FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Contract talks

DundeeICT

I trust Butcher on this one, he knows what's available and at what price. It would be a shame to see him go but as with all players there comes a time when they move on. Maybe he'll get a new improved contract offer when he starts banging the goals in again and we finish top of the league? I dare say CL money would come in handy. :happy:

Without having access to the full article (and I refuse to pay 60p for the privilege) then it's impossible to tell if there's any substance to the story or if it's just a bored journalist making something from nothing in order to fill some column inches.

• Agree 1

Lets face it - at this stage of the season and his career (and agent) a deal will be well in process by now. I suspect that two considerations that most of our squad who have the potential to move higher would be the future of TB and where we end up at the end of the season.

Lets face it. We cant hold on to our best players forever. If we have done all we can do to try and keep him then so be it, life without Hayes hasnt been so bad we will move on and get someone else. He has the potential to play at a really high level and he has shown what he is capable of during his time here.

If he stays then that would be fantastic but at the end of the day he's a young player with high aspirations, he's gonna want to challenge himself at a better level...though it has been a season so far of bucking trends, there is still time to sort something out.

If he is to go at the end of the season my only hope is that it isnt purely based on money and that he gives his all for the club as we've got a chance to make a bit of history for the club this season...nothing better than going out on a high.

• Agree 1

he has had plenty of poor games this season aswell as the match winning ones.

might be best for him to sign the best deal he possibly can with anybody.  ive said it before but with the league being so tight, we're only a couple of points away from the whole campaign taking on a very a different complectionm.  we arent points clear into seocnd by a long shot and only a poor 90 minutes or a goalkeeping howler from being nowhere in the cups.

if we have 2/3 bad games in a row, if we play celtic in the league cup final (fingers crossed) and get cuffed 4-0, if killie knock us out of the scottish cup... then suddenly the chat on here about "MIRACLES" etc will explode into a puff of mediocrity and the asking price for our players will correct themselves in line with the overview of the season.  the likes of shinnie could be seriously out of pocket if he waits until the summer to see what we can come up with.

everything is on a knife edge right now, a memorable season is still on the cards, its just the margin for error is minimal.  if there is a contract offer from aberdeen or anybody else for shinnie, knocking back any offer worth more than we can give him is a MASSIVE gamble.  he'd be risking about 100k over 2 years on one or two games going our way this year and the hope he can get a bit more in the summer, which is insane.

put me in his shoes and its a no brainer, get the pre-contract signed.

id expect nothing but 100% commitment from him for the rest of the season regardless of his decision, as would his current team mates, manager and future employers.

• Agree 2

Agree with a lot of what Clacher says but I dont see Aberdeen as being a step up. I think Shinnie has to go to Championship or Celtic for that. All the teams, outside of Celtic, this season are very much on a par with each other. The Aberdeens and Dundee Uniteds are cutting back drastically on spending. The others are struggling to balance the books. AS may get offered a little more to move to Aberdeen but will he get what he could get come the end of May if he's part of a cup winning, Euro challenging team. Also, perhaps we could offer better than Aberdeen when we confirm the £2.4m prize money for being second + the million, or whatever it is, for competing in Europe.

Winning and challenging would represent a step up. If it's only more money that inspires someone, it's a wasted career.

No doubt those that want Shinnie to go to an English club are also the ones bemoaning the lack of talent in Scottish football. Can't have it both ways.

Agree with a lot of what Clacher says but I dont see Aberdeen as being a step up. I think Shinnie has to go to Championship or Celtic for that. All the teams, outside of Celtic, this season are very much on a par with each other. The Aberdeens and Dundee Uniteds are cutting back drastically on spending. The others are struggling to balance the books. AS may get offered a little more to move to Aberdeen but will he get what he could get come the end of May if he's part of a cup winning, Euro challenging team. Also, perhaps we could offer better than Aberdeen when we confirm the £2.4m prize money for being second + the million, or whatever it is, for competing in Europe.

Thats the flip side to what I said could happen. 

If we have a poor run and end up in 4th, out at the semi final of the League Cup and out of the Scottish Cup before the semis. the big offer from England/Celtic/Rangers may not materialise at all.  Shinnie would be out of pocket to the tune of around 100k+ over a 2 year contract if he was given no real choice but to stay with us.

NOT signing an improved deal with another club has to be too big a risk for Shinnie to take, no matter if its St Johnston or Albion Rovers.  He'll be turning 24 at the start of next season, hes got potentially 6 or 7 high earning years left in him and needs to make the most of it, he could break his leg again and be KO'd from ever doing anything but setting up cones for a living.

If he was 18 then I'd say staying for a better deal might be a gamble worth taking, if the assumption is that continued good form here would lead to a better offer elsewhere, he would have time on his side..

I guess you could argue that if we do go on to have a lackluster end to the season then he doesnt deserve any more money (along with the rest) for a job half done.

How memorable a year did Kilmanrock have last year?  How many of their players made massive moves south of the border?  They won the League Cup against Celtic no less, which we would consider a massive success, I can only think of Shiels going to Rangers and Liam Kelly going to Bristol City (which only happened last week).

Theres no guarantee that any offer will come in for any of our players if we do well , anything Shinnie gets offered just now he has to snap up while his stocks high.  For me theres little to be gained by his stock going up on the back of a good season with us and there will always be a contract with ICT to fall back on if he does end the season in poor form.  There is no real downside to him accepting a pre-contract or not, he just obviously has to take the very best deal thats offered to him while his reputation is so high.

Butcher has now confirmed that Shinnie hasn't accepted our contract offer. “We have reached an impasse with Andrew. He has all the cards so we will wait and see what he does with them. The ball is in his court."

Oh well. Next!