FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

MEAL NAMES.

What do you have?

Do you have Lunch or Dinner?    Dinner or Tea or even Supper?

As a kid I always had my Dinner at midday and my Tea at night.  Kids went to school dinners, served by dinner ladies.  Some kids took a packed lunch to have at dinner time, which seemed strange.

Been arguning this with the missus for a couple of weeks now.  But what does she know she's originally a Weegie and keeps on calling her old man's shed a hut.

I had breakfast dinner tea and supper. Supper being a biscuit and glass of milk or cup of hot chocolate before bed. I would never have a packed lunch.........it was always a 'piece' in a 'piece box'. We had a shed in the back garden and a 'hut' up the hill where the gang would meet to play. The hut was built with old wood and corrugated iron sheets and covered over with bracken to disguise it.

As child it was breakfast, dinner and supper. We had a later evening snack we referred to as "bed time tea". Now it appears to be breakfast, lunch and tea (although tea becomes dinner if we're eating out.) If we have a snack later in the evening it's referred to us supper.

I suspect the the difference is that I was brought up in and around Inverness and now reside in Aberdeenshire so that there's a difference in local vernacular.

Guest birdog

I just call all meal times "nosebag" now. Working watches at sea knocks the feck out of your body clock making all meal times the same.

Guest couchpotato

it's easy really,

Breakfast is at breakfast time

Dinner is at dinner time

Tea is at tea time

UNLESS......

your going out for a posh meal at tea time time in which case it becomes dinner

Easy eh?

Breakfast at 1 o'clock.  Then a lunch/dinner thing at 6.  Then chocolate, nuts and pepsi thereafter.  Is that not how everyone does it?

Women think a breakfast is good because it's low in fat, high in fibre.  For men, it's good if it's so chocolatey, it turns the milk brown.

- Dave Lister, Red Dwarf

Early morning cup of tea

Breakfast

Morning Coffee

Lunch

Afternoon tea

Dinner

Supper

Ah well I will never be thin..... but actually as a part timer at work I don't actually get Morning Coffee, Lunch or Afternoon tea and if I am running late no breakfast either

Dinner = Scottish + working class thingy

Lunch  = English + middle class thingy

But we're all becoming more English and the English are becoming more American so don't worry, nobody will be calling it dinner for much longer and you won't have to ask.