FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is P/T football heading for the SPL?

SMEE

I cant help but think, with the state of the game in Scotland, that at least some teams in the SPL may have to seriously think about part time football.

I think all it will take is one team to take the plunge and others will follow.

What do you lot think is going to happen?

Aslong as the old firm are around I can't see it.

Many leagues have had hard times in the past. Even england. We will get through it imo. Our under 21 team is very competitive now. And I think it shows the enthuses been put in youth development.

No it's not. As Luke says, there are points that need to be addressed, but it isn't all gloom. Doncaster rightly says that this is one of the best supported leagues going (by percentage of total capita) and there is evidence that Mark Wotte's part in McLeish's initiatives is beginning to show fruit. Football sufffers from a lack of uptake at grass roots level, but there is improvement there too. What is wrong is a slavish reliance on an outdated financial model that is perpetuated by two clibs. Sort that and we might get somewhere.

Shocking money for a job most (all) of them can't do. Do they have to pay their travelling costs out of that or is that on expenses?

Going to be a bit controversial here and say the I understand giving the refs a pay rise, who the heck would want ot do that job. I agree it should be performance related but how many, myself included say I need to see the replay before I can comment after a difficult desision, the ref doesnt have that luxury. The way players and managers are to refs these days they need to be well rewarded or nobody will do it.

Shocking money for a job most (all) of them can't do. Do they have to pay their travelling costs out of that or is that on expenses?

The standard of refereeing in Scotland that I have witnessed is consistently higher than I have seen at international level and in other countries, including the english top flight where the money is silly IMO. Not saying they don't get things wrong but...

• Agree 2

The standard of refereeing in Scotland that I have witnessed is consistently higher than I have seen at international level and in other countries, including the english top flight where the money is silly IMO. Not saying they don't get things wrong but...

At least they are far better than others right? I notice that too...

Clubs slashing their budgets and laying off players, meanwhile http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/14064682

Scandalous.

And that is the problem with Scottish football.......if the refs are getting that, then you can't wonder that the players want more than that and clubs are having financial problems. What sickens me is that an RGN with years of experience is getting half that for a full working week and one helluva lot more responsibility and use to the community.

Never quite got my head round the celebrity/sport culture.....paying people a lot for not a lot of any use.

• Agree 1