FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Why not just enjoy it ?

Stevie

I've not posted much of late basically because of the ridiculous level of abuse aimed at Brewster and to a lesser extent the players.

Okay it's easier to post this after the superb victory in Leith but honestly what do some folk expect ?

I remember a couple of years ago there was a thread which caused a fair amount of varying opinion, it was along the lines of "are we punching above our weight"

If you look at the facts, we barely can manage 3000 home fans at any game, so tell me how can ICT be expected to basically do any better than they're doing just now ? Of the top of my head only one club has performed in the league any better than ICT attendances that being Livingston 6 or 7 years ago and they were way over their heads in gaining such a lofty position, ended up in a right old mess.

That Inverness have never seriously been in relegation trouble is actually astonishing. The current team and manager look to be continuing in this vein.

The present league is , the o.f. apart as tight as a drum, inconsistancy rules a couple of home wins in the next few days could see us climb dramatically.

Look at some of the moaning re Brewster, Playing Imrie and Cowie on the wrong flanks (it's on another thread I know) it works though, plenty others do it eg Celtic with McGeady & Nakamura,

He also took a fair bit of abuse last season regarding Wyness, now like everyone else Wyness to me was a hero, but lets be honest, it was right to let him go.

In general I wish folk would enjoy our current status more, law of averages says it can't go on for ever.

Enjoy :rotflmao:

Edited by Stevie

If you look at the facts, we barely can manage 3000 home fans at any game, so tell me how can ICT be expected to basically do any better than they're doing just now ?

L

Well they could start by playing slightly more attractive football at home, make the matchday experience more enjoyable, if not the 3000 home fans we can barely attract will be even lower than that will lead to us not doing better than we are but a lot worse

That Inverness have never seriously been in relegation trouble is actually astonishing. The current team and manager look to be continuing in this vein.

Thats not entirely true though, before the weekend we were only 1 point of bottom and even now we are just 3.

The main thing is though, the supporters put a lot of time and money into the club and it gets really frustrating if you travel long distances to a home game where you play a 4-5-1 and look to break on the counter, rather than taking the game to the opposition - especially when its a team you feel you should be getting a result against.

Anyway bring on Falkirk tomorrow night :rotflmao:

Edited by Iain

Thats not entirely true though, before the weekend we were only 1 point of bottom and even now we are just 3.

The main thing is though, the supporters put a lot of time and money into the club and it gets really frustrating if you travel long distances to a home game where you play a 4-5-1 and look to break on the counter, rather than taking the game to the opposition - especially when its a team you feel you should be getting a result against.

I know what your saying Iain but that seems to be the general way now, practicaly evey team is doin the 4-5-1 thing at least Brew is keepin up with times.

Football generally is much less exciting than it used to be.

Regards the relegation issue , personally I've never felt that we've been in serious trouble yet, too early.

If you look at the facts, we barely can manage 3000 home fans at any game, so tell me how can ICT be expected to basically do any better than they're doing just now ?

L

Well they could start by playing slightly more attractive football at home, make the matchday experience more enjoyable, if not the 3000 home fans we can barely attract will be even lower than that will lead to us not doing better than we are but a lot worse

Got to agree with that, although :rotflmao: to Stevie for a positive post. I think the really frustrating thing about this season has been our tendency to follow up an excellent display (e.g. Aberdeen) with a really flat one (e.g. Hamilton). That, and the fact that finding the best line-up seems to be elusive. Although I couldn't make Easter Road (and won't make another game till Killie on the 22nd) I find myself full of anticipation about tomorrow having watched Saturday's goals online. However, if the season so far is anything to go by, this instinctive optimism is misguided.

I think for ICT fans to really "enjoy it" this season, the team has to string together two or three good perfomances in a row and let the supporters see a team beginning to gel. The next three games are on paper our best chance to do that (Falkirk haven't found their feet yet; Hearts and Killie have shaded after decent starts), but another aimless performance tomorrow and the frustration will set in again.

I've not posted much of late basically because of the ridiculous level of abuse aimed at Brewster and to a lesser extent the players.

Okay it's easier to post this after the superb victory in Leith but honestly what do some folk expect ?

I remember a couple of years ago there was a thread which caused a fair amount of varying opinion, it was along the lines of "are we punching above our weight"

If you look at the facts, we barely can manage 3000 home fans at any game, so tell me how can ICT be expected to basically do any better than they're doing just now ? Of the top of my head only one club has performed in the league any better than ICT attendances that being Livingston 6 or 7 years ago and they were way over their heads in gaining such a lofty position, ended up in a right old mess.

The present league is , the o.f. apart as tight as a drum, inconsistancy rules a couple of home wins in the next few days could see us climb dramatically.

Look at some of the moaning re Brewster, Playing Imrie and Cowie on the wrong flanks (it's on another thread I know) it works though, plenty others do it eg Celtic with McGeady & Nakamura,

He also took a fair bit of abuse last season regarding Wyness, now like everyone else Wyness to me was a hero, but lets be honest, it was right to let him go.

In general I wish folk would enjoy our current status more, law of averages says it can't go on for ever.

Please accept my humble apologies for wanting the club to do better...

Please accept my humble apologies for wanting the club to do better...

Well Jay, I've explained my thoughts regarding some of our posters unrealistic expectations, could you expand where you feel I'm wrong ?

So some of you would like Steve Paterson to come back--abandon defence in favour of playing pacy, racy beautiful football....de'il tak the hindmost like." Sounds attractive to me?

But....ohhhh...if that resulted in better entertainment and a more satisfied crowd at the end of the game, win or lose, what would the feeling be if that also resulted in ICT being relegated?

Scotty

The mini-Pimples in our house are asking for a poll on the subject:

Question "Do you want abandoned footy or dull, defensiver footy". Post now and seal the deal.

After the poll Brw is aff the hook...like. :rotflmao:

There must be a happy medium.

Probably is but every team seems to want to go the defensive route nowadays

Alex I know what you are saying and I see why we have to go down the defensive route against some teams and away from home, but should we not be having a bit of a go at home against the likes of St Midden and Hamilton.

Well Jay, I've explained my thoughts regarding some of our posters unrealistic expectations, could you expand where you feel I'm wrong ?

We have demonstrated on numerous occasions that we are capable of producing top class displays. Easter Road on Saturday being a fine example of this - The only thing (IMO) that Brewster did wrong was playing Imrie and Cowie on the wrong wings.

At the moment ICT are not doing as well as I know they can do. Folk like yourself and "mainstander" coming on here and telling us that we should sit down, shut up and just be happy to be in the SPL don't make the situation any better.

Good post Stevie, broadly agree - no, it doesn't mean posters have to 'shut up and be happy'. I can't be bothered contributing here because of the constant bitter rancour re Brewster and the team, the hardcore almost welcoming failure so they can say, "I told you so". All footy fans love to moan, but there used to more good banter here. The perspective on what we are trying to do is being lost. Despite all the setbacks I am enjoying the current team, and think we have good reasons to be optimistic. Really hoping for a good display tonight.

Good post Stevie, broadly agree - no, it doesn't mean posters have to 'shut up and be happy'. I can't be bothered contributing here because of the constant bitter rancour re Brewster and the team, the hardcore almost welcoming failure so they can say, "I told you so". All footy fans love to moan, but there used to more good banter here. The perspective on what we are trying to do is being lost. Despite all the setbacks I am enjoying the current team, and think we have good reasons to be optimistic. Really hoping for a good display tonight.

While I agree there has probably been to much doom and gloom, I doubt if there are many on here that would welcome failure

While I agree there has probably been to much doom and gloom, I doubt if there are many on here that would welcome failure

I don't think there's anyone at all who welcomes failure.

Jay_7 hits the nail on the head when he says that ICT are not performing as well as we know they can. That, IMHO, is why there are so many disappointed people on here. An awful lot of what's been on offer this season has been sub-standard and lacklustre, not exactly the sort of thing most people enjoy; "endure" would be a better word. Most of the "moaning" is because we know we can do better, but have consistently failed to do so this season.

Regards the relegation issue , personally I've never felt that we've been in serious trouble yet, too early.

I agree, we havn't been in serious trouble regarding relegation yet. But what i disagreed with was what you said something along the lines of, "the current setup looks to be continuing in this vein", (regarding avoiding relegation) when infact we are only 3 points of bottom. So i didn't think that was a fair comment.

Edited by Iain

Guest RPFaither

There must be a happy medium.

That James van Praagh seems a cheery kind of chappy!!

But, seriously, 9 points separate 3rd place and bottom! Every team in the EssPeeEll (apart from OF) are 'suffering' from inconsistency. IMO the significant difference is that ICT aren't getting the rub of the green and getting at least a draw in games where they've fully deserved at least that. I think we've lost a few games by the odd goal. For example that Hamilton game - if we'd got the draw - would have us 6 points clear of them. That's just one game. This league is going to be very tight - but better results at home are priceless. Keep the faith! :rotflmao:

honestly what do some folk expect ?

I expect Brewster to pick his best 11 every week and put it on the park.

I expect those 11 players to be motivated by the manager as that is part of his job.

I expect those 11 professional players to act in a professional manner, perform consistently, and get the job done.

I do NOT expect us to win every game but I do expect us to put in an effort in each game.

I do NOT expect everyone to like Brewster, that never happens with managers in almost any field.

I do NOT expect us to lie down and be rodgered the way we were against Rangers. That is not acceptable.

[i expect Brewster to pick his best 11 every week and put it on the park. On paper/training ground and on park can be two different teams!

I expect those 11 players to be motivated by the manager as that is part of his job. Once on park motivation must be carried by players or captain.

I expect those 11 professional players to act in a professional manner, perform consistently, and get the job done.

Funny you say that - could not agree more!

I do NOT expect us to win every game but I do expect us to put in an effort in each game. Agreed

I do NOT expect everyone to like Brewster, that never happens with managers in almost any field. Another agreed

I do NOT expect us to lie down and be rodgered the way we were against Rangers. That is not acceptable.

Killie, umpteen places above us, were rodgered the following week, maybe just highlights the ability gap between the halves and halve nots.

I've not read most of the thread as I imagine it's pretty much following the same route as a couple of others.

But in answer to the original thread title.....what exactly do we have to "enjoy" right now?

I enjoy watching/listening to ICT playing well, giving it their all and it's all the better if we can get a result from a game. I get no enjoyment watching/listening to teams around us hoping they do worse than we do, and I certainly don't follow ICT because I get enjoyment from looking at a league table....no matter how bad/good we are doing.

As I said to someone else today when we were talking about ICT. I don't really give two hoots about league position at this time of the year, it can (and does) change so often that it can be a very poor indicator of the current state of the team. Other teams playing worse than us or being in a worse position is no cause for enjoyment, and still wouldn't be if we happened to be sitting at the upper end of the table....it certainly isn't any justification for keeping someone in a job.

Yes, it could be worse, but it could (and IMO should) be a hell of a lot better. That's not an attitude born out of any arrogance about thinking we should be winning games by just turning up, or that we are any better than anyone else, it's born out of the fact that we're not seeing ICT playing to their potential.

Can anyone put hand on heart and say that they honestly think ICT have given the best, or even close to best, account of themselves this season (or even last season)? If you can't, then I fail to see how you can continue to back the status quo, or preach to anyone that they should "just enjoy it".

Actually, I do think that ICT have played at their best or close to their best on occasion since Brewster returned, the home victory anainst Celtic last season and the first game of this season at Pittodrie come to mind.

The players clearly have the potential to hold their own against anyone in the division. That's why it's so frustrating that such perfromances in the last two seasons have been so few and far between. It's inevitable that any side will have off days and poor performances but since Brewster returned for every game where the team have played to their potential there seem to be five or six where the players seem less than motivated and the team tactically naive.

In my opinion, the fault for that lies squrely with the managemtnt and coaching team with prime responsiblity being Brewster's. We had a rare competent and tactically proficient performance against Hibs. Our next three matches are all agaist opposition we should be capable of beating if we play to our potential.

My fear is that we will revert to type and follow our hard earned victory at Easter Road with the usual dross. If I'm wrong and we do perform competently in these matches then maybe, just maybe, Brewster has a future as manager of this club. If not, then what more evidence will the Board need that it's time for a change ?

I agree, we havn't been in serious trouble regarding relegation yet. But what i disagreed with was what you said something along the lines of, "the current setup looks to be continuing in this vein", (regarding avoiding relegation) when infact we are only 3 points of bottom. So i didn't think that was a fair comment.

And only three points of sixth place. We're not Rangers or Celtic. Like the other tenine teams in the league we will go up a bit and down a bit each week.

And only three points of sixth place. We're not Rangers or Celtic. Like the other ten teams in the league we will go up a bit and down a bit each week.

and that brings us back to ... consistency !!! Quite a few of us have mentioned it, and quite a few have mentioned the lack of it, both in terms of ICT and other teams ..... If Brewster and the players can somehow collaborate to make our team more consistent then maybe, this type of discussion wont be the only consistent thing on the site !!!