FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Hypothetical Manager's Dilemma

Yngwie

40 members have voted

1. 1. Would you player Fraser in the scenario described?

• Yes
    • No

We have 2 decent, fully fit keepers, but Fraser is in possession of the keeper's jersey and there is nothing to suggest he will lose his place for the game against his future employers. But would it be any different if Motherwell were down at the bottom in the relegation dogfight?

One mistake by Fraser could ensure that he plays SPL football next season and becomes an established SPL keeper for years to come.

On the other hand, with a flawless performance could condemn himself to a career in the SFL.

In that scenario, would you play him if you were manager?

That's a toughie. But I think Motherwell are safe, and I would like to think Fraser would give 100% to make sure he doesn't contribute to us going down. After all, that tells his future employers he can't play under pressure....

Although as I said elsewhere I would prefer Esson for his better penalty saving record.

I heard that the only reason he was in ahead of Esson was because his kicking ability is superior. However, whether you agree with that or not (and I'm not convinced) I don't think it's fair on anyone to ask him to play against his future employer. I know it's happened with players in the past and there's been no problems but it only takes one dubious looking error for it all to go wrong and fingers start getting pointed.

We have 2 decent, fully fit keepers, but Fraser is in possession of the keeper's jersey and there is nothing to suggest he will lose his place for the game against his future employers. But would it be any different if Motherwell were down at the bottom in the relegation dogfight?

One mistake by Fraser could ensure that he plays SPL football next season and becomes an established SPL keeper for years to come.

On the other hand, with a flawless performance could condemn himself to a career in the SFL.

The question simply doesn't arise because there aren't nearly enough points left to be won for everyone below Motherwell to catch them. There are nine bottom six games left with a maximum total points take of 27. The five teams below Motherwell (who also have a much better goal difference) are as total of 45 points behind them.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

The first person to say yes??? Am i not readin it right???

Motherwell are completely safe from relegation. I dont see the point of Michael even bothering to 'lay back' and noot giving his 100% for the three remaining fixtures.

I would see Butchers understanding if he doesn't pick Fraser for the Motherwell game.

The question simply doesn't arise because there aren't nearly enough points left to be won for everyone below Motherwell to catch them. There are nine bottom six games left with a maximum total points take of 27. The five teams below Motherwell (who also have a much better goal difference) are as total of 45 points behind them.

That will be why he said "Hypothetical" in the thread title Mr B. :lol:

But we dont know the rationale for Mikey to replace Esson at Midden - I dont believe that it was either tactical or based on qualities. If that was the case Mikey has a better kick but I would say that Esson shows more urgency and looks for the quick release - Esson may be the better shop stopper and both of them are suspect at times with crosses there really isnt anything to separate them - so I am told that the reasons were of a disciplinary nature.

After the last two games can you really drop Fraser ? We need to know what has been going on behind the scenes. Personally I think Esson should never have been dropped.

Would you player Fraser in the scenario described?

of course i would PLAYER Fraserin the scenario described :lol:

Sheridan wasnt allowed to play for Motherwell against Celtic at the request of Gordon Strachan as he is only on loan from Celtic.

I think same scenario...imagine the fans if Fraser had a cracking game of keeping them out and ICT won?

We played Dods against Dundee Utd after he signed a pre-contract with them but thats cause he was required.

Didn't want Fraser recalled, regardless of scenario. Esson is the better keeper out of the 2. More agile, better ball distribution and more experienced....has also saved 2 out of 3 penalty's conceded in games he has played this season.

Happy enough to leave the decision to ex-Motherwell manager Terry Butcher. both keepers are decent enough to start so no problem with whoever he chooses.

Although I think Esson is better if I was the manager and thought Fraser was the better goalie i would play as he is a professional and i would trust him to do the best for the club since we brought him through the youth ranks.

Also what does he gain for Well if he gives them the game - They cant get higher than 7th so what is the point?

Although as I said elsewhere I would prefer Esson for his better penalty saving record.

Not quite sure where your coming from here but did I miss a penatly shoot out with each game we have left?

I would have to go with Esson just because of the pre contract, it would not be fair to either Ike or ICT if his mistake cost us the game, through possibly no fault of his own it could tarnish an impeccible record of a local boy done good.

Seems to be a lotta who hah ing over a hypothetical near impossible scenario.

I just dont see why Esson was dropped in the 1st place. I thought he was doing well and never heard of anyone critising his kicking - no matter how superiors Ike's allegedly is.

Not quite sure where your coming from here but did I miss a penatly shoot out with each game we have left?

I would have to go with Esson just because of the pre contract, it would not be fair to either Ike or ICT if his mistake cost us the game, through possibly no fault of his own it could tarnish an impeccible record of a local boy done good.

We went through a spell earlier in the season of collecting penalties like nothing on earth. If we're neck and neck on the last day with Falkirk, and Rossco fells someone in the box, I'd like more than a 0% chance of a save being made.

Is this a hypothetical penalty? Why did you pick on poor Rosscoe, he may have sleepless nights over giving away a penalty in the last game of the season. :lol:

Remember the last penalty was given away by Esson, so if Ike gave one away would it not be better to have Esson on the bench to replace Ike and save the day!!! :lol:

It's a bit like if ma granny had baws, she'd be my grandad.

I just dont see why Esson was dropped in the 1st place. I thought he was doing well and never heard of anyone critising his kicking - no matter how superiors Ike's allegedly is.

I know why Esson was dropped and trust me it wasn't a footballing decision .

Fraser has the potential to become a better keeper than Esson... but right now experience and confidence is paramount...

Esson should be between the sticks for the final 3 games - he and Butcher are just gonna have to kiss and make up.

I know why Esson was dropped and trust me it wasn't a footballing decision .

Esson and Butcher's alledged fall out perhaps?