FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ian Black

Govan Jaggie

If he has done this would his previous clubs not have grounds to sue?

Never mind previous clubs, his current one won't be too happy if the reports are correct that the last (alleged) incident of betting against his own team was Albion Rovers v Rangers!

How does someone get caught out doing this sort of thing? I go to bookies and fill a slip and pay my cash. I dont give a name so how did he get caught or who grassed him?

It will be handy now for Sevco to get him off the wage bill especially with them heading towards liquidation. Very handy indeed.

^^^ This ^^^

If he has done this would his previous clubs not have grounds to sue?

Never mind previous clubs, his current one won't be too happy if the reports are correct that the last (alleged) incident of betting against his own team was Albion Rovers v Rangers!

Forgot to say current club too, my bad.

He is not the first, and is definately not going to be the last. Seemingly some of these bets were just a pound, so was he really going to throw a game for ten or twenty quid. just stupidity on Blackies part. By the way, not defending his actions, but how many footballers do you see going into the bookies, certain ones are there every day, and dont tell me they only bet on the horses, a habit is a habit

An ex team mate of mine lost the Highland League for blatantly betting on a result. Lets hear the evidence against Blackie is before sending to the gallows.

If you're talking about the 1993 Highland League title, Elgin were stripped of that because manager John Teasdale had their final game at Forres moved to the Friday night to allow himself and John MacDonald to play in advance of suspensions beginning. 

It was also alleged that Teasdale bet on Elgin winning that game 6-0... which they did. But despite an SFA investigation this was never proved. So I must have been mistaken in my belief, when standing just a few feet away from Teasdale on the night, that I heard Teasdale tell someone he had done just that!

So over a 7 year period he placed a bet not in favour of the club he played for 3 times, but in favour of the club that he played for 10 times  and placed another 147 bets on other football matches over a number of years.   At this stage it looks like he has just been stupid placing football bets  when its forbidden to do so. 

Looks like hes more stupid than devious or I should say unlucky,  last year ICT were I think 125/1  to win the league excluding Celtic, ew odds gave you 1/4 back for coming 3rd in the league.  so if anyone involved at  ICT placed that bet because they believed they could finish 2nd or 3rd, would they would be as bad as Blackie ?

Until more information comes to light theres nothing to prove that he has deliberately chucked a match,  ffs even the queen bets on horses including her own.

Edited by 12th Man
  • Agree 1

There have been some reasonably severe sentences dished out in England recently for breaching betting regulations.

Andros Townsend (Spurs) - 1 month ban and £18,000 fine

Cameron Jerome (Stoke) - £50,000 fine

Neither took part in any of the games in question or had bet against their own team. 

An Accrington director also got a 21 month ban from being involved in football, and £1,000 fine.

I'd wager that there are lots of nervous footballers wondering if they'll be next to be rumbled.

He is not the first, and is definately not going to be the last. Seemingly some of these bets were just a pound, so was he really going to throw a game for ten or twenty quid. just stupidity on Blackies part. By the way, not defending his actions, but how many footballers do you see going into the bookies, certain ones are there every day, and dont tell me they only bet on the horses, a habit is a habit

Very true, but they won't bet on their own team to lose a game in which they are playing and could have an influence.

Yeah! There will be a few internet/telephone accounts getting urgently cancelled! And twitter photos of betting slips being suddenly removed!

I was aware that wagering on games a player was directly involved in was banned but I didn't realise that they couldn't gamble on games they clearly had no influence on. Like the German Bundesliga for example.

It is widespread amongst players and always has been. It's not match fixing but sheer naivety! He's unlucky to be caught and likely made an example of. Maybe a Celtic fan who works in Ladbrokes decided to land him in it by reporting his betting pattern to the football authorities. Pure conjecture on my part about the 'fan' but seemingly Ladbrokes did report him as they're entitled to do.

Nowadays there are betting markets on everything - from number of corners to the number of throw ins. Indeed, there was an incident a while back that ex-Southampton legend, Matt Le Tissier openly revealed in his autobiography. It was a scam relating to time of first throw in. He had 'under 5 seconds' at 50/1. If they won the toss they would kick-off and implement the plan. If they lost, the chances are the opposition would choose 'ends' giving them the kick-off!

It transpired that they did start the game, Le Tiss got the ball tapped to him at the centre-spot and he proceeded to launch it out of play...unfortunately for him, in an attempt to make it appear a mis-placed pass, he under hit his kick and the bet was ruined!

He's unlucky to be caught

Perhaps he was also "unlucky" to find himself arrested and charged with possession of cocaine.

When the case collapsed last year because the key witness (nightclub bouncer) failed to turn up in court, Blackie's response to being cleared was, I kid ye not, "I just want to draw a line under this."

• Agree 1

Ross Tokely and Grant Munro will always be ICT legends. That can't be taken away. I was one of the doubters when Munro was released but Butcher was spot on! Recruiting Warren and integrating a young Josh Meekings into central defence then merging them into a partnership has been a master-stroke! Munro/Dods were good but I reckon this pairing is even better.

• Agree 2

Ross Tokely and Grant Munro will always be ICT legends. That can't be taken away. I was one of the doubters when Munro was released but Butcher was spot on! Recruiting Warren and integrating a young Josh Meekings into central defence then merging them into a partnership has been a master-stroke! Munro/Dods were good but I reckon this pairing is even better.

Had Munro been punted and immediately replaced by Warren and Meekings I would agree with you.  The season after his release though was a disaster and the defence would have been far superior had he been in it.  Remember he was replaced by Aldred, a player who wasn't that great and didn't want to be here, and there was even times when Proctor was played at centre-back!   In hindsight we should have kept him for one more year.

Tokely though was finished and really hasn't been missed at all.

Edited by Renegade