FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Where's the fecking optimism?

Harry Chibber

I'm not quite a believer... I have already called for Butcher's head once or twice this season. At Christmas I was more concerned that we were looking down the table rather than upward, it seemed that Butcher was set to leave at the end of the season anyway and the team looked a complete and utter mess.

Now time for some Rafa Benitez syle "phacts":

phact 1, We are 3 points from the league leaders

phact 2, We have the best away record in the division

phact 3, We have the top goal scorer in the division

phact 4, We are the form team in the division

phact 5, Butcher & Malpas have signed on for next season no matter what

phact 6, We have started signing up players (although some senior players would be nice)

phact 7, Dundee aren't the world beaters we once thought they were

phact 8, We haven't been beaten at home this year

phact 9, We have Jonny Hayes

phact 10, None of this matters if we get beat on Saturday :rolleyes:

Kidding.... even if the worst happens there is still plenty to play for so I hope everyone realises it's never over until it's over.

It seems to be doom and gloom on this forum but this is most positive I've felt about ICT in a long time.. we need to show some support for the team and Butcher even if they are performing as we'd like on the park or Butcher's making one or 2 more changes than you think he should be.

... and after saying all that am I hypocrite for not coming this Saturday?

Excellent post, sums up the mood I have now also.

Not a hypocrite dude just a big yellow chicken but it's okay we all have fears and we all know how hard it is to face them, there is no harm in being a scaredy cat, no disgrace in running from your phobias, you just enjoy the commentary from behind your seat with your nails in your mouth being bitten to the quick and think about all the sore heads that we will be suffering from on Sunday morning.

Here's some fecking optimism for you....

I'm going to stick my neck out and predict a 3-1 win for us on Saturday, with goals from Rooney and Odhiambo.

This will be another of these performances which saw us completely outplay Motherwell and Dundee in recent weeks.

Several have slated our performance on Saturday..... It wasn't all that bad. Morton had one thought in mind and that was not to conceed any goals. On the day their defenders played very well, and did succeed in making life very difficult for us. Let's face it, the game had 0-0 written all over it, until Nick Ross's superb piece of opportunism in the 65th minute.....

:rolleyes:

agree with Harry and Revbirdog. i think in my case I dont quite dare to believe yet. Its like if I start believing it will all go wrong. Just enjoying my football so much lately - think the 1st div is much more exciting than the SPL- even after winning ugly on sat.

Edited by old caley girl

I'm hoping RC have one eye on their cup replay on Saturday and give us the chance to grab three points. However, after watching the highlights of their performance at Easter Road it isn't going to be easy. A win at RC would certainly go some way to increasing the optimism.

When you speak to people, it seems to be very much a case of being scared to get carried away. That's probably in part down to what happened last season and also the fact that when it comes to ICT there's a general feeling that we (the fans) don't feel able to trust them not to screw it up. People are scared to be too optimistic, scared of getting carried away...and that's just a product of where we are as a whole at the moment. The team are getting it right (for the most part) on the pitch, but feelings are being tempered by what's (not) been happening off it.

I think the optimism is there and I think we saw a bit of that on Saturday because despite the turgid football on display the fans remained very much behind the team for the full 90+ minutes and their was little evidence of them turning against the team as might have happened not so long ago.

I don't think the forum is all doom and gloom, but we do have a small handful of people who feel the need to try and p*ss on any signs of optimism shown by others by posting the same thing over and over again on every thread and after every second post....ignore these people and the arguments they generate, and the forum takes on a whole new light.

Yeah, cautiously optimistic about the rest of the season but cant help looking for the sting in the tail ...... I think after the lows of relegation last season it is hard (but not impossible) to believe we will be one of only two or three teams to bounce back at the first attempt and that may be the thing that is stopping many of us from believing there wont be some disappointment to come.

Having said that, the optimism has grown in recent weeks as we have ground out some decent results and things have started to go our way ..... It is indeed getting to the nailbiter stage as Birdog mentioned and if we can keep grinding results - even ugly ones - then it will be a case of who has more bottle as the run-in continues. Definitely more exciting than SPL though .... just wish we had radio commentary !

Yeah, cautiously optimistic about the rest of the season but cant help looking for the sting in the tail ...... I think after the lows of relegation last season it is hard (but not impossible) to believe we will be one of only two or three teams to bounce back at the first attempt and that may be the thing that is stopping many of us from believing there wont be some disappointment to come.

Having said that, the optimism has grown in recent weeks as we have ground out some decent results and things have started to go our way ..... It is indeed getting to the nailbiter stage as Birdog mentioned and if we can keep grinding results - even ugly ones - then it will be a case of who has more bottle as the run-in continues. Definitely more exciting than SPL though .... just wish we had radio commentary !

Thats it in a nutshell really, we are looking at winning this league, and its been a few years since we looked upon ICT as possible champions, the ultra tight lower half of the SPL was not enjoyable viewing thats for sure.

Roll on saturday, if we lose, there's still a way to go, but the players are going to be up and ready thats for sure and will keep on trying.

I can't see our players taking the same approach to this game in comparison to the last games against county. I think most people believed it was just a case of turning up and picking up the 3 points. County are worthy adversaries but we'll win it.

I'm not quite a believer... I have already called for Butcher's head once or twice this season. At Christmas I was more concerned that we were looking down the table rather than upward, it seemed that Butcher was set to leave at the end of the season anyway and the team looked a complete and utter mess.

Now time for some Rafa Benitez syle "phacts":

phact 1, We are 3 points from the league leaders

phact 2, We have the best away record in the division

phact 3, We have the top goal scorer in the division

phact 4, We are the form team in the division

phact 5, Butcher & Malpas have signed on for next season no matter what

phact 6, We have started signing up players (although some senior players would be nice)

phact 7, Dundee aren't the world beaters we once thought they were

phact 8, We haven't been beaten at home this year

phact 9, We have Jonny Hayes

phact 10, None of this matters if we get beat on Saturday :024:

Kidding.... even if the worst happens there is still plenty to play for so I hope everyone realises it's never over until it's over.

It seems to be doom and gloom on this forum but this is most positive I've felt about ICT in a long time.. we need to show some support for the team and Butcher even if they are performing as we'd like on the park or Butcher's making one or 2 more changes than you think he should be.

... and after saying all that am I hypocrite for not coming this Saturday?

Great post Harry - but after reading you saying you'd only seen us win once this season and that you'd been to both previous County games, maybe it's for the best you aren't coming...

I'm a wee bit concerned about Foran being out, but I do think Butcher has done a very good job in the past few months. If you're looking for a more positive statistic, Victoria Park is the only away ground I haven't been to this season, and I've seen us a get at least a point at all the others apart from Firhill (where I did see us win in the Challenge Cup, and where I'll see us get three points on the 27th!) Can't wait for Saturday.

I feel sorry for those who are not letting the optimism in for fear of being let down, it looked like our season was finished at Christmas time but now we are playing for something, so what if we don't get promoted I have a feeling back that has been lacking for such a long time. I am enjoying football, I would hate to still be in the frame of mind that I could come home after a result which took us within three points of the top and felt I had to go online to slate the team's performance. I am delighted I have regained the ability to look at the table and smile. We had less of a chance at this stage the season we actually won this thing and there was so much more positivity then. It's about time that Robbo got back on here and told everyone to start believing again, he touched on our prospects during his after match summary on the radio on Saturday saying something along the lines of "it could be the sign of champions to grab a win when they are playing badly" an attitude we could all do with adopting in the run in. Let's start believing again.

Edited by Revbirdog

Sorry if i'm raining on all the optimist's parade

I hate to say it but i have a feeling our unbeaten run will end on Saturday ( Well its going to end one day )

Ross County are the team to do it & from what ive seen they look a much fitter more up for it team !

I hear Sanchez is injured & Forans out :(

If ICT play like they did on Saturday we'll get humped :rolleyes: why cant they keep the ball on the deck ???

Come on ICT please prove me wrong !!

I hate to say it but i have a feeling our unbeaten run will end on Saturday ( Well its going to end one day )

Ross County are the team to do it & from what ive seen they look a much fitter more up for it team !

If ICT play like they did on Saturday we'll get humped :angry: why cant they keep the ball on the deck ???

Has to be said mate, if we play like we did against Queens, we're in with a real chance especially as C*unty will have one eye on their cup match. And, as we all know if you're from dingwall you've only got one eye, right in the middle of your forehead. Believe.

So far this thread is sounding exactly like the previous threads in the lead up to games against Ross County this season...

More like before the game against Falkirk last season

I would ask you keep your cynicism to yourself though.. this thread is all about the positives and at the moment we have plenty

Enjoy them.. they might not last :angry:

If ICT play like they did on Saturday we'll get humped :angry: why cant they keep the ball on the deck ???

Has to be said mate, if we play like we did against Queens, we're in with a real chance especially as C*unty will have one eye on their cup match. And, as we all know if you're from dingwall you've only got one eye, right in the middle of your forehead. Believe.

post-2078-1268748590.jpg I dont think i'll bother on Saturday :(

Just spent 15 mins writing down how i think the top 5 teams results will go. Ended up with the following

ICT 68 pts

Dundee 65 pts

RCounty 62 pts

Dunfermline 61 pts

QOS 61 pts

ICT have enough home games plus two winnable away games (est 7 dropped pts out of 30 possible)

Dundee have too many tough away games, they are going to drop many points. (16 out of 33 dropped)

RCounty 5 games on the trot with top 5 teams (2 away) plus hibs then away games - out of steam (16 out of 36 dropped)

Dunfermline will come on very strong, will help ICT, but too late for them (9 points out of 30 dropped)

QOS lots of away games, but will help ICT at home against top 5 (14 out of 36 dropped)

ICT lose away to Ross County, draw away to PT, draw away to QOS, but win the rest, taking the SPL title on the last day with a win against Dundee.

I believe!

Edited by Kirishima

ICT lose away to Ross County, draw away to PT, draw away to QOS, but win the rest, taking the SPL title on the last day with a win against Dundee.

I believe!

That would be an achievement which would surely earn TB a sainthood.

I believe!

That would be an achievement which would surely earn TB a sainthood.

Well he'd better get his sunday best out as if we can win the home games, which is very possible, plus grab a couple of away wins at Mordor and Air then draws away to Plastic and Queens then St Terry will be born.

Just spent 15 mins writing down how i think the top 5 teams results will go. Ended up with the following

ICT 68 pts

Dundee 65 pts

RCounty 62 pts

Dunfermline 61 pts

QOS 61 pts

ICT have enough home games plus two winnable away games (est 7 dropped pts out of 30 possible)

Dundee have too many tough away games, they are going to drop many points. (16 out of 33 dropped)

RCounty 5 games on the trot with top 5 teams (2 away) plus hibs then away games - out of steam (16 out of 36 dropped)

Dunfermline will come on very strong, will help ICT, but too late for them (9 points out of 30 dropped)

QOS lots of away games, but will help ICT at home against top 5 (14 out of 36 dropped)

I believe!

When you put it like that it makes me feel wonderful :angry: :( :(