FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Riding our luck

Bronson

I think that we have been really lucky to come out of the last two games V St Mirren and Killie, without conceding a barrowlaod of goals. St. Mirren could and should have put four or five past us, and if it hadn't been for the performances of Esson and Tokely last night Kilmarnock really could have inflicted our heaviest ever defeat.

Rooney has scored a good few goals but how many of them have been penalties? Am I correct in saying that he hasn't scored since contract "negotiation" started.

We have pulled points out of the bag when we have been severely under pressure and didn't deserve to, so things are just evening up now.

I've been feeling rotten with a bug since boxing day and dragged myslef out of my sick bed to watch that 5hit last night, even debating whether or not to bother travelling on the 2nd now.

Over the next few weeks we really could see several teams leapfrogging us, which could set us up for an unpleaant run in to the close season, esp when all the talk about Europe etc had us all excited.

Bahh humbug!

Naah.... A tad harsh methinks....

We did have a ten minute spell in the second half last night when we came close to equalising, and if we had we might have gone on to snatch a winner.

It was the same in the Midden game which was very finely balanced up until the final ten minutes.

We'll get over this setback - hopefully starting against St Johnstone on Sunday. An on form, and in the mood Hayes is a big miss, and the sooner he is fit again the better for us. It will be interesting to see who TB can bring in during the January window.

I'm still confident of a top 6 finish this season

I was chatting away to a few pals the other day, and none of us could remember us having any sort of bad 'run' yet this season.

Every team has a bad spell, and I think this may well be ours.

I'm not too bothered we've lost 2 on the trot, and both were at home. Simply because we have shown ourselves so far this season as being a team to fear.

That fear will still be there in Perth on the 2nd. They'll know we've lost the last two, but they'll also know we've got a fantastic away record and a great mix of youth and experience to compete with anyone.

We're sitting 5th now (on goal diff from Killie). At the start of the season, If someone was to offer that going into new year, I would have taken it.

Perhaps with this fantastic year and the praise we've had from the footballing world, the expectation levels have once again risen to high from our supporters? Lets keep our feet on the ground and concentrate on 3 points in our next league encounter!

'MON THE CALEY JAGS :ictscarf:

• Agree 3

Perhaps with this fantastic year and the praise we've had from the footballing world, the expectation levels have once again risen to high from our supporters? Lets keep our feet on the ground and concentrate on 3 points in our next league encounter!

I think it's more the fact that whilst the team does really well away from home they continue to under perform in front of their own fans and it's a perplexing scenario as to why this keeps happening. It's not a problem restricted to this ICT of course, it's something that goes back a long way and it's frustration from the fans as it's a problem that shows no signs of going away :sad:

Agree wholeheartedly with Gringo Jnr. Every team has a bad spell this is probably ours and we should prepare for it to last a bit longer too I think. Fan expectations need to come back down to earth a bit and we should be thankful for the points weve got ath the moment.

Rig, the way some in the north stand shout at the players no wonder they look nervous playing at home. On away days they dont have to put up with that. Yes home form could be so much better but a bit of a reality check would be good to. Im sure the players dont go out of their way to play badly at home but to hear some youd really think so.

I think on our budget weve done great so far and Im sure all the team and Terry and Mo will be working hard to put it right.

Rig, the way some in the north stand shout at the players no wonder they look nervous playing at home. On away days they dont have to put up with that. Yes home form could be so much better but a bit of a reality check would be good to. Im sure the players dont go out of their way to play badly at home but to hear some youd really think so.

There were some quality shouts in the North Stand last night but the winner for me had to be "Aww Esson, f**k sake man release it quicker! You're atrocious!"

Some of the stuff that comes out is mind boggling.

I think that we have been really lucky to come out of the last two games V St Mirren and Killie, without conceding a barrowlaod of goals. St. Mirren could and should have put four or five past us, and if it hadn't been for the performances of Esson and Tokely last night Kilmarnock really could have inflicted our heaviest ever defeat.

Rooney has scored a good few goals but how many of them have been penalties? Am I correct in saying that he hasn't scored since contract "negotiation" started.

We have pulled points out of the bag when we have been severely under pressure and didn't deserve to, so things are just evening up now.

I've been feeling rotten with a bug since boxing day and dragged myslef out of my sick bed to watch that 5hit last night, even debating whether or not to bother travelling on the 2nd now.

Over the next few weeks we really could see several teams leapfrogging us, which could set us up for an unpleaant run in to the close season, esp when all the talk about Europe etc had us all excited.

Bahh humbug!

Im sure if Adam felt the way you did with your bug - you can appreciate how he felt trying to do his job over the past few days. By the way do penalties not count ? Come on lets not start picking out certain players because weve lost 2 games - what about all the other games weve won.

I think if we're honest, looking at our last 5 games before they came about, we'd have thought 4 points not a bad haul. That is, lose to Celtic, Rangers and Hearts, beat St Mirren and draw with Killie. So we're only a point worse than that. It is just so disappointing that we saved our worst performances for last 2 home games.

I agree with IHE that the tactics need to change. 4-5-1 against St Mirren was negative in the extreme. I also agree with Bronson's opening post where he questioned Rooney's scoring record. I tend to think his scoring to chances ratio is not great (forgetting the penalties of course).

I'd also like to see Gillet back in the defence.

Having said all that, wouldn't we have accepted this position at the start of the season? I think so, and if can hold things together reasonably well in the second half, top 6 is still a distinct possibility.

• Agree 1

Our awy form will keep us in touch with the hunt for the Top Six - here come a few red dots for me but shurely Butcher can see what is going wrong at home and he has to unleash an attacking mode and release some of his favourites to boot.

Can you explain what you mean by that phrase? Release his favourites as in put people like Gil on the park and let Foran/Odi attack. Or release as in get rid of Foran/Odi or whoever?

There were some quality shouts in the North Stand last night but the winner for me had to be "Aww Esson, f**k sake man release it quicker! You're atrocious!"

Some of the stuff that comes out is mind bog

gling.

The Guy behind me, who deliberately spoke loudly because he thinks he's a banter legend, came up with "Bloominstein, more like Bloominheck". I think he came up with it before the game and was saving it. He was fat, the film s7even went through my head.

I was chatting away to a few pals the other day, and none of us could remember us having any sort of bad 'run' yet this season.

I would call losing 6 out of 10 home games this season a bad run!

See, that's what I would call a poor home record, not a poor run. :nanananana:

I think if we're honest, looking at our last 5 games before they came about, we'd have thought 4 points not a bad haul. That is, lose to Celtic, Rangers and Hearts, beat St Mirren and draw with Killie. So we're only a point worse than that. It is just so disappointing that we saved our worst performances for last 2 home games.

I agree with IHE that the tactics need to change. 4-5-1 against St Mirren was negative in the extreme. I also agree with Bronson's opening post where he questioned Rooney's scoring record. I tend to think his scoring to chances ratio is not great (forgetting the penalties of course).

I'd also like to see Gillet back in the defence.

Having said all that, wouldn't we have accepted this position at the start of the season? I think so, and if can hold things together reasonably well in the second half, top 6 is still a distinct possibility.

That's a fair conclusion. I am still delighted with the teams performances so far this season. TB/MM have the window coming up to see what they can add to the squad and their track record with signings is pretty good with about a 50% success rate in revealing promising talent. This season is about consolidating in the SPL, let's enjoy our successes.

Our awy form will keep us in touch with the hunt for the Top Six - here come a few red dots for me but shurely Butcher can see what is going wrong at home and he has to unleash an attacking mode and release some of his favourites to boot.

Can you explain what you mean by that phrase? Release his favourites as in put people like Gil on the park and let Foran/Odi attack. Or release as in get rid of Foran/Odi or whoever?

Eric would be the first to go to the bench - I cannot believe that he still starts at home - he is an effective substitute and little else.

Foran as I alluded to in another thread looks the part away from home when he plays a lot deeper, he can pass and has the head for the game and he is far more effective coming from deep - why cant that be mirrored at home. I also think that Duncan and Cox are a good pairing away from home but far too defensive and lacking in the killer ball to be playing together at home.

I would give Gil a run but in the position that TB appears to favour Eric in.

• Agree 1

I thought Killy were the best footballing side I have seen this year at tulloch stadium. Just as a matter of interest did anybody think that they had a Marius look a like playing for them. Having said that he is a much better player.

Don't think too much needs to change, it's been a cracking year and it's served us well so far. If anything, the last couple of games have just highlighted how light our squad actually is... and TB has already said that is something to be addressed in the transfer window.

Didn't realise Rooney was suffering from a virus, he definitely wasn't his usual energetic and hard working self over the 2 Xmas games but obviously had to play because we don't have another recognised striker in the squad. It might have been a good time to play Sutherland or Foran in the centre forward position and shuffle the rest around? In both games we seemed to go 2 up front in the second half, possibly to give Rooney the extra help if he wasn't 100%? Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

If Rooney isn't at full fitness on Sunday then maybe a front line of Odhiambo, Ross, Sutherland with Foran as centre forward might be worth a try? Ross doesn't seem to have the pace to play wide and is more effective in the middle, I'd like to see Odhiambo given a run out there with Hayes out and Sutherland impressed me on the left against St Mirren.