FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dargo welcomes contract talks

Harry Chibber

Courier article

Helping Caley Thistle's bid to reach the top six come next April's split may be Dargo's aim for the season, but he will also need to decide where his future lies before the end of the campaign as his current deals runs out next summer.

Last week, director of football, Graeme Bennett, admitted the club would start contract talks with Dargo in the next couple of weeks - a move the striker would welcome.

"Last season I had an absolutely great time here,” he said. "In fact, it was probably my most enjoyable season as a professional player.

"I haven't been spoken to yet about a new contract, but if the manager and the director of football want to do that in the near future then it's not a problem."

looks good!

We probably have the most honest bunch of players in the SPL.

Craig has experienced some very serious lows in his career and I am sure these experiences mean a false big money move could be a disaster. At his age he could be more into oblivion than O'Riordan because there might be no way back. For those who do not see him coming off the pitch either for substitutions or at the end he is the most serious of any player. He always looks totally angry with his performance for the Club or team.

I am sure that Craig will make the best decision for Craig and the comments to me sound neither positive or negative ... he is simply saying "I would be happy to stay at ICT, if the right offer is made .. so make me an offer and we can go from there..."

I dont get the impression that CD is all that motivated by money - although it would be foolish to suggest it was not a factor. In his case, he had quite a few seasons blighted by injury which he clearly did not enjoy and - by his own admission - had one of his most enjoyable seasons last year. Hopefully 'job satisfaction' will be a major factor in his consideration of a new deal.

Another factor is that he's at an age where, as a forward, he may not hve many more new contracts to look forward to which might make money more of a factor than it was for the likes of Ian Black who, all else being equal, might have another 12 -15 years in the game in which to maximise his incom.

Guest Suspicious Mind

Agree with Colin.

Could be Dargo's last contract of significance so cash could play a major part. Let's hope enjoyment plays a bigger part in any decision!

The timing is fer the January Sales. It may be a question of having to sell if a contract cannot be agreed. I am reliably informed that it is'nt the wages that is the problem it is the length of the contract plus I am even more reliably informed that CD is outspoken about the recent tactics and its effect on his performances. With that I wholeheartedly agree and fink that the system at Castle Greyskull will abet his pace.

I think Dargo is the key player in our team. We need to keep him at all costs IMO.

He hasn't had the greatest of starts to this season, but then some of the stuff we've played has been tactically dire. We're not playing to his strengths at all and I don't think him and Bayne are an effective partnership up front. There were times last season when just watching the way Craig was hounding opposition defences made the whole game worthwhile, we need to refind that sort of form.

He's taken a bit of unfair stick already this season but he's far and away our best striker, and certainly our best source of goals.

Here's hoping the wee man bangs a few in tomorrow :notworthy01:

There were times last season when just watching the way Craig was hounding opposition defences made the whole game worthwhile, we need to refind that sort of form.

Does this mean that the team suffers while we wait until he finds this form??  Chasing defenders comes down to hard work and this season he has looked lathargic on occasions... he is either not fully fit or not trying as hard.  If this is the case then McCallister or Wyness should be drafted in for him, no player is bigger than the team and the excuse of "we're not playing to his strengths" isn't a valid one as he, like any other player in the team should be working his *** off to get the breaks.  I am not overly concerned with our attack at the moment because as you have said our problem lies in midfield but I think the major reason for Dargo's criticism this year is because he doesn't seem to be making as much effort as he did last season... fair enough if you are not scoring the goals, as long as you are working hard for the team but what annoys me is the undeserved attacks on Bayne... not because he hasn't given his all.... not because he hasn't played well.... but because it doesn't look like Dargo likes playing with him!! Maybe Charlie should be looking for a player that is going to work harder than Dargo has to form a partnership with Bayne and we can have 2 forwards in the team giving their all for the team!!

rant over!! :003: