Russell Duncan

ict123

I will be the first to admit that i haven't always been a massive fan of Russell but this season and the end of last season i think has seen him play his best football for the club. He was our stand out player yesterday and gives 100% in every game where at times it seems that others aren't, his natural aggression and commitment are exactly the qualities we should be looking for in a captain.

On the flip side Grant is having probably his worst season yet, he was terrible yesterday and i can't recall the last time i seen him have a decent game. It pains me a little saying this as i do like the the guy, he's a local lad, great servant and all the rest of it but all that doesn't help drive the team or win matches. Obviously changing the captain at this point would disrupt the team and possibly affect it adversly, i would however like to see Russell given the armband next season.

I will be the first to admit that i haven't always been a massive fan of Russell but this season and the end of last season i think has seen him play his best football for the club. He was our stand out player yesterday and gives 100% in every game where at times it seems that others aren't, his natural aggression and commitment are exactly the qualities we should be looking for in a captain.

On the flip side Grant is having probably his worst season yet, he was terrible yesterday and i can't recall the last time i seen him have a decent game. It pains me a little saying this as i do like the the guy, he's a local lad, great servant and all the rest of it but all that doesn't help drive the team or win matches. Obviously changing the captain at this point would disrupt the team and possibly affect it adversly, i would however like to see Russell given the armband next season.

I don't think Granty played that badly yesterday, my point is that he hasn't improved in recent years. He found his game beside Mann, improved it under Dodds, but on his departure seemed to stop still. I would suggest that the burden of the captaincy may have had a lot to do with it, alternately, the fact that he has never had to work to defend his place, may too be a factor. Also, his withdrawn Heelan persoanlity may also have a lot to do with it.

I would agree that Russell was superb yesterday and standout last week too. Committment in barrowloads, but I feel he is too hotheaded for the captaincy just now. Combine that drive with a bit of subtlety and you have leadership material. Maybe, however, getting the band willbring that on.

I also think that is a great shout. He was just superb yesterday and was a clear winner in the MoM awards yesterday, apart from one or two who see things differently.

His aggression when channelled correctly is a massive plus and he is willing to get his hands dirty when others stand by and watch.

Yeah.... I'd go along with that...

Still can't understand why he wasn't selected for so many games early on in the season. Sometimes he didn't even make the bench. He's certainly proved his worth since the beginning of this year.

I have always rate him as one of our better players and think if he was given the armband it might make him a little more sensible and help reduce the number of stupid yellows he gets. MOTM yesterday by an absolute mile.

I make no secret that i have never been a fan of russel duncan since he signed for us, and it was even suggested to me before that perhaps i look too closely at his flaws rather than his all-round peformances :lol:

But I wll admit I have been pretty impressed with him this season. He was excellent yesterday and has improved the more he has played this season. I don't though think he is captain material. As has been said before, he can be too hot-headed and his performances can be indifferent.

If russel was to become club captain, then I think this may be detremental to his performances. He's definately worthy of his place currently, but captain???

What about Golabek? He too has been fantastic this season, and was fantastic when he was captain before his move over the bridge. No disrespect to granty intended, I just think it's maybe time for a change and allow him to concentrate on his defencive duties.

I've always stuck up for Russeldinho, obviously I'm blessed with Nostradamus type powers.

Not sure about the captain thing though, as he can be a bit hot headed.

If the ref is less likely to book the captain then sure, give him the armband now :lol: :lol: :lol:

He has never been my favourite player but this season when he has featured he has played a vital role in almost every game.

Yesterday was the best i've ever seen him play, defensively he was so solid and he did as well as he could to start attacks.

I wish Butcher had used him right from the start of the season.

Don't burden Duncan with captaincy. He was outstanding yesterday, hopefully his forthcoming wee rest won't affect his excellent form this season.

Grant I am afraid is struggling with both his form and being captain. Unfortunatley this is the third time I have commented on Grant's performance over the past few months. His distribution is woefull, seldom finding one of his team mates. The folk round about me at ICT home games can often be heard saying something like 'here comes the big boot up the park' when Grant gets possesion. Of course on many occasions a big boot up the park is very necesary, but not every time. I wonder how Butcher views this and why it is not worked on at training.

However saying all that I would have Grant as a first pick every week............but how I wish he could just look up a little and make what I would describe as the 'Wyness' pass. Dennis always found his man but seldom passed a ball more than a couple of yards at any time.

Russel Duncan is the professionals professional. I have liked Russeldinho since he came to us. Sure he has bad games, dont they all, but he is always trying his best and NEVER GOES HIDING. His rate of winning tackles, and blocking passes must be exceptional, but during some games he will then not find his team mate. Fans tend to forget the good bits and dwell on the not so good bits. But something tells me, after Pele, Robbo, Brew, Charlie, Brew, and Tel always pick him, and the players prefer him to be in the side, he has something most professionals like and want on the park.

However, until recently he has always had trouble getting the fans behind him. Marmite comes to mind. Well, I have always said he gives us better balance, backbone and grit, and for me he should always be one of the first names on the team sheet. Makes us more solid.

Captain? Would be interesting to see how he would react to the added status. I would also think Mr ICT Rossco would be outstanding if Grant were to pass it on.

Anyone ever think that having such a comanding former centre half watching every kick adds to the pressure, but saying that, first rule of defending is to put the ball where the opposition can not score. Row D in Clach Park makes it difficult to score, But its a team that defends, and individuals that make it spark.

To be honest, I don't really see where the negative Grant Munro stuff comes from...

Grants a no-nonsense defender who doesn't take risks. He is Inverness through and through, as far as I'm aware he is respected by everyone at the club and does everything that is asked of him. He's been club captain through 3 different managers now (Brewster - twice-, Charlie and Terry) so must be doing something right for all these guys to rate him.

Sure, sometimes the big punt up the park isn't the greatest option and it would be nice to see some ball playing. The alternative would be to have Lionel playing at centre half and dribbling out every time :frustrated01: and I'm not sure that would be any better received!!

I think he is an honest pro who realises he isn't Baresi and can't play his way out of trouble. He invariably wins his headers and tackles, is very rarely caught out of position and is mobile enough to quite often cover for the rest of the defence when they are out of position. As for motivating and leading, he isn't a shouter but watch his body language and when he chooses to shout. To me he clearly lets his team know what he thinks and what he expects to be done better without chastising them in front of the crowd and the opposition.

Captains don't always have to be shouty, aggressive Roy Keane types. I think Munro is pretty much everything you could want in a captain and a decent, solid centre half to boot (no pun intended!).

I couldn't agree more with Bridge Ender's view on Grant. He is a very decent centre half. Earlier in these posts though I criticised his distribution and stand by it. I don't mean booting it into row Z when required I mean when he has plenty of time and space he is inclined to hoof it. Most of the time it is then an easy job for the oppostion central defender to head it back up the park.

Anyway hopefully tonight I'll be proved very wrong...........I'd be dellighted to eat humble pie.

A captain has other duties off the field too - basically acting as a shop steward in discussions with management over various things - and that is the one factor we perhaps dont see and where much of the respect maybe comes from that managers and players alike obviously have for Grant.

As has been said already, if he were so bad, he might not have lasted as captain under 3 different managers ... or was it 4? didnt he get made captain by Robbo after Bobby left?

As for Russell, I have frequently said he is one of those "unsung heroes" who goes about things and just gets the job done. Sure he is a mouthy git, sure he gets booked needlessly at times, and sure some of his passes are suicidal but that is only a minority part of his game and he can certainly mop up well in that defensive midfield role and also get stuck in. He seems to be one of those players who people moan about 1 bad thing in any given game and conveniently overlook the 10 good things he did ..... Dont burden him with captaincy though.

Russell has a bee in his bonnet with shyte referee's - and there are plenty about just now.

We all voice our opinion to the ref, just that he hears Russell more clearly!

Russell has a bee in his bonnet with shyte referee's - and there are plenty about just now.

We all voice our opinion to the ref, just that he hears Russell more clearly!

What C100 sticking up for Duncan?

I'm p!ssed off he's getting so many games. His shirt will be ruined by the time I get it at the end of the season.

Russel, I always stuck up for you when other Innes bar supporters were slating your ability :rolleyes: