Financial windfall from Celtic making last 16

Alex MacLeod

They're wrong. I think they were suggesting that we get a share of the "market pool" which actually goes solely to Celtic.  What we do get however is a share of  £1.5 million (presumably 135k) which is paid at the end of the season as a "solidarity payment" to the SPL. Still not bad though but even if Celtic progress further in the competition nothing is added to that amount. It's actually for Celtic reaching the group stages and not the last 16. It's explained in these articles:

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/champions-league-revenue-final.html

http://sport.stv.tv/football/204469-no-extra-uefa-cash-boost-for-spl-clubs-despite-celtics-progression/

Edited by Guest

That one doesn't work either. But to save anyone looking the article up, it confirms exactly what PumpFake says above, ie we do not get anything extra for Celtic reaching the last 16.

I must be getting a cached page. An extra 6 figure sum in the summer.

The SPL's solidarity payments rose from £500,000 to £1.5million when Celtic reached the group stages but that is as far as it will go.

The money will be distributed equally among the other 11 clubs but will not be paid out until next summer, possibly as late as September.

Och well - congratulations to Cellic then and we hope yas get feckin Barcelona in the last 16 !!

Unfortunately that's impossible, as you can't get the team from your group. But one of the German teams should do as well. Though I'd hope they get through to the last 8 as this would mean two extra games, considering their after-CL weekend form...

Och well - congratulations to Cellic then and we hope yas get feckin Barcelona in the last 16 !!

Unfortunately that's impossible, as you can't get the team from your group. But one of the German teams should do as well. Though I'd hope they get through to the last 8 as this would mean two extra games, considering their after-CL weekend form...

From BBC

Celtic could face Manchester United, Malaga, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Schalke or PSG in the next stage of the tournament.

I wouldn't call it "extra" because we were getting it anyway!

I wouldn't call it "extra" because we were getting it anyway!

I often get that "Talking to myself" feeling as well.

There's an "extra" £1MM in the pot for reaching the knock out stages.