Darren Fletcher

SMEE

I see Darren Fletcher has been named as captain of Scotland for Saturdays game.

Now.........can anyone enlighten me as to how this guy gets to captain Scotland let alone play for Man Utd. I really cant understand it.My mate and i have disussed this, and I cant see any attributes he brings to a team. He seems to ghost thro games. I could understand him playing for maybe Fulham or that tho, as he is a very average player.

Anyone.....Anyone?

Edited by SMEE

Darren Fletcher is a quality player. Even if he was just at Fulham and playing Prem football week in week out, then he would be a deserving Scotland Captain. But at Utd, he is getting a regular game in the Prem and in Europe.

Top class player and we are lucky to have him in our midfield and I think he'll make a very good Captain.

^Thats the part i dont understand.

He is by far and away the weakest link at Man Utd IMHO!

I can understand him getting a game for Scotland tho

Edited by SMEE

Darren Fletcher is a quality player. Even if he was just at Fulham and playing Prem football week in week out, then he would be a deserving Scotland Captain. But at Utd, he is getting a regular game in the Prem and in Europe.

Top class player and we are lucky to have him in our midfield and I think he'll make a very good Captain.

completely agree.

he hasnt been up to his usual standards in his last couple of Scotland games but a highly influential player who i have no doubt will do us proud when he pulls on the captains armband.

I tend to agree with SMEE, particularly in the last 18 months when he has pulled on the dark blue it seems to make him invisible, although he had a decent start to the Premiership season so hopefully he takes that form onto the pitch on Saturday.

I don't rate him too highly either.

However, I just can't get too excited about Scotland games, in fact it pisssses me off when they are on and the SPL has to shut down.

I don't rate him too highly either.

However, I just can't get too excited about Scotland games, in fact it pisssses me off when they are on and the SPL has to shut down.

Am with you on that. back to the old days wen internationals were midweek and the domestic fixtures were unaffected :rotflmao:

Fletcher??? I am one of the many who just doesn,t see it. I know Alex Ferguson fancy's him (as a player) but he also rated Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Veron, Podborsky and numerous goalkeepers. Even the "great" sir Alex gets it wrong occasionally.

The other one I just dont get is Barry Ferguson? :rotflmao: What exactly does he bring to the team?

^Thats the part i dont understand.

He is by far and away the weakest link at Man Utd IMHO!

I can understand him getting a game for Scotland tho

Until the recent Scotland campaign, I always felt he played much better for Scotland than for Man U as he had more freedom on the ball and got forward more. His passing and ability to shield the ball and look for a pass are excellent - better than Ferguson IMO - but he cannot tackle and should never be played deep. I think he's one of those players who would be outsanding in the SPL but looks average compared to the other players when playing for Man U. Yet the fans there seem to appreciate him more now and I remember listening to 606 after the 7-1 game against Roma, when almost every caller nominated him man of the match for his use of the ball.

As for the captaincy, he seems the obvious choice to me - experienced, intelligent and will command respect from the other players. Who else is there? Gordon possibly. Caldwell? Hartley?

I see Darren Fletcher has been named as captain of Scotland for Saturdays game.

Now.........can anyone enlighten me as to how this guy gets to captain Scotland let alone play for Man Utd. I really cant understand it.My mate and i have disussed this, and I cant see any attributes he brings to a team. He seems to ghost thro games. I could understand him playing for maybe Fulham or that tho, as he is a very average player.

Anyone.....Anyone?

I presume you mean the same Darren Fletcher that has this year been called "worldclass" and "best preformer of the season" by Manchester United fans. An excellent player, makes football look easy. Has struggled recently for Scotland I'll admit, but has had an excellent start to the season for United.

I presume you mean the same Darren Fletcher that has this year been called "worldclass" and "best preformer of the season" by Manchester United fans. An excellent player, makes football look easy. Has struggled recently for Scotland I'll admit, but has had an excellent start to the season for United.

Cor blimey.....deemed world class after half a dozen or so games. Theres hope for McAllister then. Mind you....not that long ago...he was deemed surplus to requirements by the same support.

As greavsie used to say "its a funny old game" :rotflmao:

Cor blimey.....deemed world class after half a dozen or so games. Theres hope for McAllister then. Mind you....not that long ago...he was deemed surplus to requirements by the same support.

As greavsie used to say "its a funny old game" :rotflmao:

And players can't develop then? And no, they have been saying this for almost two years now, ever since Fletcher made Totti and co look very average. I'm pretty sure Darren Dods was surplus to requirements at St. Johnstone for a while. Heck Deco was surplus to requirements at Barca. He's not done badly at Chelsea...

Fletcher is so "world class", that last season he came mighty close to joining.....AC.........no wait.....Barca....sorry Birmingham City! :rotflmao:

Edited by SMEE

KB...dont confuse holding an opinion on something as pertaining to be an expert on the subject. But since you ask....Scotland, we are kinda stuck wi him, as we dont have much better. Last season in ALL comps, Thats EPL, League Cup, FA Cup and Champs League.....I think he played around 20 games...so hes not deemed a priority player for Man U.

Utd preferred midfield is Ronaldo, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs. Fletcher gets a game when there is injuries.

Ahead of Fletcher, ad play, Anderson, Nani, Hargreaves or possibly Park

Edited by SMEE

Fletcher has been playing very well for United this season. He scored the clubs first 2 goals of the season earing them 4 points IIRC, on his current form I doubt Fergie will drop him. When they have more players back from injury and if there are a lot of fixtures close together maybe, but at the moment I fancy he'll keep his place.

Apologies if my last post seemed a little rude, wasn't meant to be taken that way. (i am having a **** of a day!)

Is this the same Fletcher who's being mooted in every paper today as the next Scottish International player to achieve 100 caps?

i didnt realise that 100 Scottish caps was seen as some seal of quality. Silly me! :rotflmao:

Edited by SMEE

Is this the same Fletcher who's being mooted in every paper today as the next Scottish International player to achieve 100 caps?

i didnt realise that 100 Scottish caps was seen as some seal of quality. Silly me! :rotflmao:

Before making sarcastic replies SMEE please note: Knowhere on this thread will you find a comment or viewpoint of mine on the qualities, or otherwise, of Darren Fletcher.

I read a few of the papers today and noted that all the pundits are saying that a certain Darren Fletcher is one of the best players ever to pull on a Scotland shirt and that he has the potential to beat Dalglish's record of 100 caps. I then read through this thread and am left wondering if there's two darren fletchers.

i didnt realise that 100 Scottish caps was seen as some seal of quality. Silly me! :018:

Before making sarcastic replies SMEE please note: Knowhere on this thread will you find a comment or viewpoint of mine on the qualities, or otherwise, of Darren Fletcher.

I read a few of the papers today and noted that all the pundits are saying that a certain Darren Fletcher is one of the best players ever to pull on a Scotland shirt and that he has the potential to beat Dalglish's record of 100 caps. I then read through this thread and am left wondering if there's two darren fletchers.

Sir Alex, George Burley, football pundits across the country?? pah!! what do they know, Darren Fletcher is guff :rotflmao:

imagine someone like ronaldo keeping him out of the team, he must be useless then :thumb04: