FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

What areas need strengthening?

Guest Mahonio

Ok, with a lot of fans stating that the Midfield needs stregthening what other areas need to be looked at form Jan window because i would say that as well as Midfield we COULD look for an experienced Goalie?

I somehow agree that we need a bit of flair in Midfield but don't really know of anyone apart from Wilson for a bit of experience to the Midfield so fellow fans, help me out, who would you want as our midfield signings in Jan?

Bazza back! its a tough one, but to say we need another keeper i dont agree, Kyle is young but to be honest Esson lived it Fritzs shadow and Fritzs in Browns for a while and look how they turned out!! so to be fair, we needed to have a bench warmer. Allison for me is good enough with Esson and the coaching staff guiding him... we have exsperiance in mid field, we have Mcbain, Foran (if played there) Imire, and Duncan.. hummm, and to say hayes and cox arnt doing well is just mad, I beleve Stanyboy isnt the finished player yet, and i stand by Eagles being great if played left wing... the more i type the more im thinking its where they are picked to play, that may be going wrong... and we do miss Doooge

Edited by Georgeios

GK - I've seem Allison twice and felt each time he was dodgy. I would like to see a decent and affordable keeper being brought in to compete with Esson.

RB - Tokely is obviously the first choice and there's enough to fill in with Proctor, Cox, Stratford and Duncan all able to fill in there.

CB - This is a place where someone is needed. Munro is looking good this season, but I'm still no convinced by Bulvitis (or Bull In a China Shop as I call him). Looks clumsy and error prone and has given away both a penalty and an own goal in the space of a week! Desperately need a big, commanding centre half I reckon to go in next to Munro, with Bulvitis filling in if needed.

LB - Enough left backs now. Golabek seems to now be the first choice, with Djebi-Zadi slipping in if needed. There's also Shinnie waiting in the wings, who did very well against Albion, and Roy McBain who can also play at Left Back.

Midfield - Enough left wingers and centre midfielders at the moment but right footed Hayes-type is needed. Ross is one but he might not be ready for a start yet. Odhiambo can also play at right wing and Foran (who is right footed), but is Odhiambo big enough and would these two be better off putted up front.

Strikers - Enough for now, but a cutting edge striker like Dargo is really needed. Someone who can score for fun. Foran could get the goals but he needs someone to feed off. I'm not convinced by Sanchez yet, but Barrowman and Foran up front could be the answer with Rooney waiting in the wings.

---J. Sutherland---Proctor---Djebi-Zadi---Shinnie--- as a fall back. we cant waste money by having a same standard back row in Reserve.

Ren having read you second post I dont really get what your on about to be fair, you seem to have pointed out that we do have cover, if Bull's out or munro's out then for example Rossco moved over and any one of your named players can fill rosscos place, As for Keepers yes you rightly pointed out that Wee Allison isnt the finished artical but how many teams do you know of down here that have the number one shirt fought over by two lads that are as good as each other.. this would IMO mean we'd have to pay them around the same and that to me is a waste of already tight cash.

I agree kinda with Gleb to a degree, we need a know goal scorer (Sanchez is scoring them to be honest) but again if we had or knew of a proven 90% goal scorer.. wouldnt he be in the SPL by now.. Strikers cost, we have done what we needed to do and found some unknown striker and given him the chance to prove he can.. I think he Can, this to me is also a dangerous thing as he will be snapped up next year too by... the SPL I'm sure...Barrowloads for example, was banging them in down in the lowers, we poached him in to the SPL...

Thats the problem with SFL1, any tallent we do have or find thats only on a little contract will soon be poached way.

Edited by Georgeios

Am I right in remembering that Tokers once played in goal for us? Seem to remember it was near the end of a match and we'd used all our subs and keeper got sent of or something.

You are indeed right - it was against Livingston in (I think) the First Division. They were the team to beat back then and we did just that, admittedly hanging on at the end with just ten men and Tokely in goal.

---J. Sutherland---Proctor---Djebi-Zadi---Shinnie--- as a fall back. we cant waste money by having a same standard back row in Reserve.

Ren having read you second post I dont really get what your on about to be fair, you seem to have pointed out that we do have cover, if Bull's out or munro's out then for example Rossco moved over and any one of your named players can fill rosscos place,

ICT may have cover, but are they any good? The other thing with all that "cover" is that none of them are natural centre-backs. They might alleged be known as players wo can play there, but that doesn't mean their any good. And here's anothe thing, Proctor had long spells at centre-back under Brew and was rubbish. Tokely's inability to play there are one of the reasons ICT were relegated. I've no idea how good Golabek is at centre-back and Lionel would just be too nuts.

Of those players you put:

Sutherland - Plays right back I think, never seen him so can't comment on how good he is.

Proctor - Played centre-back under Brew was hopless every time.

Djebi-Zadi - Don't want him there, causes it would probably be disasterous.

Shinnie - A left back and a small one at that. Can't see him doing a good job at centre-back.

Justify to me then renagade why we should have 11 great in the position players in reserve as well as having enough player to play in areas to mix it up abit and change tactics.. Our squad would have to have atleast 33 players on the books, something we cant afford to have just now down here.

Justify to me then renagade why we should have 11 great in the position players in reserve as well as having enough player to play in areas to mix it up abit and change tactics.. Our squad would have to have atleast 33 players on the books, something we cant afford to have just now down here.

spot on

i think the only team in this league that have genuine quality in reserve is Dundee and even their squad in envied by SPL managers. I recall Aberdeen being interested in Leigh Griffiths but were outbid by Dundee, Griffiths hasnt even been a regular starter this season!

I think the one area that may need attention is right midfield

even from the RM side of things, we have Cox/Hayes/Mcbain/Duncan/Foran who can do it if needed Doogie can sit right too, Diversity wise IMO we do have it. most positions are covered all be it with out of position players we have a few capable stop gap players.

I'm not trying to justify having 33 players on the books. I just reckon that a decent right winger and predominantly a big centre-half (perhaps as well a sub keeper, though not so deserately) are needed to be brought in for ICT to succeed. Doesn't matter if others like Tokely or Proctor can "play" there, cause a new one is needed. Ok?

Oh Ok Stroppy, I?m just putting my opinion over, and questioning your (And others) thoughts on the subject that?s all really, that?s your point I have mine, it?s a discussion not a dictation.

For me, the weakness is in centre-midfield. Sure, we have enough defensive midfielders in Stratford, Cox and Duncan. Maybe even McBain. But a good passing midfielder with an ability to support the front two? Cox seems shoehorned in to that role but I'd still have preferred an experienced player there. I'm not talking SPL standard but just someone of SFL1 ability that's played that position. I'd have kept Vigurs mind you for that role.

at the end of the day we have to be realistic. we are a first division team so we have to get used to the idea of having a smaller and weaker squad. either that or hope some russian billionare decides that he likes us. :fishing:

Spot feckin on - we have a good enough squad for the budget and the SFL - it is as much to do with the selection and the tactics as much as anything else - and hopefully they are adjusting as a few strengths and weaknesses are sussed out.

Some of you may be interested to know that my inside info is that Duncan is very unhappy about not getting his place at the moment. He could be the next to go. And Cox might be away sooner than expected too. A certain SPL sides scouts were having a look at him.

Edited by Renegade

Of course Duncan is unhappy - I would be unhappy if he wasnt. DOH - do you think McBain is unhappy as well. And if the SPL scouts have noted Cox already they have worse scouts than we have. But DOH - there are SPL scouts at most games - thats their feckin job. :crazy07: :crazy07: :crazy07:

A sub keeper.

I see Dundee have signed Derek Soutar as cover. Whilst I don't really rate him, I'd have thought that with him being a free agent since the end of last season, he would have been the sort of player we'd have looked at in the summer to be Esson's deputy.