FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

REFS - Tony Pulis

Ronaldo

Yes, technology I agree with. But I can't see it coming to fruition while Blatter is in charge of FIFA.

I thought there already was a grading system for referees and that they could get downgraded if they get enough bad reports.

However football could learn a lot from rugby (both union and leaague) where the refs stand absolutely no back chat/ arguing etc. Maybe football could even try the sin bin approach. It seems to work in rugby and ice hockey.

Yes, technology I agree with. But I can't see it coming to fruition while Blatter is in charge of FIFA.

I thought there already was a grading system for referees and that they could get downgraded if they get enough bad reports.

However football could learn a lot from rugby (both union and leaague) where the refs stand absolutely no back chat/ arguing etc. Maybe football could even try the sin bin approach. It seems to work in rugby and ice hockey.

Never mind sin bins we've got yellow cards which add up to suspensions, if players are getting suspended a couple of times a season for back chatting the might learn from it. :yellowcard:

Never mind sin bins we've got yellow cards which add up to suspensions, if players are getting suspended a couple of times a season for back chatting the might learn from it. :yellowcard:

It seems like your saying the problem here is with the players back chatting. From what i've seen in recent weeks is that Refs CANNOT finish a match without making crucial mistakes, i don't think its got anything to do with the attitude of players towards refs.

I've been a linesman three times in amateur matches. The first one was , y'know, okay I guess, the second, I knew I got pretty much all (if not all) calls correct, the third was absolutely impossible. Two people go in for the ball and it skips out for a throw-in from a tangle of legs. Who touched it last? :shrug:

No surprise to me that refs get it wrong all the time. Split second decisions based on millimetres of accuracy, with players and managers claiming for decisions that they must know they shouldn't be getting.

Refs get too hard a deal for an impossible job. As long as they're not openly biased (and I don't think they are), let them get on with the job (preferably with technology) and stop whining.

It seems like your saying the problem here is with the players back chatting. From what i've seen in recent weeks is that Refs CANNOT finish a match without making crucial mistakes, i don't think its got anything to do with the attitude of players towards refs.

That is exactly what I'm saying, you're not related to Neil Lennon are you? Certainly Celtic minded. :tongueincheek:

That is exactly what I'm saying, you're not related to Neil Lennon are you? Certainly Celtic minded. :tongueincheek:

Not Celtic minded at all, just annoyed as everyone else when crucial errors are made during matches. I'm talking more about goals that should have been and offside decisions. Things that can be accurately decided through technology very much the same as Hawkeye at wimbledon. As for tackles etc, that can't be 100% proven even through video evidence so its always going to be hard to decide who is right and who is wrong.

I don't think the attitude of players is making the refs make poor decisions, These days we can look back on incidents and decide that the wrong decision was made and thats what puts the pressure onto the referees these days. They are making poor decisions because they are only human and in need of technology to assist.

Indeed, talk about trying to do something with one hand tied behind your back.

The crazy thing is they use technology to highlight the faults, but not to help, no logic at all. Why it is not used in this day and age to check if a ball has crossed the line, or an offside that leads to a goal, either given or not, is total madness.

Some other sports, or non football sports fans, must have a really good laugh about this subject, it's making football look very stupid indeed IMO.

Even with the help of technology, refs will still have a huge part to play.