FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Weird Friendlies

Renegade

Just thinking earlier about some of the bizarrer teams ICT have played in friendly matches over the years. Obviously the first one that comes to mind is ICT's 2-0 win over the Qatar U21 side in Italy. ICT have also had friendlies against teams like Bolton and QPR, but are there any friendlies that ICT have played in that have been against teams who aren't the normal Highland leagues sides they normally play or were there any rumoured friendlies against more unusual opponents, that in the end never happened? Discuss.

Here are all our pre-season friendlies since 1994 :lol:

• 1994/95: St Mirren, Bolton, Brechin, Celtic, Highland League Select (at end of season)
  • 1995/96: Inverurie, Huntly, Lossie, Buckie,
  • 1996/97: Fraserburgh, St Johnstone, QOS, Hamilton. Highland League Select (last game at Telford St), Inverness & District Select (first game at Caledonian Stadium), Aberdeen (end of season), 1st Battalion Highlanders (end of season at Catterick)
  • 1997/98: Wick, Dunfermline, Lewis/Harris Select, Deveronvale, Huntly, St Johnstone (Hercher Testimonial), Rangers, Celtic (Christie Testimonial), Chic Charnley Select (Charity - Cerebal Palsy),
  • 1998/99: Cove, Keith, Rothes, Aberdeen, Hamilton, Lossie, Alford Amateur, Wick, Thurso Academical, Hibs (Calder Testimonial), Fraserburgh,
  • 1999/00: Fort William, Clach, Cove, Forfar, Keith, Lossie, Forres, Dundee, Rothes, St Johnstone (Noble Testimonial)
  • 2000/01: Lossie, Mansfield, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Fort William, Huntly, Rothes
  • 2001/02: Huntly, forfar, Lossie, Celtic XI, Peterhead, Elgin, Orkney, Buckie
  • 2002/03: Morton, Montrose, Peterhead, Lossie, Huntly, Elgin, Benbecula, Deveronvale (twice)
  • 2003/04: Clach, Forres, Brora, Aberdeen, Livingston, Lossie, Forfar, Hearts, Nairn, Wick
  • 2004/05: Brora, Huntly, Lossie, QPR, Deveronvale, Forfar, Hartlepool, Elgin, Clach (twice)
  • 2005/06: Denmark Tour (3 games - Nykobing F Alliancen, FC Nordsjaelland, Hornbaek), Blackpool, Peterhead, Ross County
  • 2006:07: Italy Tour (2 games - Montecatini, FC La Fenice Pistoia), Elgin, Huntly, Peterhead, Deveronvale, Ross County, Clach, Sheffield Utd (Tokely Testimonial)
  • 2007/08: Italy Tour (2 games - Qatar U20, Universiatea Craivoa), Deveronvale, Elgin, Clach, Keith, Inverurie, Peterhead, Clach, Wick, Ross County,
  • 2008:09: Clach, Inverurie, Ross County, St Johnstone, Denmark Tour (3 games - Lollandfalster, FC Nordsjaelland, Herfolge), Burnley, Liverpool (Wilson Testimonial)
  • 2009/10: Clach, Buckie, Elgin, Huntly, Brechin, Forres, Dundee Utd

[*]2006:07: Italy Tour (2 games - Montecatini, FC La Fenice Pistoia

[*]2007/08: Italy Tour (2 games - Qatar U20, Universiatea Craivoa),

I was at the Montecatini game in 2006 although I had to get back to Inverness before the second one. The Montecatini game broke all manner of records. It was (I think) 12-0 ICT which remains the biggest score in any ICT game. It also produced the fastest goal and the smallest crowd which, excluding a Highland media corps of four, numbered something like 11 at kick off before rising, Clachnacuddinesque, to about 25 later on. Just the previous day I had watched the players train in the searing heat on the same pitch while I did my own session on the running track which went round it. I think Golly's heart monitor converted to the highest work rate in the sprints.

But as for that game - if you thought County's annihilation of Stirling Albion was one way traffic.....

The small crowd of course meant relative silence punctuated only by the referee's whistle, the usual shouts of the players on the park..... and the incessant whine of Lambretta scooters which Italian youth seems to ride manically absolutely everywhere.

Not as manic, though, as the following night when Italy won their semi final of the 2006 World Cup. The locals just went mental... two on a Lambretta... three on a Lambretta.... three on a Lambretta waving flags and drinking Peroni. The procession went round and round Montecatini for much of the night as the ICT players tried to sleep in their hotel right in the middle of it.

And that was just the semi. Unfortunately I had gone home by the time they won the final. The thing was, though, there was a good humour and complete lack of aggressive edge to it all which would have been difficult to replicate in Britain. I would not have felt so safe in similar circumstances in the UK.

I was unable to go back the following year but apparently the Romanian side Universiatea Craivoa were the biggest bunch of divers, cheats and chancers you ever saw.

(Sorry Stevico!)

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I recall a friendly we played against a Romanian team who were a dreadful bunch of hacks and they got a player sent off...but the ref said they could sub another player on to even up the teams.

Also McAllister got a hat-trick against that Danish team last summer.

Not quite bizarre friendlies but certainly bizarre moments in them.

I recall a friendly we played against a Romanian team who were a dreadful bunch of hacks and they got a player sent off...but the ref said they could sub another player on to even up the teams.

I seem to recollect that one as well and it might have been Unirea Urziceni who beat Rangers recently but I can't remember exactly. The story with the sending off, was something like the Romanian bloke was sent off and when he went off the Romanians sneekily threw another guy on but they were found out not long afterwards IIRC.

Edit - just noticed the list further above and it wasn't Unirea at all, rather Craivo. My mistake.

Edited by Renegade

When you said Bolton, did you mean Burnley, or have we done Bolton as well.

No, and going by the list ICT have played both.

Does anyone else recollect sometime in the late 1990s - early 2000s there were rumours that Barcelona and Athletico Bilbao coming to play ICT for some friendlies?

I also seem to remember that there was also talk of ICT playing Fiorentina when they were over in Italy once.

I also remember around 2007 ish there was talk of ICT going to America for a small tour of Texas with friendlies against local MLS sides FC Dallas and Houston Dynamo being touted. I seem to remember reading about it once and then there was never any talk of it again.

[*]2006:07: Italy Tour (2 games - Montecatini, FC La Fenice Pistoia

[*]2007/08: Italy Tour (2 games - Qatar U20, Universiatea Craivoa),

I was unable to go back the following year but apparently the Romanian side Universiatea Craivoa were the biggest bunch of divers, cheats and chancers you ever saw.

(Sorry Stevico!)

Charlie Christie actually told me they weren't that bad but think he was just trying not to hurt my feelings as everybody else told me same as you Charles :lol:

That was the Romnanian team I was meaning. And would the Danish have been from their "Second Division"? :)

T6NY - I may well have mentioned this at some point since 2006 or you may have read the stuff I did for the Highland News at the time. But I don't think I've said anything recently.

I remember the Bolton friendly in the less than friendly summer of 1994 very clearly since it was CT's second ever match after the rather uninspiring debut game against Simmurn. The night of the Bolton match was best remembered for the discovery and quick covering up of the Caley Rebels' painting of the Telford Street untinals black and red after plastering the rest of the place with blue and white! :lol::lol:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Guest Mahonio

Here are all our pre-season friendlies since 1994 :)

• 1994/95: St Mirren, Bolton, Brechin, Celtic, Highland League Select (at end of season)
  • 1995/96: Inverurie, Huntly, Lossie, Buckie,
  • 1996/97: Fraserburgh, St Johnstone, QOS, Hamilton. Highland League Select (last game at Telford St), Inverness & District Select (first game at Caledonian Stadium), Aberdeen (end of season), 1st Battalion Highlanders (end of season at Catterick)
  • 1997/98: Wick, Dunfermline, Lewis/Harris Select, Deveronvale, Huntly, St Johnstone (Hercher Testimonial), Rangers, Celtic (Christie Testimonial), Chic Charnley Select (Charity - Cerebal Palsy),
  • 1998/99: Cove, Keith, Rothes, Aberdeen, Hamilton, Lossie, Alford Amateur, Wick, Thurso Academical, Hibs (Calder Testimonial), Fraserburgh,
  • 1999/00: Fort William, Clach, Cove, Forfar, Keith, Lossie, Forres, Dundee, Rothes, St Johnstone (Noble Testimonial)
  • 2000/01: Lossie, Mansfield, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Fort William, Huntly, Rothes
  • 2001/02: Huntly, forfar, Lossie, Celtic XI, Peterhead, Elgin, Orkney, Buckie
  • 2002/03: Morton, Montrose, Peterhead, Lossie, Huntly, Elgin, Benbecula, Deveronvale (twice)
  • 2003/04: Clach, Forres, Brora, Aberdeen, Livingston, Lossie, Forfar, Hearts, Nairn, Wick
  • 2004/05: Brora, Huntly, Lossie, QPR, Deveronvale, Forfar, Hartlepool, Elgin, Clach (twice)
  • 2005/06: Denmark Tour (3 games - Nykobing F Alliancen, FC Nordsjaelland, Hornbaek), Blackpool, Peterhead, Ross County
  • 2006:07: Italy Tour (2 games - Montecatini, FC La Fenice Pistoia), Elgin, Huntly, Peterhead, Deveronvale, Ross County, Clach, Sheffield Utd (Tokely Testimonial)
  • 2007/08: Italy Tour (2 games - Qatar U20, Universiatea Craivoa), Deveronvale, Elgin, Clach, Keith, Inverurie, Peterhead, Clach, Wick, Ross County,
  • 2008:09: Clach, Inverurie, Ross County, St Johnstone, Denmark Tour (3 games - Lollandfalster, FC Nordsjaelland, Herfolge), Burnley, Liverpool (Wilson Testimonial)
  • 2009/10: Clach, Buckie, Elgin, Huntly, Brechin, Forres, Dundee Utd

Can anyone tell me the scores of the games i have put in bold because apart from the 2007/08 game i didn't support Inverness CT and the funny thing is that if i had i would have went to them as i live in Thurso and am 20mile away from Week, oh damn i better translate that as Wick for anyone who doesn't understand Wicker accent :lol::lol: Also, was the Thurso game at home or away and if it was away was it played at a stadium known as the Dammies up here in Thurso?

Finally, why don't they try for a friendly against Halkirk United (5miles outside Thurso) who play in North Caley League i think or you could also play teams like Golspie, Muir of Ord, Tain etc. who also play in the same league, but the one warning about the Golspie team is that i have been told that their manager is a nutcase, who argues and greets when decisions go against his team.

Edited by Mahonio

Can anyone tell me the scores of the games i have put in bold

1. 1997/98: Wick, @Harmsworth Park 0-5 (19/07/97)
  2. 1998/99: Thurso Academical @ Thurso (18/07/98), no score available. labelled as a "centenary match"
  3. 1998/99: Wick, @Harmsworth Park 1-6 (08/12/98)
  4. 2003/04: Wick, @Harmsworth Park 1-3 (09/08/03) - 2nd team played, 1st team had league game at Stenny
  5. 2007/08: Wick, @Harmsworth Park 1-1 (27/07/07) - 2nd team played, 1st team played the next day in Dingwall

Yep. Rory scored 3 and Rooney the other against Herfolge Boldklub who were then in the Danish div 1. Since then they merged with Kobe BK to form HB Kobe. They won div 1 last season and now sit mid table of the Danish Superliga.

Guest Mahonio

i live in Thurso and am 20mile away from Week, oh damn i better translate that as Wick for anyone who doesn't understand Wicker accent

You mean you're from "up ee rodd"? :lol:

:lol::lol: True but how do you ken wicker accent?

i live in Thurso and am 20mile away from Week, oh damn i better translate that as Wick for anyone who doesn't understand Wicker accent

You mean you're from "up ee rodd"? :lol:

:lol::lol: True but how do you ken wicker accent?

I think most people know "up ee rodd" which tends to be your non Wicker's token item of "Weekspeak" but, although Invernessian born and bred and by inclination, two of my grandparents came from around Canisbay and one from Wick. I could therefore easily sustain a conversation in broad "Week" but would cringe at the prospect. The other grandparent, my paternal grandmother, was a Fraser from Shore Street in Inverness and would have remembered the crowds going to watch Citadel.

That was the Romnanian team I was meaning. And would the Danish have been from their "Second Division"? :lol:

Actually i think it was the team that Played Queen of the South in the Uefa cup last season. And Bajram Fetai plays for them as well...but i forget their name.

Me & 2 mates travelled down to the Burnley friendly last season... the away stand had only 6 fans in it... that was a weird friendly... wierder yet Barrowman scored :lol:

It was great only having to travel 50 miles to watch ICT.

Some half-time fan photo's at 1.09

Me & 2 mates travelled down to the Burnley friendly last season... the away stand had only 6 fans in it... that was a weird friendly... wierder yet Barrowman scored :lol:

It was great only having to travel 50 miles to watch ICT.

Some half-time fan photo's at 1.09

more than I remember then... 12 maybe :lol:

Think we were to the right of the stand, can't see us in your pictures anyway

I think after watching that game I posted on here "Barrowman looks as though he'll score a lot of goals for us this season" :lol:

Edited by Harry Chibber