FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

THE MYSTERY THAT IS ELGIN

CELTIC1CALEY3

Does anyone have a theory why Elgin have been so poor in the Scottish League? They seem to enjoy occupying the low spots in the leagues whilst all other recent Highland League sides have been fairly successful to say the least.

MONEY - or should I say the LACK of it!

Also, location and timing. Ross County and ICT were already established teams when Elgin came in. Had it been ICT and Elgin, they would have been much further ahead. Likewise, there was no reason why Meadowbank Thistle couldn't have been SPL material, except that Hearts, Hibs and junior teams had been ploughing that furrow for years.

Also, what's Elgin's base? It's not the Capital of the Highlands and surrounds, which have two teams already. Whilst footballers from the north-east would probably prefer Aberdeen and, if they're not that level, then Peterhead is a commute away. Elgin? Just a few small towns around the local area. Not very commutable from Aberdeen or Inverness for a part-time player.

I dont think theyve been a very happy ship for quite a few years now. I dont think theyre board get on all that well with each other and that goes back a few years. Remember when they were done for Teasdale cheating his way to the title. I think that almost tore them apart and theyve also had a lot of hassel about people taking over or not since then.