FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

McKay's worth

bauhaus

Purely speculation here, but what value and worth would we put on our young King Billy these days.

Now I am only asking what we would think our top scorer is reasonable worth in the current market. Aberdeen having just sold an 18 year old with minimal first team appearances for £ 300k. And then on the other hand Neil Lennons Celtic are quoting ludicrous values for his players. They have turned down a bid of £ 5.5m from Norwich, and value him three times that, Wanyama is being valued at £ 25m although he is class, but not that much.

McKay has also been called up for the national team, but Hooper has not.

Our McKay has out scored Hooper this season, in a team that doesnt create as much as Celtic. I dont want him to go anywhere either, but what price would you put on him now 

Purely speculation here, but what value and worth would we put on our young King Billy these days.

Now I am only asking what we would think our top scorer is reasonable worth in the current market. Aberdeen having just sold an 18 year old with minimal first team appearances for £ 300k. And then on the other hand Neil Lennons Celtic are quoting ludicrous values for his players. They have turned down a bid of £ 5.5m from Norwich, and value him three times that, Wanyama is being valued at £ 25m although he is class, but not that much.

McKay has also been called up for the national team, but Hooper has not.

Our McKay has out scored Hooper this season, in a team that doesnt create as much as Celtic. I dont want him to go anywhere either, but what price would you put on him now 

I would say 500k to a million despite the fact that he is the top scorer in the SPL and Hooper, 5th in the charts, is supposedly worth millions. That isn't based on what i think he's worth, just the sort of offer I think the club would accept for him.

And by the way; "King Billy"? Ibrox is that way  :arrowdown:

Edited by Guest

We sell too many players on the cheap. Look at some of the multi million pound duds moving around in England. Billy is not a dud but needs to prove he can continue scoring next year before he considers a move. Rooney has cash in the bank, but does not play.   

He may just drift as Terry predicted warning him he needed more experience. But he did not listen.

• Agree 1

Realistically, if we were selling him we would probably be happy with £1m, but stick him in a Celtic shirt and he would instantly be worth £10m ...... would rather keep him though and see him score in Europe next season (with an assist from Shinniesta)

• Agree 1

Whats he worth - what someone is prepared to pay but IMO he is easily worth the same sort of figure as Jonny Russell who s quoted about £2M in the media.

Although what a club would offer to ICT and what the board would accept - I think he would be sold for £400-600k.

Edited by bdu98196

What I think he's worth: £1.5m-£2m.
What I think would be realistic to accept: Anything above 750k

What I think the club would accept: 400k+

History shows we have let our 'stars' leave on the cheap, and in many cases, for free.
That to me is bad business. Selling you prized assets for nothing is rediculous

One thing I would like to see though, if he does go cheap, is the club force through some sort of 'signing on fee' should he head from club to club. IE, we we sell him for 400k but for any transfer after that from any club, ICT get 25%. Not entirely sure how these systems work, or even if they're allowed, but at least the club would continue to benfit from the loss of such a talent as Billy.

Really hope he stays. He can then push to exceed Denzil's goal record for the club, and cement himself as a club legend.

We are still a small club and, without resources, next and any year could be a medicore one.Especially if we sell off our most productive assets and disrupt the team in the process.

Unfortunately, the reputation and status of any club has a large bearing on transfer fees. .So I think we would be lucky at this stage to get 500 although probably a more realistic fee could be 800 pounds.

Another year or so at ICT would increase his value significantly PROVIDED of course that his skill at scoring continues apace. Otherwise the asset value turns south.

We are still a small club and, without resources, next and any year could be a medicore one.Especially if we sell off our most productive assets and disrupt the team in the process.

Unfortunately, the reputation and status of any club has a large bearing on transfer fees. .So I think we would be lucky at this stage to get 500 although probably a more realistic fee could be 800 pounds.

Another year or so at ICT would increase his value significantly PROVIDED of course that his skill at scoring continues apace. Otherwise the asset value turns south.

I'm sure we could get a bit more then £800 for him .

I think a few people are selling the club short in terms of what they think they would accept.

ICT (especially Terry) know only too well what he is really worth in terms of what he does and will continue to contribute to the team....I therefore don't think we'd welcome anything less than a 7 figure offer at this point in time.

I think a few people are selling the club short in terms of what they think they would accept.

ICT (especially Terry) know only too well what he is really worth in terms of what he does and will continue to contribute to the team....I therefore don't think we'd welcome anything less than a 7 figure offer at this point in time.

I think that is based on previous experience though CD ..... We have seen numerous people leave for peanuts before, mostly because the end of a contract was near and we took what we could get rather than £0 a few months later. Although it does have benefits, that is one of the risks we have taken with only offering 2 year deals to our players. Personally, I think we have seen that the backroom team have a good eye for talent and I would like us to offer longer deals to some players, but I understand why we dont.

I would also like to think that TB and the club have toughened up a bit now that we are sitting so high in the league and would laugh in the face of any offer under 7 figures, but lets face it, with the club typically losing anywhere from £150K - £250K per year unless we have cup runs or windfall payments the chance to balance the books for a couple of years with a single transfer fee is enticing ..... however, I live in hope that there are one or two with balls who might see that holding out for a higher fee could balance the books for 3 or 4 years or longer !!!

Having said that ... I would far rather see ICT in Europe next year with Billy McKay banging one in in the Bernabeau from an Andy Shinnie assist .. and then rushing off to celebrate with Doran, Foran, Warren, Draper, OTJ, et all .... before saluting the Immortal One in the stands who is in the process of being ejected after over celebrating with their €2 beers !!!!

That's kinda what I was getting at...although I never really said it.

Our league position and cup fortunes to date offer us the option (if need be) to be a bit tougher in our dealings with external offers....and Mckay (small k) has played a large part in that, and could in the future.  If his contribution is seen as being worth a couple of league places and/or a couple of extra cup games then that can easily be £500k value per year right there....factor in the cost of a replacement and the risk of them not performing to the same level and you're looking at the possibility of another substantial 6 figure addition to that.

Gut feeling....Mckay will sing another year with us.

• Agree 1

I'm sure we could get a bit more then £800 for him .

You've got to remember DC that the old 'Pimple' still thinks in pounds shillings and pence and you also have to factor in inflation from 1948 onwards...........now that should just about round it up! :tongueincheek:  :wink:

• Agree 3