McKay's worth

bauhaus

Id say...right now, I could see ICT punting him for about £400k-500k, IF an offer came in.

I can't to be honest. Mackay is scoring for fun at the moment. He could be the difference between staying in the position we are in and the prize money for that position plus the money for getting a European spot.

Id say...right now, I could see ICT punting him for about £400k-500k, IF an offer came in.

I can't to be honest. Mackay is scoring for fun at the moment. He could be the difference between staying in the position we are in and the prize money for that position plus the money for getting a European spot.

I don't think we should sell him then. :thumbup:  

Wouldn't get too carried away about "profits from European Football".  Returns for games in the early rounds are minimal and it's not uncommon for teams to actually lose money from their participation due to having to spend on additional items to allow them to gain the standards required for licensing etc.

With McKay being the spl top scorer you would expect his value to be pretty healthy considering that hooper has been subject to offers of over £5m and he is 3 goals behind. But in the SPL it doesnt matter how good you are or how many goals you score, its all about the team you play for. If McKay was at Celtic he would he worth in the millions. At hearts, hibs, aberdeen perhaps750k-£1m. Dundee utd, killie, motherwell perhaps 500k-750k but at inverness i would expect clubs to bid about 3-400k for him. In my opinion ICT have never got value for money for the players they have sold as clubs do not want to pay the big bucks for players they still believe are from a small club

• Agree 3

^ I do agree, but regarding Hooper and other Celtic players they carry the level of over inflated values that players do elsewhere in Europe due to playing CL and in Hoopers case performing well and scoring in the CL. I don't think we can compare our players directly although I do agree they are often undervalued in comparison to other SPL clubs.

I'm struggling to think of any player we've sold that's gone on to be successful.  For most of our best players, the time just runs out on their contract.

Barry Robson and Don Cowie spring to mind

Cowie: pre-contract then moving for a nominal fee - I guess it's a sale but we couldn't have sold him for any more.  That is what I am getting at. 

Have we actually sold players for a fee that was under what we should have?  The ones that we may have gotten a few for (Black, Cowie, Dods etc), we couldn't have demanded much due to the contract situation.  Niculae wasn't worth more than what we got and Rankin was probably about right.

Any diamonds we had locked up in a long contract that we sold for peanuts?

Yeah, Robson was one, I'll grant you.  Any more?

Edited by starchief

As has been said, he's only worth what someone will pay for him. We've got to consider aswell though whether he's scoring because he's (on current stats) the best finisher in the league, or are we creating the chances that many strikers could finish. Obviously I can only comment from highlights this year and I'm sure you guys can tell me which side of the fence it falls on.

But if we could get £500k-£750k for him, replace him for cheaper with a striker who could finish the same chances, and strengthen other areas at the same time, is it worth it?