FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scottish PFA Manager of the Year shortlist

Yngwie

Shortlist of 4 announced, which I believe is based on votes from the current SPL and SFL managers.

Terry Butcher
Allan Johnston
Neil Lennon
Stuart McCall

What's almost as pleasing as seeing Terry on the list is seeing who's not on the list. :laugh:

• Agree 2

I hope Allan Johnston gets it, out of all the managers his task was probably the most challenging and to have won promotion at such a canter with QotS is nothing short of incredible. 

• Agree 1

My vote, if I had one would go to McCall. Motherwell's budget is not that much greater than ours and, like ours has been cut yet he has guided them comfortably into the second European place in consecutive seasons. Nor can I ignore the way his team have torn us apart three times already this season.

Lennon and Johnston have both done well at their own levels but Lennon has a budget equal to all his SPL rivals put together and Johnston had the addvantage of working with the only full time squad in his division.

Terry's case has merits but, in my view, McCall shades it.

I hope Allan Johnston gets it, out of all the managers his task was probably the most challenging and to have won promotion at such a canter with QotS is nothing short of incredible. 

Couldn't agree more.  Let's not forget that they won the 2nd division title before The Rangers won the division below.  Queens have 9 more points from the same number of games and a goal difference of 69 compared to The Rangers' 57.  Mind you, I would have thought Alan Archibald is unlucky not to be short listed as well.  If Partick beat Dumbarton at the weekend they will beat County's points total of last year when Adams got the award. 

Agree with the praise for the other guys, but in support of Terry:

Recent form aside, as well as some of the performances (especially October/November - apart from Motherwell) maybe Terry's decison to stick with the SPL got him some backing from managers. The media certainly made a big thing of it and it maybe validated the job as a manger in Scottish football in the eyes of some of the other managers. Quite a few did mention that at the time.

I know its about peformance of the team - but for me he's been entertaining with the media but also said his piece well, Not denying RC have performed above many's expectations but around derby/cup games Terry handled Adams superbly and made him look a right greetin divvy.

Neil Lennon voted for Adams and has said he will boycott the event if the person he wants to win isn't in in the running.

(maybe not entirely accurate but, you got to admit, for satire, it's biting!)

(no?)

They deserve each other.....

I like the Ricardo La Volpe style.  Jean-wearing and donut eating in the dugout!

Seems that wearing more casual clothes is fairly common in South America.  I'd much rather see a manager wearing smart looking jeans than godawful shorts and pulled up socks (or even worse leggings  :yuk: )! 

Edited by Renegade

Allan Johnston got the award! Can't fault what he's done, but it's pretty hard to judge how good a manger he actually is when he's got the only full time squad in Div 2.

Slightly demeans the award IMO. Queen of the south a well established first division side wins the 2nd division. Not exactly a surprise although well done for the way they managed it at least. McCall or butcher should have received it. Or if county manage the unthinkable and finish 3rd then Adams.