Expanding SPL

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

Who on this forum along with me agrees that SPL should be 14 or 16 team league?

I say this because it would cut out teams having to play each other 4 times as it can be boring going to same places over and over again and also i agree that these teams could do well in SPL due to the fact most have been there.

Us, Dundee, Partick and Dunfermline up i say.

I say this because it would cut out teams having to play each other 4 times as it can be boring going to same places over and over again and also i agree that these teams could do well in SPL due to the fact most have been there.

It will never happen. Rangers Celtic wouldn't play each other as much.

It will never happen. Rangers Celtic wouldn't play each other as much.

It needs to happen. Scottish football will die if something is not changed soon.

It would be good for both the top, and the lower half of the table. There would be more competition which would make the league much more interesting. There would half to be a play-off of some sort, to select the teams for the SFL which would join.

2 divisions of 16. Lose the likes of Albion Rovers, Stenhousemuir etc etc. They're leftovers from a bygone age when the population was structured differently. Now, they serve no professional or community interest as there are both bigger teams and junior clubs close by. All they do is hold clubs down.

Teams such as Stranraer, Berwick, QoS might never hit the top but they serve a community (although I believe Berwick do it very badly, so maybe need an overhaul in the SW).

The latest rumour on this subject is that a full revamp of all leagues in Scotland is being looked at and an invitation may be issued to some teams in the Irish top league to come and join us.

The latest rumour on this subject is that a full revamp of all leagues in Scotland is being looked at and an invitation may be issued to some teams in the Irish top league to come and join us.

Away games in Ireland would be brilliant.

The Scottish leagues should be set up the way i have been saying for years. heres an example;

Scottish Premiership(*20 teams, playing twice, 4 down{put your 6,000 seats + undersoil heating})

Aberdeen

Celtic

Cowdenbeath

Dundee

Dundee United

Dunfermline Athletic

Falkirk

Hamilton Academical

Heart of Midlothian

Hibernian

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Kilmarnock

Motherwell

Partick Thistle

Queen of the South

Raith Rovers

Rangers

Ross County

St. Johnstone

St. Mirren

Scottish Division 1(20 teams, playing twice, 3 up, 1 playoff spot, 4 down{say atleast 2,500 seats})

Airdrie United

Ayr United

Alloa Athletic

Arbroath

Brechin City

Clyde

Dumbarton

East Fife

Greenock Morton

Peterhead

Stranraer

Stirling Albion

Albion Rovers

Annan Athletic

Berwick Rangers

East Stirlingshire

Queen's Park

Forfar Athletic

Livingston

Montrose

Scottish League Conference(20 teams, playing twice, 3 up, 1 playoff, regional relegation)

Elgin City

Stenhousemuir

Brora Rangers

Buckie Thistle

Clachnacuddin

Cove Rangers

Deveronvale

Formartine United

Forres Mechanics

Fort William

Fraserburgh

Huntly

Inverurie Loco Works

Keith

Lossiemouth

Nairn County

Rothes

Strathspey Thistle

Turriff United

Wick Academy

Scottish Regional Conferences(north/south, depends on final positions in conference)

(teams deleted as it was a bit too long)

Possibly include the junior divisions down here somewhere if they want to be included aswell as amateur. Ideally the set up is that you can create a team and work your up to the top flight of scottish football wihtout any stupid vote.

* - i originally wanted an 18 team premiership but i miscounted and put 20 in by accident)

Edited by caleykid1994

I think that membership in the SPL shopuld be confined to football teams with the longest names.

This would ensure that ICT would be elected in perpetuity since I think they currently have the most letters in their name in Scottish Football.

Don't believe me? Then look at the lists above again.

Choking, er joking, aside Mahonio put it very well in the first post and I cannot top that.

It must be 16 in the SPL IMHO. :blink: