Laser Eye Surgery

Pele_Is_God

You're not going to that place in Edinburgh are you?

My mate went there but there was some sort of mix up with the foreign surgeon and instead of lasering the cornea they actually removed both his eyeballs and sold them on the black market. Apart from that, he said the service was very good and he even got a partial refund, so he was pretty chuffed. And it hasn't even harmed his career as an SPL linesman.

Let us know how you got on.

I don't know how old you are but if you have it done at all you are taking a big risk.

I am also assuming that you are referring to the "Lasik" surgery where the front of the cornea is excised or trimmed so that you don't have to wear glasses afterwards. You should read up on it online and you will find that it does carry serious risks. I would never have it done and I advised my 32 year-old stepson not to have it done.When he read what I had found online about this procedure he turned away from it.

You simply cannot trust Doctors who are profitting handsomely from these procedures to tell you the truth but some are bold enough to at least state the risks clearly online.

It could turn out that the results obtained, if apparently good,last only a relatively short time and you would then be faced with another similar procedure. Apart from the cost, which I assume is very high in the U.K. (I have a friend who paid one thousand pounds for one cataract removal and lens replacement which is about a half-hour in time,with the cost of the lens to the physician allowing for a significant profit for him/her).

You will also have to put drops into that eye about 3 times a day for probably 6 months. I am also informed by a surgeon that the eye is naturally repairing itself regularly but you have to remember that this op is a radical altering of the normal structure of the eye and they can't guarantee anything.

I am undergoing treatment for a burst blood vessel behind the retina. The retinal surgeon told me that "they won't pay for it-referring to the eye injection that is required as the only treatment to inhibit the growth of tiny new veins which themselves exude fluid.The fluid builds up behind the macula and distorts it and the vision. This person lied to me --I started to make enquiries after I was told it would cost me $300 per injection and after having agreed to the procedure I found out from a very high source in the B.C. medical profession that the cost of the drug to the surgeon was $13.13 and the balance of $287 went into the pockets of the surgeons . In addition, the Ministry of Health pays them an extra $175 per procedure. So, for the one minute of work to pick up the syringe and stick it into the eye this person made $462 less ths cost of the drug. According to my research and an article that appeared in the local paper written by a Doctor, under the Canada Health Act all patients who NEED a procedure must have it free of charge.

So buyer beware! DON'T mess around with that most delicate and precious of instruments--your eyes.

A kayaking friend of mine swears by it. But she says you only get about 10 years out of it.

My kayaking days are pretty much over but I've been in some not-very-serious whitewater and a contact lens has been flushed right out my eye.

Not for me though :crazy:

Edited by TheMantis