FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Brand New Strike Force

RiG

With the exception of Rory all the rest of last season first team strikers have departed over the summer. Bayne, Niculae and Wyness have all left for pastures new and we will have almost a completely new striker force for the season ahead. Who will most likely fill the boots of others? Are they good enough to replace those that have left? And who else could we recruit to replace the departed?

we still haven't bought anyone with pace upfront... Jackson from St J would be my number 1 target from the players I know within our budget but I would hope that our scouts have more options on the books

Indeed= Andy Jackson would be a good player to look at and if Brewster was to get ?150k to spend on a player I'd like to see us look seriously at Jackson as it would take almost all of that to shift him from Perth!

Guest Mahonio

I would go for Dean Shiels as a replacement signing and failing that what about Mark Burchill but i personally would still try and buy or loan Callum Elliot.

In one breath we've no confidence in our own young strikers and in another we want Andy Jackson a 20 year old div 1 striker. Two years to go on his contract would cost us a bit more than 150k methinks.

No one has said we have no confidence in the youngsters in this thread. Odd comments regarding Andy Jacksons given 1) you initially thought he was on a youth contract initially only a few weeks ago and 2) You don't appear to think he is good enough based on the fact he has only played in SFL1 yet are happy to see youngsters with no experience of any kind thrown in at the deep end in the SPL!

I admire your staunch loyalty to the youngsters at ICT Alex but they aren't the answer to everything.

In one breath we've no confidence in our own young strikers and in another we want Andy Jackson a 20 year old div 1 striker. Two years to go on his contract would cost us a bit more than 150k methinks.

Come off it Alex, if anything Jackson was mentioned due to the clear lack of pace in our frontline

I am all for our youth players making an impact on the squad (thus the avator) but IMO one of the most frustrating things about watching ICT last season was that we didn't have anyone who would get behind the opposing defenders and make them work.  You ask any centre half and they'll tell you they prefer defending what's infront of them and hate being put onto the back foot.  It also gives us the option of counter attack when you can hit teams on the break... it makes for exciting football

I've never watched Wood play so couldn't tell you what he has in his locker but Barrowman, Rory & Rooney are all apparently big lads. 

So far I think the best combination from the strikers we have is Barrowman & Imrie

So far I think the best combination from the strikers we have is Barrowman & Imrie

Definitely.  They looked impressive together in the second half against county. 

I'd rather have Imrie and Barrowman than Niculae + Wood/Mcallister.

Or 4-3-3 with Rooney going up front as well. :crazy07:

Yes rig I did make a mistake about his contract. Picked someone up wrong on that one. The lads had one full season at St J. Prior to that he was was out on loan a couple of times.

The point I'm trying to make is I dont see why we should be spending a lot of money on our own youth policy if we're going to forsake the products of our work for similar standards from elsewhere.

The point I'm trying to make is I dont see why we should be spending a lot of money on our own youth policy if we're going to forsake the products of our work for similar standards from elsewhere.

The point is we don't know if the standards are similar. Indeed they might not be good enough and we, in the case of our young strikers, we need to buy in someone else like Jackson. It would be asking a lot of our relatively untried youngsters to take step up so quickly. They need to be eased in.

Feck me - why are we talking about the offence again - We have a few who are young but upcoming - they will play 100% fer 90 minutes and if they have the experience  and suppport behind them - they will give other teams a torrid time and score to boot - our midfield looks full of potential and enuff of them - our defence is by far our greatest concern - that is where the BIG money has to be spent.

Feck me - why are we talking about the offence again - We have a few who are young but upcoming - they will play 100% fer 90 minutes and if they have the experience   and suppport behind them - they will give other teams a torrid time and score to boot - our midfield looks full of potential and enuff of them - our defence is by far our greatest concern - that is where the BIG money has to be spent.

This thread isn't meant to be about where the money should be spent. It is about our completely new forward line that, Rory aside, will be (almost) wholly new to the SPL.

Does Rooney not have a reputation as being a little nippy? He's pretty much ours if he wants to join.

After that an experienced front man wouldnt go amiss but im far more concerned for the defence. If fact get that sorted and i feel the rest would be fine as we have probably enough experience in the midfield to compensate for the strikeforces glaring lack of it.

I'd rather have Imrie and Barrowman than Niculae + Wood/Mcallister.

Apparently Imrie had a couple of good games towards the end of the season playing up front (neither of which I got to), but isn't he really more of a wide man, possibly a long-term replacement for Barry?

It might be heresy in the eyes of some supporters, but I'd be inclined to start with Barrowman and McAllister, based on pre-season performances. If McAllister is going to fulfil any potential he does have, then he needs games and support from the mangement and fans early. I suspect he's a confidence player, and there will arguably be less pressure on him if we give him his chance straight away than if we turn to him later on as a last resort if other combinations of players aren't delivering. If he's a disaster, then there will still be time to replace him with Wood or Imrie. Aberdeen probably isn't a bad game for him to start in - he'll be playing against his home town team and their central defence looks very ropey, especially if Diamond is still injured.

Ideally I'd still like to see us tie up Rooney or sign another attacker, but a defender is even more of a priority.   

Feck me - why are we talking about the offence again - We have a few who are young but upcoming - they will play 100% fer 90 minutes and if they have the experience   and suppport behind them - they will give other teams a torrid time and score to boot - our midfield looks full of potential and enuff of them - our defence is by far our greatest concern - that is where the BIG money has to be spent.

This thread isn't meant to be about where the money should be spent. It is about our completely new forward line that, Rory aside, will be (almost) wholly new to the SPL.

Survival this season is about getting a decent defence. That takes precedence over any feckin thread.

we still need to score goals and considering we have a completely different frontline it's a valid question.  Some (Keegan) would argue attack is the best form of defence

... but would agree we definitely need a 6ft something centre half for the right side of our defence

I'd still love to see Rossco & McGuire switching position