FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

If reports that Paul Hartley has put his obligations as an absent father before professional advancement I, for one, will not fault him for that. It may be disappointing for ICT but it does him great credit as a person.

As far as John Hughes is concerned,I cannot fathom what the board see in him. He strikes me as more suited to the Vacancy at Morton rather than a team riding high in the top league and still on an upward trajectory.

That said, Kenny Cameron and the board have had the opportunity, denied to the rest of us, of interviewing him at great length and, if he is indeed the man, have obviously seen something that has passed the great majority of us by.

Disappointing as it may be, if Yogi is announced tomorrow as our new manager it will be time to put aside our reservations and back the man fully unless in his time with us, putting aside his previous record, he gives justification for doing otherwise.

Not Levien or Sheils is good enough for me,  would have given Hartley a go but not that dissapointed with Yogi. 
Really really wanted Kevin Macdonald and I suspect that this is what bennet left over.

Kenny Cameron can only play with the cards he has got and he has played well enough so far. It's not his fault that we are in this predicament so whinging wont help.

Yogi is a character and I think will raise morale and of course he will take no shyte from the fool over the bridge.

What is of more concern to me is the infighting in our boardroom - Bennet didn't leave for nothing and I reckon Hartleys bodyswerve is connected to this also.

Expect to see Hartley managing Kilmarnock or St Johnstone soon as they are both on a shoogly peg also.

As we all know, ICT have a terrible habit of getting really close to something and then blowing it. This seems like another one of those times.

We're a team well and truly on the up, yet it seems like the board are afraid of success. That can't be right though can it? No, that can not be right at all.

• Agree 1

I agree Yngwie. I've been dipping into various fans' forums and have been pleasantly surprised at how the consensus is we're 'better' than appointing him as manager.

I mean even Jimmy Nicholl had more backing than Hughes with our fans and he's gone off to Cowdenbeath!

For many Scottish football followers, with John Hughes as our manager, we're now just another St Mirren, Hamilton, Dunfermline or Partick with a journeyman manager.

The high profile has certainly gone. Henrik Larsson would have grabbed attention and got bums on seats.

How things change in football. A month ago we still thought the sun shined out of Terry's backside and were on for a memorable, historic season. Now, I'm not so sure.

The squad already at ICT might paper-over-the-cracks until he has to start building his own team with his inevitable Scottish journeymen. Can he convince our soon to be out of contract players to stay? Time will tell.

• Agree 2

Hughes was never someone I thought of, but said at the start that I would support whoever the board decided to hire. This appointment if/when confirmed doesn't change that view.

My first choice was Hartley but for whatever reason thats not happening, so looks like time to get behing Yogi, and the team. He deserves time to show he is up for the job.

• Agree 1

Not denying I liked the sound of Hartley better, but I don't see any point in prejudging Hughes. Most people seem to think he was treated pretty harshly at Hartlepool, and his record in Scotland was excellent until that long slump towards the end of his Hibs tenure - and we've had a couple of similar spells under Butcher, tbf, but our board stuck by him.

In the short term, I can't imagine a manager who is going to be more motivated to be Hearts in the League Cup semi and get us to our first final; in the long term, once he's won us a couple of trophies and got us into Europe twice in a row, he'll return to his beloved Hibs to replace the disastrously-appointed Terry Butcher, just in time for Richie Foran to step up to the manager's job at ICT that Yogi has been keeping warm for him.

This makes me feel very warm inside.

• Agree 3

it's not that bad guys.............personally I thought Trains, Planes and Automobiles and Lampoons Vacation some of his better efforts :crazy:

Hopefully the fans will be getting Trains, Planes and Automobiles to the games and not staying Home Alone, listening to the radio!

I trust you're all not planning staying Home Alone 2?

Joking aside, it might turn out to be Somekind of Wonderful appointment. I just wonder what kind of Weird Science the board were using to come out with this appointment. 

Forget Ferris Bueller - clearly, today must have been Kenny Cameron's Day Off!!

Yeah, some great films from the director, John Hughes. I really liked The Breakfast Club - but this outcome surely is a dogs dinner!!!

If it all turns to ****, who will the Uncle Buck stop with?

I cannot believe this choice, ok maybe Kenny Cameron can only do what he can do but really I think he has taken a huge huge risk for a club that is doing so well. Wonder if this why G Bennett left only time will tell in answering both these questions.

We need to put it behind us and continue to support the lads on the pitch.

It's not great is it when you're consoling yourself with the line "At least it's not Shiels"?

As many others have said at least it's not Brewster!!!

Not over the moon with Yogi but it could've been worse. Hope he's not reading this thread! :wave:

• Agree 1

It's not great is it when you're consoling yourself with the line "At least it's not Shiels"?

As many others have said at least it's not Brewster!!!

Not over the moon with Yogi but it could've been worse. Hope he's not reading this thread! :wave:

Hope he is reading this thread and sets out to prove us all wrong...

• Agree 2

Well, this is a surprise.

Thanks to Duncan - good job, honest and knew what he wanted.

Thanks to Butcher - he leaves us in good shape (We'll forget the manner of your leaving at some point)

Welcome John, you have inherited a good set up  - I hope to hear your plans very soon . 

Caley is playing football that is good to watch - hope that continues.

Saturday is massive for him: lose or draw and he'll be on the back foot from the off. Whilst this fixture was by no means a given, Hughes cannot afford to start his reign with the end of a winning streak (others would have been cut some slack). We've got a tough Christmas/January and there is simply no time for him to f@nny around. Next 7 games will shape our league season and then the cup games....yikes!

• Agree 1

Good on yogi getting the job,ok he may not be the man everyone wants but he will do good things for the club as said b4 he gives the young lads a chance and like falkirk hopefully make us a few quid in doing that,throw in a cup final & a European trip happy days #teamyogi

Fickle supporters (I have witheld names) but for Yogi's benefit, Terry and Mo had a similar welcome to some of the early posts on here.

I  actually rate Yogi but I can see where some reservations are coming from. Anyone new to Inverness gets a fiery welcome. Yogi is man enough to take it. He has to succeed in this job full-stop. I believe he will. 

Looking back:

January 2009 ''Butchers managerial record is mediocre to say the least. Also in his previous posts his man management skills came into question on numerous occasions!!''''Great news if he has been offered it but malpas is cr*p as an assistant.''''I'm not happy with this at all. It would have been so much better to have had Robbo in place - assisted by anyone such as Duncan Shearer, Bazza, CC, DP, etc... guys for whom Caley Thistle actually means something...'' From the Sun:''The ex-Hearts ace (Robbo) planned to take local legend Barry Wilson with him as his No2.''    ''In your dreams, he has never!! been a success , and lets be honest under George Burley, with him as a gob and no 2, Scotland have not set the world on fire!!! so the board have appointed a parasite, relying on past plaudits, oh dear, where do we go from here???? DOWN!!!!''

''I have never seen so much negativity over a manager's appointment at Inverness CT. I wasnt totally sure about his appointment but im more than willing to give him a chance.''

May 2009 ''I wasn't very over excited when TB and MM were appointed and thought we could have done a lot better.''

September 2009 ''Can we afford Butcher and Malpas in the First Division? Surely there's a get out clause.

Butcher out now, Bring back Robbo!''

April 2012 ''Terry and Mo still have a chance to save themselves but only if they are wiser in the market this summer.''