Peugeot's

12th Man

Does anyone else have this problem this is our first winter with a 207 and if the water container freezes up, the 10A fuse blows when you try to clean the windscreen.

I checked the web and its a so called safety feature?? so how safe is it if you are on a long journey and the fuse blows,should you then abandon your car ? where as any normal car you could pull in leave the car running generate some heat and spray your windscreen 10 mins later.

Its fine and well using antifreeze but it usually only works to minus 2 at best as the water and antifreeze starts to seperate.

I have now fitted a 10A resettable cut out from maplin as I dont want to get in to the habit of keep replacing fuses, I have had to offset the pins slightly as they are staggered, so far so good but not the ideal solution to Peugeot's problem,

If the fluid in the bottle is frozen, then it's likely the fluid through the whole system, including that in the pump is frozen. Trying to run the motor when it can't move will burn it out, so it makes sense that the fuse blows before you do damage to the that.

If the washer fluid is freezing in the bottle at minus 2, then you are diluting it far too much and I suggest you read the instructions on the container for winter/cold conditions with regards to how much, if anything, you should be diluting it.

One past piece of advice......don't mix your washer fluids. If you change brand then empty the container before topping up. Don't know why, but some washer fluids turn to jelly when mixed with others and clog everything up.

my 307 is the same, keep a packet of fuses in the car and get rid of it when you can, I owe nothing on my car but cant sell it for what i want as everyone knows Pugs are pants and thus only offer stupid money lol...

My advice would be not to buy French cars.

This. French cars are awful, awful things.

Eh'v had 2 Renaults, never a hiccup fae either,used a Peugeot diesal estate for work vehicle, 120,000 miles wi nae probs,sold locally and still see it running aboot. ( no sure if the wipers are still workin mind)

If the fluid in the bottle is frozen, then it's likely the fluid through the whole system, including that in the pump is frozen. Trying to run the motor when it can't move will burn it out, so it makes sense that the fuse blows before you do damage to the that.

If the washer fluid is freezing in the bottle at minus 2, then you are diluting it far too much and I suggest you read the instructions on the container for winter/cold conditions with regards to how much, if anything, you should be diluting it.

One past piece of advice......don't mix your washer fluids. If you change brand then empty the container before topping up. Don't know why, but some washer fluids turn to jelly when mixed with others and clog everything up.

My girlfriend bought some ready to use screenwash out of tescos and had it sitting on the passenger seat to be uses when I had found out what the problem was, the unopened bottle had started to freeze up that was left overnight sitting on the seat.

This is my first car that has ever had this type of problem.

My girlfriend bought some ready to use screenwash out of tescos and had it sitting on the passenger seat to be uses when I had found out what the problem was, the unopened bottle had started to freeze up that was left overnight sitting on the seat.

This is my first car that has ever had this type of problem.

The ready mixed stuff is really pretty poor and is off little use during the winter when it is far too dilute (it is pretty rubbish in the rest of the year when it justs seems to leave streaks everywhere!).

Regarding an earlier post on travelling on the A9, even when the mix is adequate for low temperatures (mine is currently good for minus 12), the wind chill means that driving on a fast road will more often than not give actual temperatures of lower than the thermometer is showing.

My car has heated nozzles and lines but will still give up the ghost eventually.

Never have and never will buy the already diluted stuff, absolute rubbish and it works out much cheaper buying the concentrated stuff. On the subject of the motors, the motor in my Citroen gave up the ghost in the middle of summer so it must be something with Citroen/Peugeots.

I got an old Citroen BX diesel at an auction in 1991 and loved it. I went on to have 6 Citroens including the dreaded Picasso for 5 years (ask Johnboy, he loves them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ). All quite quirky in their own way, hydropneumatic suspension, the lot, but very reliable I must say.

All of a sudden last New Year I just felt like a change and got a Skoda Octavia. Great car, anybody will tell you, and more likely to be approved by Mr Clarkson and those other twits than any Citroen, but it's not been reliable at all. You'd expect a lot better from a car made by Volkswagen. Often it's just down to luck.

Talking of washer motors, I had a Chrysler Avenger in the late 70s, a company car. The screenwash motor was under the wheel arch which meant it was frozen for half the winter. And my daughter's a new driver - this week she snapped the rear wiper arm off an Astra just because she turned it on when it was frozen.

Edited by The Mantis

Eh'v had 2 Renaults, never a hiccup fae either,used a Peugeot diesal estate for work vehicle, 120,000 miles wi nae probs,sold locally and still see it running aboot. ( no sure if the wipers are still workin mind)

Our family has a fair bit of history with French cars, but my Dad seems to be the only one left that wants to persevere with them :wacko:

Renault 5

Renault 21 Savanna Estate

Renault Clio Mk1

Renault Clio Mk2

Citroen Berlingo Mk1

So far the only car (I say car, read as "van that wants to be a car") that has ran reliably without having to visit the garage every second month has been the Berlingo.