Butcher's ICT Record

Pele_Is_God

23 wins, 12 draws and 14 defeats from 49 games, yesterday would of been his 50TH game. Very good record don't you think.....

Not really as we did get relegated ect.

Aye, on the face of it, his win record is okay, but it's just a shame he doesn't win the important games.

Considering most of those games were against bottom 6 SPL clubs and SFL clubs then I think its a decidedly average record at best .

I don't think we have any right to expect a better record against bottom 6 SFL clubs and Division 1 clubs. To suggest that 23 wins, 12 draws and 14 defeats from 49 games against these teams is average shows just how inflated expectations have become following our spell in the SPL.

Considering most of those games were against bottom 6 SPL clubs and SFL clubs then I think its a decidedly average record at best .

I don't think we have any right to expect a better record against bottom 6 SFL clubs and Division 1 clubs. To suggest that 23 wins, 12 draws and 14 defeats from 49 games against these teams is average shows just how inflated expectations have become following our spell in the SPL.

Its not a very good record. Its just ok.

If any manager at ICT could have achieved the sort of record expected by many of our fans we'd be playing regular Champions league football. As it is, like a lot of the SFL and most of the SPL, we are an average Scottish football team playing against other average teams so I expect our results to be average.

If any manager at ICT could have achieved the sort of record expected by many of our fans we'd be playing regular Champions league football. As it is, like a lot of the SFL and most of the SPL, we are an average Scottish football team playing against other average teams so I expect our results to be average.

I do not over expect. My point is that the record in itself is fine, but you need to look outside the box and think, well, in that time we got relegated from the SPL and we also did pish poor the the SFL, though, we are doing pretty well just now.

It also includes a draw at home to Celtic and a win at Ibrox.

Its an ok record but tbh Im not fussed about his past record I care more about what he does between now and the end of the season

I think his managerial record is hard to judge given the fact he took over at the club at a time when the whole club appears to be going backwards as opposed to previous years when the club was on the up. Could anyone else have done any better given the current situation, I am not so sure.

Also his dealing in the transfer market have been mixed, I still thinking letting Hastings and Vigurs were mistakes along with a few of his signings but then again that could be down to the position the club is in., however he has had some success as well with the likes of Hayes and Foran.

I'm always surprised to see Butcher taking flak for our relegation. When this happens (and it hasn't happened yet on this thread but i'm sure Johnboy will be along in a minute to rectify that :lol: ) the argument is usually that Butcher's team selections in the last two games cost us our place in the SPL. I prefer to judge Butcher's contribution last season on all of the the 15 games he took charge of and the circumstances that surrounded that period of our history:

He took over a team that looked isolated at the bottom of the SPL. The team had absolutely no confidence, the fans were dejected following an horrendous run of home form and the board had allowed Brewster to splurge on desperate signings in the weeks before they sacked him. Butcher comes in following a run of 8 consecutive league defeats and gets a draw at home to Celtic. Suddenly we look organised and motivated, the two qualities that more an anything else had formed the platform that made us so successful in the SPL. The players and fans are galvanised and we take 20 points from the last 15 games in the SPL. On the last day of the season, we are relegated by a single goal with the highest points total of any relegated team in SPL history.

But no doubt somebody will tell me we got relegated because Butcher played Tokely at centre-half................

Nearly 8 months on from that horrible afternoon, we find ourselves with an outside chance of promotion following a 7 game unbeaten run with a side which usually contains at least 6 Butcher signings. Recent history tells us that relegated teams with big games in March are more likely to be concerned about relegation to the Second Division than promotion to the SPL. But we are about to play games at Dens and Dingwall while dreaming of promotion.

Thanks to Terry Butcher, who has an excellent record at ICT. Sign him up.

I'm always surprised to see Butcher taking flak for our relegation. When this happens (and it hasn't happened yet on this thread but i'm sure Johnboy will be along in a minute to rectify that :lol: ) the argument is usually that Butcher's team selections in the last two games cost us our place in the SPL. I prefer to judge Butcher's contribution last season on all of the the 15 games he took charge of and the circumstances that surrounded that period of our history:

He took over a team that looked isolated at the bottom of the SPL. The team had absolutely no confidence, the fans were dejected following an horrendous run of home form and the board had allowed Brewster to splurge on desperate signings in the weeks before they sacked him. Butcher comes in following a run of 8 consecutive league defeats and gets a draw at home to Celtic. Suddenly we look organised and motivated, the two qualities that more an anything else had formed the platform that made us so successful in the SPL. The players and fans are galvanised and we take 20 points from the last 15 games in the SPL. On the last day of the season, we are relegated by a single goal with the highest points total of any relegated team in SPL history.

But no doubt somebody will tell me we got relegated because Butcher played Tokely at centre-half................

Nearly 8 months on from that horrible afternoon, we find ourselves with an outside chance of promotion following a 7 game unbeaten run with a side which usually contains at least 6 Butcher signings. Recent history tells us that relegated teams with big games in March are more likely to be concerned about relegation to the Second Division than promotion to the SPL. But we are about to play games at Dens and Dingwall while dreaming of promotion.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember Brewster going on a good run when he took over from Charlie this often happens when new managers take over....what does worry me is that Butcher took us to a position where we should have been safe then we blew it. Like I said on my previous post I think its difficult to judge him but do I think he has done a great job...probably not

Honeymoon effect or not, Butcher is now proving the mettle of his managerial record and the value of his signings. Whether we go up or not, he has done a lot to instill confidence in the fans this season. I have no doubt that this side could have held their own in the bottom half of the SPL if we had been saved. Onwards and upwards.

Oh as a PS, I think the upturn co-incided with his finishing the Scotland job though.

Edited by gordyfromsneck

23 wins, 12 draws and 14 defeats from 49 games, yesterday would of been his 50TH game. Very good record don't you think.....

Not really as we did get relegated ect.

Aye, on the face of it, his win record is okay, but it's just a shame he doesn't win the important games.

think that's a fair point... on the face of it his win percentage is excellent (you can only beat what's infront of you) but Rene's right he is yet to win what would be classed as an 'important game'. Rangers & St Mirren from last season were possibly still classed as his honeymoon period but since then the Motherwell game, Falkirk game, 2 C*unty games & Dundee games we are yet to get 3 points. He's got a good record but until he starts winning the crucial fixtures I am a non believer.