FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Top 5 - Midfielders

TopSix

Quite difficult to compare midfielders IMO. There's a big difference between a good ball player like Christie or Black and a flying winger like Hayes or Robson.

Totally agree. I don't think I would want to make a list other than to say that however you might compare the different attributes of midfielders, top of the list would have to be Barry Wilson. There was always a buzz of expectation when he got on the ball and he still remains 2nd in the club's all time scoring list - and what goals some of those were!

• Agree 1

Far more difficult to categorise due to the use of wide players and the "in the hole" players who could be sid to be striking midfielders or wide players - in my head they are inside forwards or wingers. I would therfore put Bingham and Juanjo into the mix.

And it brings back memories of Rankin, Black, Cowie and Wilson in midfield being covered by Duncan - now was there ever a better midfield unit than that.

• Agree 1

Was Gil a striker, a midfielder, a winger? Y'see the guy could play anywhere and maintained his level of performance. That performance being crap or injured unfortunately.

For the #1 midfielder, it's difficult to see past Brian Kerr - remember how the stadium would reverberate to 'there's only one King Kerr' as he led what became known as 'Brian's Battlers' out to the glory of relegation?

Tudur-Jones has been near perfect. He's only really had one bad game in his whole time here. (and one good game and one injured game). It's unfortunate he got injured but who could have foreseen that? :ponder:

Dan Stratford has to be in there. It's the usual story. Plays for ICT one season, then is snapped by a club down south. Why oh why won't our board commit to long-term contracts? He must have missed Scotland though as he's back up here with Partick. Difficult to believe, but he's yet to play for the Jags. I know, I know... :shrug:

Halfway between a forward and a wide mid, the one and only Dougie Imrie. Who can forget the amount of times, Dougie would be cheered on by supportive fans, as he sprinted down the wing, to hoist in a near-perfect cross for the waiting strikers, just a few metres over the crossbar and on to the roof of a van in the car park. Sheer class, that boy.

• Agree 2

And it brings back memories of Rankin, Black, Cowie and Wilson in midfield being covered by Duncan - now was there ever a better midfield unit than that.

Greeny.

And then there was Lionel Djebi Zadi who could have been the best of all midfielders or strikers but was too good a left back to move. And what about the effervescent Eric Obdhiambo ? Oh the mammories of the greats are flooding back - sorry have to stop as I feel the early warning relapse signs of PTSD surfacing.

I would def have Bingham in the top 5, he was immense to get us promoted. He scored goals for fun that seaosn. Maybe he isn;t held in such high esteem for chasing a bigger contract elsewhere (Gretna from memory)

Very hard to make a top 5 list as we had so so many different styles of midfielder over the years. From the defensive based ones like russell duncan to the very attacking ones like barry wilson. I think this list should be more about the fans enjoyed watching them play football.My list would then be:

1. Wilson

2. Christie

3. Robson

4. Sheerin

5. Duncan