Reality Check

tm4tj

Well,

We have had talk of third place, European destinations, ending the SPL champions winning streak, unbeaten runs, top six, our best players going to Celtic.........even the merger, the name change, the ground location et all took a back seat. Videos on you tube of fans ranting and raving and waxing lyrical, videos of Doc Butcher even videos of bleeding Butcher............then, what happens. Motherwell drop by and show ushow to do it.

Hello, wakey wakey.

Yes we have done well so far, and the longer that continues the better, but let's keep our feet firmly on the ground and be thankful for what we have.

So, beaten bu not disgraced.

• Agree 1

Just very frustrating, our manager really does have to address how we approach these home games mentally. Need to concentrate 100% for 90 minutes without drifting off. have to put everything into a game like we seem to do away from home when the team spend a full morning focusing on it, its not like they have to do much the other 9990 minutes there are in a week. How long do the squad spend together before a match? If its just the 30 odd minutes pre kick off then maybe that needs to be looked at, I can imagine on an away trip it isnt just the bus trip that bonds the team and keeps them focused, their routines in and around away grounds are probably very different than they are at home. Do the team meet away from the ground and travel together like alot of sides make their squads do or do they just meet at the Stadium?

Reality check landed though, well done Motherwell.

• Agree 3

absolutely spot on tm4tj. We are a good team and have done very well over the start of the season but most teams promoted from a lower division come up with momentum. If we can emulate St Johnstone's season last year it will be an over achievement. Remeber we were relegation favourites at the start of the season and the bookies are rairly wrong so just be thankful if they are.

No doubt Hayes, Rooney and Odhiambo are exceptional quality for a team that's just been promoted and could probably make there way into most teams outside the old firm but we need to compliment them with additional talent and so far the only new signings that have developed the team are McCann & Duff.... it's our youth players that have contributed more. Encouraging for the future... but lets not get ahead of ourselves eh

Just very frustrating, our manager really does have to address how we approach these home games mentally. Need to concentrate 100% for 90 minutes without drifting off. have to put everything into a game like we seem to do away from home when the team spend a full morning focusing on it, its not like they have to do much the other 9990 minutes there are in a week. How long do the squad spend together before a match? If its just the 30 odd minutes pre kick off then maybe that needs to be looked at, I can imagine on an away trip it isnt just the bus trip that bonds the team and keeps them focused, their routines in and around away grounds are probably very different than they are at home. Do the team meet away from the ground and travel together like alot of sides make their squads do or do they just meet at the Stadium?

Reality check landed though, well done Motherwell.

Some very pertinent questions there.

I suspect practically everyone's priority is avoiding relegation. But what's wrong with dreaming a little? I don't expect third place, in fact, I don't really expect top six, but while it's a possibility, why not look on the bright side? Sure, it could all fall apart but let's have a bit of optimism. Stranger things have happened.

I think tm4tj is spot on, and what is more. I think we will drop down in the 2nd quarter. There is always a good run for the newly promoted side, a mix of honeymoon and that no-one knows your players. The next bit will be different. Top 6 is not unrealistic, but a euro place would see me eating my beret.

I think we can keep this momentum going. Our squad has played upteen games together, they are fully gelled, this isnt a honeymoon period. If we keep our starting 11 fit and injury free, we will do well. Just the bench worries me, not alot of players guaranteed to change a game.

We were woeful yesterday though. The team that turns up at away games, and the team that turns up for home games might be the same, but are so different!

absolutely spot on tm4tj. We are a good team and have done very well over the start of the season but most teams promoted from a lower division come up with momentum. If we can emulate St Johnstone's season last year it will be an over achievement. Remeber we were relegation favourites at the start of the season and the bookies are rairly wrong so just be thankful if they are.

No doubt Hayes, Rooney and Odhiambo are exceptional quality for a team that's just been promoted and could probably make there way into most teams outside the old firm but we need to compliment them with additional talent and so far the only new signings that have developed the team are McCann & Duff.... it's our youth players that have contributed more. Encouraging for the future... but lets not get ahead of ourselves eh

Spot on Hairy - this is our first season back in the SPL and this is consolidation time - I can see Butcher and Malpas being here for a good few years and we have a YOUNG, DEVELOPING, EXCITING squad with a lot of potential. Put a bit of experience in there and who knows ??

At this stage last year (both after 11 games, and after one full round of all opponents) we were in 6th of 10 (top of the bottom). This year we're 6th of 12 (bottom of the top).

That's what I'm basing my reality on, and I'm fairly optimistic. I hoped we would win yesterday, and put money on it, but I'm neither surprised nor daunted by the fact that we lost.