Russell Duncan

tm4tj

I don't know what Russell has done to upset Butcher, but why oh why does he keep getting dropped out of a winning side to make way for players with less passion.

Was he carrying a niggling injury?

One of lifes great mysteries I suppose...........Well Terry, over to you.

• Agree 1

A very under-rated player - but I would say Russell is a vital part of our team.

Passion, skill, intelligence, vision.

I agree it's no mistake we came back onto a good game with his arrival.

Butcher's keen to play Duff - but I think we can see that Duff serves us best in defence with Duncan keping the holding role in midfield.

Edited by WeAreSPL

A very under-rated player - but I would say Russell is a vital part of our team.

Passion, skill, intelligence, vision.

I agree it's no mistake we came back onto a good game with his arrival.

Butcher's keen to play Duff - but I think we can see that Duff serves us best in defence with Duncan keping the holding role in midfield.

completely agree.

got no idea why butcher doesnt rate him. despite not being a flair player every team needs someone like Duncan in their team to mop up the mess in the centre of the park. great player who is vastly under-rated

I don't know what Russell has done to upset Butcher, but why oh why does he keep getting dropped out of a winning side to make way for players with less passion.

Been thinking about this and come up with one possible answer that lets Terry of the hook.

Could it be that McCann's contract demands he start if he's fit?

Been thinking about this and come up with one possible answer that lets Terry of the hook.

Could it be that McCann's contract demands he start if he's fit?

McCann was fit? :ponder:

I've noticed on several occasions, when TB is screaming instructions (for want of a better word) to the players, Russel Duncan is one of the few who is not afraid to yell back at him.

What TB should bear in mind is that we only began to string a run of good results together in the second half of last season when RD was consistently in the starting line up.

Russell's role is not about glamour, more workhorse doing a difficult task - albeit doing it well, McCann was poor on saturday, Shinnie was getting caught out of position which left Granty to cover, which in turn left spaces.

Why it took Butch so long to change it amazes me, but hey ho, we didnt get beat.

I didn't/don't rate him

Shame on you!

Over his many years of great service, there has been one noteable weakness. For Superman it is Kryptonite, for Russeldinho it is passing. Many of us have at times been frustrated (understatement!) by his poor passing, winning the ball then giving it away.

But from what I've seen of him this season he's sorted out that aspect of his game and I can't see any reason not to play him.

I used to loath him but after his performances last season Russell has become one of my favourite players.

Everytime Russell has played this season we have won, his performance against Aberdeen showed that he does a great job protecting the backline and always gives 100%.

I didn't/don't rate him

Shame on you!

Over his many years of great service, there has been one noteable weakness. For Superman it is Kryptonite, for Russeldinho it is passing. Many of us have at times been frustrated (understatement!) by his poor passing, winning the ball then giving it away.

But from what I've seen of him this season he's sorted out that aspect of his game and I can't see any reason not to play him.

The perceived issue people have with his passing is a bit unfair. He'll often make short, concise passes yet many people only pick up on an occasional misplaced pass. Watch him for a prolonged period during the next match you attend. His passing is ok in my opinion. In my eyes he can do no wrong for the remainder of this season. His goal against united was sublime - wonderful strike.

Agreed, Russell should be one of the first on the team sheet. When he plays we play.

As the above poster has pointed out, Russell's game has improved enormously since Terry n June arrived, I have no idea how or why this has been brought about, but, whilst his passion has never been in doubt, his passing has been, at times, dodgy. He now makes many less mistakes, and even shoots and scores with greater frequency.

It is not as if he is a young lad,

Russell Duncan - lets face it - is rather unpredicatable but I actually think that his skill level has actually improved with age as Gordy alludes to. He used to be soooo frustrating with his inconsistency but I would be peening him as a starter - even if this could be his swan song year - or should that be "especially because".