News
    There is no UNITY without COMM-UNITY : Please sign the petition at change.org CLICK HERE ///---///\\\---\\\ JOIN the Supporters Trust : We need Supporter #TogetherNESS more than ever and to speak with one voice. Join the Trust today CLICK HERE ///---///\\\---\\\

team for motherwell

lukemackay

This idea of "well he's great in training" doesn't wash with me. I remember a few seasons ago, Charlie Christie raved about how good Rory McAllister was in training, and even other players (Richie Hart for example) coming out and saying that he was "going to set the SPL on fire". And then when it came to actual games he was rotten. The same goes for earlier in the season when Butcher said how Sutherland "was the man to replace Hayes and has all the attributes to be a good winger". And then it comes to games and Sutherland shows he has none of these "attributes" at all!

Since the Ross County game, Roberts has started every week and has shown very little. The times has now come for him to be out of the side. Is he injured? Is he fully fit? Is he bothered? If the first two are correct and I think they are, then surely he'd be better off the bench?

I've seen enough of Brislen-Hall (also former Arsenal youth) to suggest that he warrants a start over Roberts. He may be a "defender" (technically correct, but irrelevant in this case) but he is more of an attacking wing back. He has yet to make his full club debut, but I hope his time will come (remember his contract is up very soon). He's faster than Roberts, seems sharper than Roberts and much harder working than Roberts. His time should come.

Training and match attributes can differ markedly. The proof (individual performance, integrating in to the system and being a team player) is in the proverbial (points gained, entertainment and general satisfaction). As I have stated before I think that the lad has "massive" potential but is trying to play in a role in a system that doesnt suit him. Have to say that it is interesting to see so many advocating the return of Shane in to that position which to me demonstrates marked disappointment in Roberts.

What's more important? To keep on winning and becoming safe from relegation as soon a spossible --or pleasing Arsenal?

It seems to be a no-brainer but, true, life is rarely s simple as that.

Whatever--we will just have to leave it in Terry's hands to maybe make a call to London? Of course he may not agree with some of the comments about Roberts and has a hidden agenda.

Just have to wait and see what develops.

This idea of "well he's great in training" doesn't wash with me. I remember a few seasons ago, Charlie Christie raved about how good Rory McAllister was in training, and even other players (Richie Hart for example) coming out and saying that he was "going to set the SPL on fire". And then when it came to actual games he was rotten. The same goes for earlier in the season when Butcher said how Sutherland "was the man to replace Hayes and has all the attributes to be a good winger". And then it comes to games and Sutherland shows he has none of these "attributes" at all!

Since the Ross County game, Roberts has started every week and has shown very little. The times has now come for him to be out of the side. Is he injured? Is he fully fit? Is he bothered? If the first two are correct and I think they are, then surely he'd be better off the bench?

I've seen enough of Brislen-Hall (also former Arsenal youth) to suggest that he warrants a start over Roberts. He may be a "defender" (technically correct, but irrelevant in this case) but he is more of an attacking wing back. He has yet to make his full club debut, but I hope his time will come (remember his contract is up very soon). He's faster than Roberts, seems sharper than Roberts and much harder working than Roberts. His time should come.

You say in one breath that what players do in training doesn't count for anything....then in the next you make a case for a player who has yet to make his debut and who's performance you rank as being clearly better based on nothing more than what you have seen in what is effectively training games.

How does that work?

Incorrect. I did not say "training doesn't count for anything", I said that you can grasp a lot more about players in a competitive full side set up. That's not saying that because a player is great in an U20 game means he'll be great in the first team (see Rory McAllister's goal scoring exploits at that level), but you can grasp aspects of players in ways that you could see benefitting the first team. These are games that are played in a competitive league against opposition teams, with players they've never seen or played against before. These are not "training games" at all. Both teams are trying to win and from all the ones I have been to have been fairly competitive affairs. More can be gauged from these games than from playing against teammates and plastic cones.

Calling it a training game is like diminishing Andrew Shinnie's Scotland call up by saying "ach, it's only Luxembourg and it's only friendly. Nothing more than a training game". But it isn't though is it?

I have seen every game Roberts has ever played for ICT live bar one (the Dundee game where I watched the full 90 minutes on Alba) and have seen a good chunk of Brislen-Hall in these U20 games. Brislen-Hall seems fitter than Roberts, faster than Roberts, more dangerous going forward than Roberts and certainly harder working than Roberts. He deserves a chance.

Edited by Renegade

I take it Draper is still out?

If so then

-------------------------------------Reguero-------------------------------------

----Raven---------Meekings----------------Warren--------ShinnieG------

---------------------Tudor-Jones------------Foran--------------------------

-------Doran-----------------ShinnieA---------------Sutherland-----------

---------------------------------McKay------------------------------------------

If Draper is fit then I'd play him alongside OTJ and push Foran up to the left hand side of the '3' in place of Sutherland.

This. I'd like to see Conor Pepper brought on tomorrow too.