The Team going forward...

Council Juice

Just thought over the next few games, with a few people complaining about a lack of creativity and players willing to make forward runs with the ball the tactics could be tweaked a little...

I thought maybe go with

- Brill -

- Raven - Meekings - Warren - Tremarco -

- Draper -

- Doran/Watkins - Foran - Vincent/Tansey/Ross/Christie - Shinnie

- Mckay-

I know I know, people aren't too favourable off the 4-1-4-1 but I think thats more to do with the players selected than the formation. If Shinnie was able to do the running forward with the ball, from either wing, that we have seen him do from the full back position he could be a useful wide man. He's also quite willing to shoot when given the opportunity and I think this might solve this.

Alternatively we stick with the 4-2-3-1 and keep him in the 3 along with young Christie, Doran or Watkins, even Williams. And play Foran OR Tansey beside Draper.

Either way, playing Tremarco along with our other usual back 3 might give us more defensive solidity. With the added bonus of Shinnie covering back.

I'm more convinced that Foran is more suited to playing as a deep sitting midfielder now though. Someone else has to become the boy knocking headers down for Mckay to snap up. Watkins has the height.

Anyone else have any insights over tactics? Not that it matters, but what would people like to see?

Brill

Raven  Meekings Devine Tremarco

Vincent/Draper

Doran                                    Shinnie     

Ross/Foran    Christie

McKay

I would love to see Shinnie playing further up the pitch. He has great pace and can take people on. Christie has so much potential and needs to be given a game from the start to show what he can do. i think an attacking 5 of Doran, Ross, Christie, Shinnie and Mckay could have defences running scared. There is so much talent and pace there, the potential is frightening

Edited by Doofer
  • Agree 2

Update on suspensions from SFA website:

CARL PHILIP TREMARCO (INVERNESS CT F.C.) 1 SPFL FIRST TEAM MATCH FROM 26/03/2014

RICHARD FORAN (INVERNESS CT F.C.) 1 SPFL FIRST TEAM MATCH FROM 02/04/2014

Looks like Carl Tremarco will miss the Dundee United game and Richie Foran the Ross County match.

I won't pick out an individual team as it depends who we're playing / injuries and the rest.  What I would say is it's 2 from Draper, Foran and Tansey in a 4-2-3-1.  Vincent could be the link man but he's not recovered from injury yet.  I'd really like to see Marley in there.  Think he could be a relevation, causing a host of problems and a few goals.

We should use subs more wisely.  Just imagine, say, Ross and Doran on for 60 mins, then we bring on Greenhalgh and Willams 10 mins apart.  That would rip apart the tired defenders.  Good quick breaking players, happy to get more of a run out.

I think we are suffering at the moment from trying to fit Draper, Vincent, Foran and Tansey into the side and this is skewing the system being played. This is not being helped by losing goals leading us to be more defensive than previously, however the Partick game showed the need to be pressing high up the park and also being able to have outlets once we have regained possession.

In the first half we were too deep and when we got the ball Billy was so isolated that we immediately conceded possession. This allowed Partick to commit even more players forward and hence why it looked like the had more players on the pitch than us at moments.

If we assume that our two deeper midfielders are Richie and Draper (though Richie has been poor the past couple of games!) then we need natural wide players and not Vincent who looks out of sorts when wide but a different player when he comes off the wing. A fit Doran picks himself (I would look to have him on the right side where he is more consistent) and on the left I would go for Ross (though his best position is in the hole behind Billy) or Williams (who needs to have more confidence in the attacking side). Christie is obviously one for the future (though again he can play in the hole.

This then leaves a decision on the advance midfielder in the hole behind Billy, with a call between Nick, Tansey, Vincent or Christie, At the moment I would look to Tansey or if Williams played wide left it is a call between Nick or Tansey. Ross is our best player at linking the game together but Tansey offers potentially more in terms of goals / shooting.

Polworth is sitting in the wings for future seasons and his best position is in the deeper midfield positions. He is probably our best passer of the ball and offers more for set pieces (crossing more than shooting) and is good under pressure. He does not have the physical pressence of Draper and Foran though.

In my view if Watkins is to push into the starting line up he has to start offering an end product to his game.

This, in my opinion, is our strongest XI

Brill

Raven   Meekings   Warren   Shinnie

Draper   Foran

Doran             Tansey        Watkins

Mckay

• Agree 1

This, in my opinion, is our strongest XI

Brill

Raven   Meekings   Warren   Shinnie

Draper   Foran

Doran             Tansey        Watkins

Mckay

I agree with this, however would like to see Shinnie playing in an advanced position. Give it a go. You could also swap Foran for Tansey and put Ross or Christie in the hole.

To OP. If you're unable to choose the individuals that fit into your formation then there's no hope for success.

I'd go old fashioned 4-4-2

Brill

Raven Meekings Warren Shinnie

Doran Draper Foran Ross

Christie Mckay

That statement could easily apply to many formations, but I did give many player options. Obviously if Tremarco is unavailable Shinnie would play left back and someone else Attacking Mid Left. But all formations are subject to personnel change and I think the 4-2-3-1/4-1-2-2w-1 or 4-3-2-1 can adapt to this comfortably.

4-4-2 only really works for exceptionally gifted teams (ie Man City) whereby class overwrites the inflexiblity of the formation,

I'd be inclined to agree. Foran doesn't really have the legs as a forward any more either, but he is very good for knock downs etc, something which benefits Mckay.

So it's to who you play alongside Draper as the midfielders, I'd say Tansey is the better passer/shooter, but Foran gets that extra 10% out of his team mates as a leader.