FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Televised Games

Big G

With our home games against Hearts and Motherwell changed for ESPN and Sky it certainly looks like the T.V companies see entertainment value from covering our matches. Friends and family who only ever saw us, and most other teams, against the O.F on T.V cannot believe how entertaining SPL games covered without Celtic are. Are we seeing a new dawn in Scottish football?

Edited by Big G

To answer your question unfortunately I don't think so, not at the moment anyway but time will tell.

I wouldn't agree that all games without Celtic are entertaining nor are the games with them covered, make no bones about it the quality of Scottish Football is poor and will take a long time to get better, I for one do not jump to watch an SPL game. Yes we will be biased on here and say that the last few games have saw us significantly improve and show good signs of playing decent football but lets not hide behind the fact that ESPN and Sky show certain games for a reason and not because they just want to -

Firstly Rangers are no longer in the package so they have more games free to show other teams as they cannot monopolise the screen with Celtic

Secondly they have chosen the Hearts games because they are struggling and there is a chance that we may upset them again and push them closer to trouble, that coupled with our impressive come back in the last game with them adds to potential excitement

Thirdly Motherwell are riding high and they will probably see this as a possible 'giant killer' (for lack of a better phrase) game where we topple a team near the top.

Lastly ESPN have to do something to promote their station and football package for next season as they have lost theie rights to the EPL as it has gone to BT so they need to keep the viewers.

Yes it is good that we are getting the coverage on tv however it takes fans away from the gate, I am not in the best position to talk about not going to games for personal reasons as stated before, but the main aim must be getting fans through the turnstile. Just because we are shown in extra games in the league doesn't mean we get extra money as it is all included in the package.

If we are going to be shown on tv I would rather that it was cup games where they have to pay for them on an individual basis.

Any publicity is good publicity they say. I feel that those who are going to go to a game will regardless, in fact if the game earns a little extra hype via television previews before hand then it may help increase attendances, I certainly don't think it will harm them.

The question was is the game changing?

Not sure if this is "a new dawn" as the OP said but without the blue half of the ugly sisters broadcasters have to focus more on the other teams in the league, this exposure is beneficial no matter how you look at it. For so long we have heard folk say (quite rightly) that the league is a 2 horse race, now they get the chance to watch some other games and thankfully the teams involved (well ICT at least!) have provided good entertainment, played good football and shown the game in a positive light. The more of this the better, our game will only benefit from it. I'm not saying we have a marvellous league but I feel it is a better product WITHOUT the perpetual 2 horse race and involvement of the OF as a joint entity. Hopefully Mr. Green's dumb threat to never join the SPL while he is in charge at ibrox is a real threat as the longer the 2 OF teams are not in the league, the stronger the other teams can get and the better product the SPL becomes.

I would much rather watch Hibs v Dundee United than Tottenham v Reading or some such EPL game simply because the teams involved mean more to me but I'm not daft enough to think it is a higher level of football on show. Is it more exciting? Probably, who knows - depends on the game itself, which is almost always an unknown quantity before the game starts.

I find it strange that people in Scotland, and the powers that be (SPL, SKY, etc) seem to think having one of the OF on a televised game each and every week makes our league more appealing to a viewing audience - this is b0ll0x! I've lived in englandshire for extended periods on 2 separate occasions and genuine football fans down south have little time for talking Scottish football with you until they find out you are NOT an OF supporter, the moment you tell a fan you are an ICT supporter they ask you loads of questions about the game and say how they dislike the old firm and their fans. I've had this happen many times with fans of different teams and the questions they ask are very interesting, they accept that there is more money in the English game therefore they can attract better players but they always like you supporting "your own" team.

Hopefully we are witnessing a change in Scottish football but we'll have to wait and see but there is no doubt there is the opportunity to alter the public perception of the Scottish game. Are those in charge wise enough to capitalise on this however?...

• Agree 1

Even if the crowds go down when a game is broadcast don't the clubs get extra revenue from the T V people?

In a word, no. There is an annual settlement from the SPL which has TV revenues factored in. Cup games are extra though so we'll get a few bob when we knock the third division minnows out in a couple of weeks.

Different point but probably not worth a thread in its own right ... does anyone else get annoyed by the number of replays in the highlights ... in the Ross County highlights each goal got 5 showings and each other clip chosen 3 ... how about showing more of the match with less replays ... can always run the clip again if you want to watch it again.

• Agree 2

The huge bonus is for the further travelled fans - and you can add Alba in to that pot. Away matches are the easiest to travel to and from and unfortunately Sneckie is still a fair hike. But I really appreciate the opportunity to view as many matches in a season as possible. I know that many will say that you get a far better perspective being at the game but I would disagree as you can view from different angles, replays etc on the box. I don't see why TV viewers of a game live are not allowed to vote in the POY awards.

Forgive me if this has been raised on another thread. Any word of the Newco v ICT league cup game on Halloween being televised? I don't see it listed on Sky Sports or ESPN schedules.

Sevco were advertising that the game wasn't shown on tv the other day.

Forgive me if this has been raised on another thread. Any word of the Newco v ICT league cup game on Halloween being televised? I don't see it listed on Sky Sports or ESPN schedules.

Sevco were advertising that the game wasn't shown on tv the other day.

Typical..... Surely a great chance for ALBA to step in Has the potential of being a real cracker.

Go to it ICT you can do us proud.