FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

January Transfer Window

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

I am probably far to early to be posting this because Transfer Window doesn't open for another 3-4 Months but what is needed in January in your opinion?

I reckon 1 Centre Half is a must, maybe 2 and also a Striker who is a goalscorer, other than that i reckon we are fine.

Goalkeeper- We have 2 great goalies so don't need anyone in that position.

Right Back- We have 3 players who can play in this position in Piermayr, Tokely and Proctor.

Left Back- Don't need anyone in this position either as we have Gillet and G.Shinnie who can play here.

Midfield- I reckon we are fine here as well, in fact maybe overloaded in this position, what do you guys think?

Edited by Mahonio

Once Hogg is back and running fit, our centre-back pairing is as good as most of our rivals, with Jones also being able to fit in there.

Easy to say we need a striker but who? Do we do a Dunfermline and go for a seasoned, but unremarkable, pro like Barrowman. Or do we go down the leagues to pick up a goal machine from there, like Rory?

So, for me:

DEF: I don't see how we can have a fit Tokely, Jones or Hogg on the bench. I doubt we can afford better than we've got.

MID: what we're desperately missing is a defensive mid. However, that's just injury. No problem when they are back.

WING: Not many clubs at our level with the likes of Hayes and Doran to call on. No problem after the injury crisis.

ATTACK: bringing in a regular 20-goal striker would be ideal. But if Hearts, Aberdeen, Dunfermline etc are struggling with that, you've got to say who? If we can, great. But we'll score more with Hayes and Doran firing in the crosses.

In other words, don't panic. We're not so far off. Yep, we're missing Rooney but those players aren't easy to find. Who are your suggestions for a cheap attacker that will guarantee goals? We couldn't even afford Darren Mackie - and that says a lot.

Main areas for improvement is centre half and striker.

Our defending this year has been abysmal, it certainly hasnt been helped by injuries but we seriously need to strengthen this position

St Johnstone made a pair of very shrewd acquisitions in Sandaza and Sheridan this year. Granted Sheridan is only on loan but it shows that lower end SPL clubs can still sign decent forwards. No reason why we shouldnt be able to also

Edited by Libero

We have loan players because we dont have to pay full wages. We dont have tax and insurance costs. We dont have employer liability costs. To get one player in of the required calibre would probably cost us the equivalent of three loan players.

No reason why we shouldnt go for another loan deal. Like you say loan deals are less costly and risky and there is no reason why we cant attract someone akin to Sheridan on loan who IMO is a pretty good player

Edited by Libero

And who would that player be?

personally i have no idea, i am not privvy to avaliable players/transfer lists/wage limits/scouting info but i'm sure Terry has a vast amount of agents/players in touch all the time. IMO i think our defence and striking departments are a bit on the weak side where as we have a strong midfield (when all fit)

To put it simply i believe that if the likes of St Mirren and St Johnstone can sign the players such as StevenThomson, Cillian Sheridan, Sandaza etc then we should be able to attract players of similar calibre

Edited by Libero

Chippendale and Golobart will be gone by January, of that i have no doubts. Davis seems to have done enough to impress Terry though so i can see his loan being extended. I agree a defensive aspect is needed in the middle but with Tudur Jones and Cox coming back i dont see it being a priority

In defence a center half is an absolute must. If i were to suggest a player it would be Darren Barr, he has fallen way down the pecking order at Hearts and im sure would relish an opportunity of first team football, much like Hogg did when he left Hibs. A loan deal till the end of the season would suit both parties i think.

Up front is more of a tricky one. One things for sure, Tade and Foran together isnt working, they are both to similar. However its not easy for a club like us to go out and sign a proven scorer. The type of player we need is a penalty area player, bit smaller, someone who plays off the shoulders of defenders. Too often have Tade and Foran both come in field to collect the ball then when they play it they wonder why no ones there.

Perhaps Birmingham could lend us someone for up front

Well he's not even making the bench down there now so it's maybe not such a daft idea !

It would be a win-win situation for us and them...

Wonder if the club has made any approaches about bringing him in on loan?

It's a nice idea but I certainly wouldn't advise him to take a backward step like that. He'll want to fight to reclaim his place at B'ham and if that doesn't work and he is loaned out, there will be plenty of interested clubs in England. He has nothing further to prove by scoring more goals for ICT, whereas he has a lot to lose if he doesn't reproduce that form.

I think we would have to be looking at loan deals. And with Golabart and chippendale away we could look at a better cb, i like the idea of Barr.

Rooney would be great.

John Fleck or John Sutton depending on their situation by January would do.

Iain Russell from Livingston.

Look up his goal scoring record on wikipedia.

Or James Constable who plays for Oxford United. His goal scoring record is pretty good aswell.

Just suggestions though....

Edited by madsooz

Iain Russell from Livingston.

Look up his goal scoring record on wikipedia.

Or James Constable who plays for Oxford United. His goal scoring record is pretty good aswell.

Just suggestions though....

Both players under contract so would cost money to get either of them

Did that American striker Eddie Johnson who was at Fulham ever find a club? Always thought he looked like he had potential.

Edit - Just checked, he doesn't. Was supposed going to go to Chivas USA but contract negotiations broke down. Don't know what his wages would be like, but he could be a good signing I reckon.

Edited by Renegade

Well - sorry to mention it - but this will all depend on the outcome of the Muirfield Mills "bid" and the backroom politics.

Why are we looking elsewhere when we have players sitting on the bench week in, week out who are due a chance and will play for the shirt. The injuries coming back should be like new signings. Spend any money on a solid centre back and a solid centre forward although I concede that those categories are hard to come by.

Guest Mahonio

What about Liam Boyce.

He is a Striker who scored a lot of goals for Werder Bremen but now is released by them, not sure on his weekly wages but i see Killie have offered him a trial and also Norwich and Blackburn eyeing him up as well or even Northern Irish Striker Peter Thompson, surely he won't cost us to much, fee or wage wise?

Liam Boyce's- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Boyce.

Peter Thompson- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thompson_(Northern_Ireland_footballer).

Edited by Mahonio

• 3 weeks later...

We have conceded the most goals so far in the SPL and with the way things have gone in the last two games you have to think that the priority will have to be defensive positions. Added to this the uncertainty of loanees and the possibilty of another unwanted spree of injuries/suspensions that could leave us short at the back for a long period again then finding a versatile defender is I think a priority. Where you find one of those in January, and on a free at that, is the challenge....

We just need players back. If Tudur-Jones comes back ok (but we really need to see if he is with his history), then we have a good defensive midfielder/centre-back. So, if Hogg/Tokely is injured, he can fit in there and Cox into def mid. We also have Proc in a crisis. I can't see us getting a top defender to sit on the bench. Especially finding one for free. At the same time, we can't have a player like Hogg not playing either. We have to cut our coat according to our cloth.

If no Tudur-Jones, then I guess try to keep Davis and Golobart. But we have to think of the finances. Getting Jones, Cox, Hayes and Doran back would change our season from relegation to top six potential. We don't have the cash for the squad we have, so bringing in more isn't feasible.

Davis to get his loan extended would be excellent with the form he is showing.

I still think Golobart and Chippendale will be gone in January and given his major lack of action is it possible that Billy McKay could be away? That would free up some space that imo should got towards 1 defender and 1 striker. A defender with a bit more of a track record and fast striker is what we need imo.