FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

draganict

Should fans of ICT start planning to take a share of the club?

Throughout Europe fans are investing in their own clubs and taking an active boardroom role in the strategy and direction of their football clubs. Although ICT are run with a good degree of financial governance is it worth exploring into how the club can kick on?

Our club Inverness Thistle and Caledonian Limited had a net worth in April 2012 of minus £59k, Assets of £737k, Cash in Hand of £154k and liabilities of £1015k. Not a bad situation really.

I have not studied the figures closely yet but it is obvious that gate income will not be significant for the next 10-20 years or so until certain things happen to change the mindset of various sections of the Inverness-shire population.

Could we persuade 2000 supporters throughout the world to put up £200 per annum which could boost investment in the club whilst gradually acquiring a stake in the club? I think that this would be a good way of maintaining our sustainability for long term success. I have spoken to certain overseas contact with Inverness-shire roots and there was a real wiliingness to invest. Most fans going to the game yesterday probably spent well in excess of £100.

An initial financial revenue increase of £400k per annum would be a welcome boost for the club and I am sure this could be gradually grown.

Anyone interested in looking into a Member's Model and/or has this been discussed at the Together meetings?

Edited by draganict

The fans already have a shareholding in ICT. Many individual fans purchased shares. The supporters trust holds shares. Although your idea seems a good one I think it would be a struggle to get 2000 to put up that kind of money. We already have a sponsorship system whereby fans can sponsor players kit. There are many gaps there waiting to be filled. We struggle to sell much more than 2000 season tickets and people are constantly complaining about cost of the game. Where would your 2000 come from?

Bear in mind that we are a PLC and that the majority of the shares are already owned by a few individuals. How would this scheme gain enough of a stake to get an active boardroom role. Funds would need to be raised to buy out some of the shareholding. Those funds would go to the sellers and not the business.

There are various models out there particularly on the continent. I have been looking at the subject and various business friends with Highland roots have expressed interest in putting their hands into their pockets to back the club.

Nothing too serious yet but some of the models in Europe are fascinating including some of the very large clubs.

We're doing well to get 2000 odd to buy season tickets. No chance you'd get 2000 tp put up £200 extra. But as Alex says there are plenty of ways to put extra cash into the club if folk wish to.

Plus I think that ICT is running pretty well under Kenny.

When I strike it rich in the IT game I'm going to buy the club outright and spend decades running the thing like my own personal plaything, in the style of Jesus Gil, former chairman of Atletico Madrid.

You should also change your name to Jesus, just to emphasise your omnipotence.

When I strike it rich in the IT game I'm going to buy the club outright and spend decades running the thing like my own personal plaything, in the style of Jesus Gil, former chairman of Atletico Madrid.

Good idea.  You can be my first managerial appointment, I'll give you 37 minutes of the first half of a North of Scotland cup tie.

• Agree 2

The ICT Supporters Society Ltd (aka Caley Jags Together) hold a 10% non-dilutable voting right + 10,000 shares.  As you're up to speed on the business (ICT), then you will already appreciate the rights that affords them.

Perhaps the best thing would be for the people you've been speaking with to touch base with the Supporters Society with a view to building on that and the existing relationship that exists between them and the club.

• Agree 2

We're doing well to get 2000 odd to buy season tickets. No chance you'd get 2000 tp put up £200 extra. But as Alex says there are plenty of ways to put extra cash into the club if folk wish to.

Plus I think that ICT is running pretty well under Kenny.

I think the club is doing incredibly well under Kenny.  My immediate question is - Could ex-pats with highland roots throughout the globe give the club a boost by assisting people like Kenny? Do not think for a minute that I would work against the club in any way.

My main point is that their are many reasonably well off non-season ticket holders across the globe who may or may not be willing contribute to the well being of our club. I know that there are people in Oz, NZ, Canada, SA, UAE,USA who follow us regularly through live streams etc 

Jesus Chris ... we're onto something!