EARTHQUAKE!

SMEE

So...i was asleep in bed, when i was awoken at approx 06:05, by my smoke alarm blipping and then the bedroom cupboard doors shaking for a few seconds. So...i get up this morning and do some investigating. It seems there was a quake recorded at Glenuig, magnatuide 3.6.

Anyone else wakend by it?

Once experienced an earthquake here in the suburb of Richmond on the outskirts of Vancouver. B.C.

It was many yeras ago and was early in the morning. I woke up and wondered what the shaking was ; put the light on and saw the lights dancing around like crazy and the bed was shuddering.It did not last long but I knew right away what it was.

On the West Coast of Canada we sit very close to the San Andreas fault line running South to North which denotes the areas where the Pacific Plate is slowly pushing under the plate on which North America sits. A huge shift in the plate as it breaks free of the resistance is now overdue and the experts are emphatic that it is not "if" but "when". This is now referred to as the "Big One". The fault line is about a hundred or so miles West of the coastline but, when it shifts, the alluvial silt deposited at the delta mouth of the Fraser River will liquefy and I shudder to think what will happen to all the homes and people jammed into that suburb, mostly Chinese.

When I arrievd in B.C. I stayed there and at that time it was a small community of about 20,000 people at most. Now, with the huge influx of so many Chinese immigrants , many of whom are very rich, the population is now 100,000 and the cost of homes there is very high indeed. There are Malls in Richmond where I am told you won't be served if you do not speak Chinese. Even the street signs are in Chinese as well as English.

A few tremors are felt from time to time lasting no more than a minute or less but it is a fact that the older buildings on the West coast of North America will not be able to resist the shaking of the Big One and there will be huge damage and loss of life.Just as it was in San Francisco in the 1920's. Ulp.