Togo BANNED

WYNESS101

"Togo have been banned from the next two Africa Cup of Nations following their withdrawal from this year's tournament"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8489127.stm

Thoughts?

Scandellous. There team bus is ambushed.Three staff killed so they decide to pull out thus disqaullifing them from the next two tournements. not on :lol:

Complete farce and pretty tasteless. Prior to this development Togo stated that they wanted to stay in the competition, however the lack of support saw them withdraw. Perhaps this is CAF reacting to that.

I've said before that the organisations in African football are a joke and this proves it beyond any doubt. I agree with the above notion that Togo should withdraw from the tournament. The only problem being is that the qualifiers are also the qualifiers for the world cup. So will they be allowed take place in the qualifiers for it then not go, but be allowed to the World Cup?

I honestly dont have a clue how anyone could come to a decision like this. Beyond baffling. Its just a sport despite what that **** of a Liverpool manager said. Its not that important and the events which involved Togo happen it just shows that its pretty meaningless.

Maybe the CAF are annoyed that Togo went and got all shot up, thus taking all the attention away from their showpiece. It would not suprise me.

Correct decision. National FAs have to be free of governmental interference.

Can't agree with you there. Governments have a right to expect that their sportsmen will be safe and protected when guests in another country. They wern't safe so they were called home. Quite right.

Thats is true but CAF will just be looking at the fact that the president of the country overruled the FA and the players.

Correct decision. National FAs have to be free of governmental interference.

Can't agree with you there. Governments have a right to expect that their sportsmen will be safe and protected when guests in another country. They wern't safe so they were called home. Quite right.

Thats is true but CAF will just be looking at the fact that the president of the country overruled the FA and the players.

For good reason i would have thought though. Reasons given were alot to do with the lack of support from CAF. I think they feel embarrassed so are coming down with an iron fist.

And its not exactly the FA's fault or the players, or the fans more importantly. What did they do wrong?

"Eh ere's what it is pal. Your Government isnae lettin ya play cos yis got aw shots up ken and we dinae like it but we cannae dae hee haw tae them sa we're gonna take it oot yiz instead!"

Correct decision. National FAs have to be free of governmental interference. Togo broke the rules as the players said they wanted to play and the Togonianaian government forced them to go back to Togo.

Or as one confused radio reporter said at the time, back to Tonga.