

Hope not, but if we do not go up, then their is always next season to aim for, we should never give up as I think we added something to the premier league, and not just "sole destroying journeys up A9" as Chick Young kept ranting about!!!!

In a way I can understand their cautiousness, we can't go splashing the cash like we have in the past.

If we let almost all the Under 19's go, then sign others on 2 year deals, looks like a right slap in the face!

"We don't have any money....whoops sorry we do, have a 2 year deal!"

I think 1 year deals will make them hungry, TB is only on contract for another 1 year, so maybe the

two are linked? How can he offer more, if he's unsure what's happening himself?

Fingers crossed they'll all be fighting hard for new contracts...in the SPL!

Mrs PB

Cant believe I am saying this but the muppets are learning and have got this one right as well. Unfortunately it may add a wee bit pressure as there is a "do or die" feel about this - lets hope there is a wee incentive for getting us back up.

IMHO we are feckin lucky to have kept Tel boy and he has undoubtedly been the reason for the likes of Foran and Eric staying as well. Without them we would have been seriously fecked.

Cant believe I am saying this but the muppets are learning and have got this one right as well. Unfortunately it may add a wee bit pressure as there is a "do or die" feel about this - lets hope there is a wee incentive for getting us back up.

IMHO we are feckin lucky to have kept Tel boy and he has undoubtedly been the reason for the likes of Foran and Eric staying as well. Without them we would have been seriously fecked.

Spot on. Thought Doogie would be away aswell.

good post and I totally agree with you. Anyone who thinks ICT are going straight back up are probably a bit over confident. with us coming down many teams will see us as the team to beat. The main thing in our favour is that Dundee are "favourites" to win the league. Do Butcher and Malpas have 1 year of a contract left at the club? I seriously think that if butcher can't win the league he should give up on football management

thanks

This might be short sighted but **** it. I dont really care what type of deals they are on, as long as we get promoted again then im happy. A year or 5 year deals, end of the day its what they do in the course of one season that counts so i dont care. Just get us promoted!

These one year deals simply reflect the reality of life in the first division. Despite the cutbacks the club are budgeting for a considerable loss this coming season and gambling on coming straight back up.

If that doesn't come to pass then there will be even more substantial cut backs both in management and player costs the season afterwards hence the reason the club will(can)not commit beyond a single season in most cases.

Prudent management in my view.

Well I think the above highlighted remark is symptomatic of many ICT fans - 'win the league or we will change you for........??'

Wait a moment we have possibly the best managerial duo we could hope for in our current situation! I also think they have provided us with a reasonable pool of players.

Maybe if TB and MM decide to leave us and Foran etc follow, this will make the recruiting of a new manager so much easier! Aye, right!

The favourites to win our league, in their game against Aberdeen, put out NINE subs at halftime and they were still the better side. Yes, of course, TB could also do that - I don't think so!

Now please reply to this and give me YOUR reasoning for your above comment!

I started a big long rant but then found I'd gone way off topic and it was to be honest boreing my reading it, so I deleted it and will just say, RIGHT ON ABSENT FRIEND!!!