FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

School Closure

Kingsmills

The BBC is to axe Grangehill after approximately 30 years.

I was mid tenage when it started but nevertheless keenly followed the first two or three series of what was groundbreaking TV depicting life in an inner city comprehensive only slightly sanatised for early evening viewing.

Up until then, apart from the sitcom " Please Sir" most schools featured on children's TV  were distinctly upper class and not generally contemporary such as Billy Bunter or Just William.

I don't suppose I've seen it for two decades or more but sad to see it's demise nevertheless.

Scrapped as it no longer reflects the lives of kids at school. I therefore expect the BBC to commission a programme involving kids skiving off lessons and vandalising property whilst getting thoroughly seshed on White Lightening.

Guest couchpotato

Great show can anyone remember any of the names of the original charactors, Tucker was one if i remember rightly.

Apart from tucker i think the rest just added a n O to their name ,Johno,Rono,Zammo,Deno etc.

Scrapped as it no longer reflects the lives of kids at school. I therefore expect the BBC to commission a programme involving kids skiving off lessons and vandalising property whilst getting thoroughly seshed on White Lightening.

That sounds like my school years (which wasn't yesterday!)

Cheers scotty great links was it really 1978 it started, few more names that stood out, Michael Doyle, Pogo Patterson, Zammo.

1978 i was 13 attending Patchway High School, was always glued to box when GH came on. I seem to remember Tucker being abit of a cult figure for us in them days.

Cheers scotty great links was it really 1978 it started, few more names that stood out, Michael Doyle, Pogo Patterson, Zammo.

They were later additions to the cast. Trisha Yates, Tucker Jenkins, 'Gripper' Stebson were names I remember...