Hamilton Accies Moving On Up

beachcomber

Guest CaleyJaggy

It will once they put proper turf down instead of their plastic pitch.  They had to put in an extra 600 seats iirc to bring the stadium up to 6k seats but otherwise they have no problems of that nature.  I think accies are going to be able to stay up next season and I can see the split being pretty exciting for those in it as it's not going to be as clear cut as it has been the last couple of seasons.

Not sure about them staying up. Billy Reid has a lot of youngsters and he was hinting yesterday that his SPL team would be full of young players. Will they be able to put together a deep enough squad with enough experience? Do they have any more money than the likes of us? Will a grass pitch put paid to their outstanding home record? Only smarties have the answer.

Accies were very nearly out of business about five years ago - for them to make it to the SPL is a REAL fairy-tale, living the dream etc.  Forget that Gretna pish.

I think they could do OK.  Offiong is a goalscorer, tjhey have some good young lads through the team and a few old heads (Mark McLaughlin etc).

Tokely

McBain

Hart

Munro

Wyness

Proctor

Wilson

Hastings

Duncan

McCaffery

Golabek

All players who I can think of from the top of my head that played for ICT at a lower level and have done a job for us since we got into the SPL.

8 of them made an appearance yesterday and possibly could have been 9 if Duncan had not been suspended.

Proof that you don't necessarily need wholesale changes to your squad in order to survive in the SPL.

I think Hamilton will stay up next season. They have some very talented players and ok they have a young squad but im sure alan hansen will tell you that you CAN win things with kids. Richard Offiong is a very good striker and 17 year old James McCarthy is wanted by some top European sides. Cant see McCarthy staying for much longer but im sure Hamilton will get a decent fee for him.

Best thing about them going up is you can watch the game for nothing.  They have a bank behind one of the goals and can get a cracking view.  Hopefully we get them in the summer months.  However if you wish to 'carry out' some activities you are highly visible to everybody including police, stewards and the control room.  Heard rumours of ?40 on the spot fines being handed out so beware!

Good to get a new venue, pubs, etc to explore

They will compete, SPL is competitive due to general poor standard and as long as you dont go into administration

Guest Fairways Flyer

As an Inverness Accie I am confident we will do what we haven't done in our previous post-war promotions to the top division and that is stay up. Yes we definitely need a bigger squad but watch out... the mentality of this young Accies team led by 'Sir' Alex Neil  is something to behold!  :clapping03:

And McCarthy and Mcarthur will light up the SPL...

They've proved they can handle the pressure week after week with Dundee hot on our heels and from what I've seen of the SPL at TCS there is nothing too much to fear.

If you're looking for a handy hostelry the Academical Vaults across from Hamilton West station will be good crack - NDP is probably the only SPL ground with a station right beside it (on the Glasgow Central low level line) so a good away day avoiding the A9!

i have to say i would have to errr on the side of caution with this one, i reckon if they can get themselves off to a decent start, maybe put up a decent fight against a few teams and nick some early points they will gain some momentum and will surprise alot of people. in all honesty i can see there being some big changews in our own camp over the next few months and i have some real concerns that some of our squad may start to get a little complacent and we could really have a fight next season

Guest Fairways Flyer

Never been to NDP - was it built right next to the old one?

Yes..a few yards down the hill from the old park (which is now a retail park) 

NDP fortunately does not have the sloping pitch of the old version!